No announcement yet.

Michigan vs. FSU, Orange Bowl, 8pm, ESPN, Game Day - Post Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not a fan of the football coach being so consumed with the refs. It may make the fans light up but I believe it is counterproductive.

Comment

• Rich Eisen's emotional response to the Michigan/Ohio State game if anybody's interested (in the link)

AAL: KhaDarel Hodges

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
        I am not a fan of the football coach being so consumed with the refs. It may make the fans light up but I believe it is counterproductive.
        My hope is that in the team-only setting he's telling them something productive about this. And then it's time for Manuel to take on this particular issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
          My hope is that in the team-only setting he's telling them something productive about this. And then it's time for Manuel to take on this particular issue.
          Yeah maybe, I think it is counterproductive in the game situation. There are so many things in a game situation that you need to have a cool head. There are always going to be plays in which you feel they are wrong. If they warn you on the sidelines about throwing your headset or jawing with the ref, you have to stop. That is imperative.

Comment

• I thought Wormley and McCray were very good in their postgame interviews.
            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              I am not a fan of the football coach being so consumed with the refs. It may make the fans light up but I believe it is counterproductive.
              I don't know about that anymore. It certainly pays dividends in basketball. Football -- I'm not sure but we should definitely be playing up any advantage that we can get. If you get fucked over by the refs at least publicly call them out and try to get them fired so that any ref will think twice about fucking you over in the future. In really big, close games and in rivalry games Michigan has been on the receiving end of about a dozen massive screw jobs in my lifetime that have directly affected outcomes of those games. We have gotten, at the most, one or two of those in return.
              Last edited by Hannibal; November 29, 2016, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• There's a right way/wrong way. Phil Jackson was so good at this. I don't know if Harbaugh's losing it on the sidelines impacted his in-situ decisionmaking, but there's no question in my mind that Meyer was smarter in how he took risks. Maybe if the tables were turned and every coin-toss call were going against Meyer, he would have reacted different.

But now that we're at the point we're at, well, Harbaugh's approach probably is going to require a scalp before we get the changes we want. If the conference can issue him a fine and a between-the-lines fuck you, and no ref gets hurt at all, then that's a loss. I don't think we're at the point of no return with this, but if it gets to that point Michigan will have to get somebody banned or fired or something before getting any of the benefits Phil Jackson did with his particular ways.

Honestly, I don't know that the screwjob balance is as bad as Hannibal says. They just tend to stand out in memory. I'll never forget the refs putting Burke on the bench with foul trouble, protecting Dieng and Hancock, and then blowing the whistle AGAIN on Burke for The Block. I'll never forget Spartan Bob, and now I won't forget Buckeye Bobby. But I'm sure there are plenty of times we got lucky that I do forget.

Either way, I think the way to go forward is through Manuel, not Harbaugh. Do some of you know how precisely the AD interacts with the conference in that way? I don't know. I'm just presuming that that would be the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  I don't know about that anymore. It certainly pays dividends in basketball. Football -- I'm not sure but we should definitely be playing up any advantage that we can get. If you get fucked over by the refs at least publicly call them out and try to get them fired so that any ref will think twice about fucking you over in the future. In really big, close games and in rivalry games Michigan has been on the receiving end of about a dozen massive screw jobs in my lifetime that have directly affected outcomes of those games. We have gotten, at the most, one or two of those in return.
                  Yes because I'm quite sure refs are trying to fuck teams over...hilarious...make them "think twice"...absolutely hilarious.

Priceless. Val Nation type stuff.
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I think you can work the refs in basketball more than football.

I don't have a catalog of all of the Michigan screwjobs, so I can't comment on it. I thought the spot should have been short, but spots are not an exact science. I think the key is was Harbaugh more concerned with the spot than the next play. At worst it is a first down on the 15, hold them to a field goal and win it in the 3rd OT.

Comment

• Most coaches I know "work" the officials...wing officials try to establish a rapport with coaches...communication is key...but when a coach flips out Ala Pelini...and HARBAUGH! on Saturday...it will not help you. There is a right way to communicate.

One non call on a PI should not warrant a tirade. Just saying.
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Read up on the relationship between Joey Crawford and Tim Duncan, perhaps.

This is why big data on this stuff would really help. If somebody charted every foul in the NBA we would see some really interesting patterns on who calls what on which players. I'm sure the same exists in football.

Comment

• More so in pro than CFB...
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                            Most coaches I know "work" the officials...wing officials try to establish a rapport with coaches...communication is key...but when a coach flips out Ala Pelini...and HARBAUGH! on Saturday...it will not help you. There is a right way to communicate.

One non call on a PI should not warrant a tirade. Just saying.
                            You keep ignoring that it wasn't one call. It was a parade of 50/50 calls -- coin-toss kind of calls -- and all of them went OSU's way. By the ninth or tenth time, calls for civility are almost a provocation. You're asking someone to compensate for your own incompetence/bias. That's not reasonable. Better to ask for ``the right way to communicate'' if you aren't completely fucking up to start.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                              More so in pro than CFB...
                              The only names of refs I know are the ones who seem to have agendas, like John O'Neill and now the three I have been introduced to from Saturday, or the utterly incompetent, like Ted Valentine. Or, in the NBA, guys like Joey Crawford or Bennet Salvatore, who draw attention to themselves. And of course there's always Phil Luckett...

Comment

• Yes there is a "right way" to communicate hack...which can help a coach avoid an USC penalty.
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X