MLB and the Detroit Tigers Bandwagon Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    Randy Johnson did it in 2001 but got the third win as a reliever in Game 7. Only one I can think of off the top of my head cuz it was an "unusual" way to do it.
    DSL just likes talking about The Big Unit...
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Tell Randy I said hello as well.

And Mickey Lolich started and won 3 games in the World Series.

Randy 'won' his third game in a single inning of relief in Game 7.

From Wikipedia:

The Tigers came back from a three-games-to-one deficit to win three consecutive games, largely on the arm of Mickey Lolich, who was named World Series Most Valuable Player (MVP); as of 2022, he remains the last pitcher to earn three complete-game victories in a single World Series.​
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
        Tell Randy I said hello as well.

And Mickey Lolich started and won 3 games in the World Series.

Randy 'won' his third game in a single inning of relief in Game 7.

From Wikipedia:
        I agree with you that 3 complete game wins in a World Series probably won't ever happen again, but like me and Dr. Strangelove said, in the last 22 years, someone did win 3 games in a World Series. Besides, having the Big Unit on your team that year would have even made the 2001 Detroit Tigers almost relevant.

Yeah, right. Randy Smith would have traded away the Big Unit for a broken-down player or 2, just like Avila did when he traded away Verlander and J.D. Martinez.
        "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
        My friend Ken L

Comment

• Baseball miscellany:

1. Every team in the AL Central has a losing record. Pretty rare this deep in the season.

2. Best record over the last 10 games: The Reds are 9-1.

3. Worst record over the past 10 games: The Royals are 1-9.

4. Best overall record in MLB: Still the Rays (.680).

5. Best record in the NL: The Braves (.639).

6. Worst record in baseball: The A’s (.257).

7. Worst record in the NL: The Nats (.380).

8. Fewest runs allowed this season: The Rays (272)

9. Most runs allowed: The A’s (465).

10. Most runs scored this season: The Rangers (439).

11. Fewest runs scored: The A’s (262).
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The A’s may end up being a historically bad team. They’re trying hard, anyway.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The AL Central is like if the Big10 created a division with Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, and Rutgers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                The AL Central is like if the Big10 created a division with Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, and Rutgers.
                lol, I assume one of the teams will get on a run and get to .500 by August, but woof.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

lol, I assume one of the teams will get on a run and get to .500 by August, but woof.
                  Francona has a history of good second halves but with this particular squad, I dunno. Will be less feasting on fellow Central dregs.

Comment

• IIRC the NFL has had a few teams make (and even host) playoff games with a losing record...winning the division...
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Francona is a genuinely nice guy. He used to manage the Birmingham Barons. I’ve only spoken with two managers in my life (the other was Bobby Cox - His mom lived here).

Comment

• The last place team in the AL East (Boston) would be in first place in BOTH the AL and NL Central

Comment

• Sounds like the Big Ten West...
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                            Francona is a genuinely nice guy. He used to manage the Birmingham Barons. I’ve only spoken with two managers in my life (the other was Bobby Cox - His mom lived here).
                            Francona is only about 90 wins shy of hitting 2000 alltime managerial victories. There's only a dozen other guys that have that many. I was kind of hoping he'd do that with us but between his health and the shitty kind of year we're having, not sure he's gonna make it.

Comment

• Incidentally, the manager with the most career victories to never even win a pennant? Gene Mauch

Gene Mauch - Wikipedia

Comment

• The Tigers are 13-8 in the Central this year which is tops in the division only 4 games out.
                                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X