NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DANIEL SNYDERO, WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM
    The Washington Football Team has been fined $10 million following a league investigation into the franchise's workplace culture.

The investigation came after at least 15 former employees alleged sexual misconduct in the workplace. Owner Daniel Snyder's wife Tanya will assume leadership of day-to-day operations while Daniel supposedly focuses "on the stadium and 'other matters.'" Although an unprecedented sum for an NFL fine, it still amounts to a slap on the wrist for the billionaire owner. The league's report has also set forth 10 specific recommendations the nameless football team is supposed to follow. In theory, there will be consequences if not. The club has "semi-annual reporting obligations through July 31, 2023."

... See More
    SOURCE: NFL
    Jul 1, 2021, 3:37 PM
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Didn't know to put this under a Goff or Stafford thread so I'll just put it here.
      I think it's a video some on here would like to watch.

Comment

• Considering that one of them has many Super Bowl rings as any other franchise because he's frequently surrounded by incredible talent, and the other only has one because his franchise actively refuses to do so is a pretty simple counter to all that "style" nonsense the video preaches.

Comment

• The Lions were voted the worst-run franchise in sports history. Now we're the 2nd worst, Thank you, Washington Football Team.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdk2002 View Post
            The Lions were voted the worst-run franchise in sports history. Now we're the 2nd worst, Thank you, Washington Football Team.
            No chance. Lions still hold that honor - until they find a way to win some playoff games.
            Call them whatever you want, but don't call them worse than the Lions. Lions are in a class by themselves when it comes to playoff futility.

Comment

• Originally posted by kdk2002 View Post
              The Lions were voted the worst-run franchise in sports history. Now we're the 2nd worst, Thank you, Washington Football Team.
              They still have 3 Super Bowl championships, while we haven't even been to one yet.

I know that this was before Snyder bought the team, but my point still stands.

Now, if Snyder lasts as long as WCF Sr. did as the Owner of the Detroit Lions, and is just as inept--and I think that he has a very good chance of doing that, then we can compare the two franchises.
              "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
              My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

They still have 3 Super Bowl championships, while we haven't even been to one yet.

I know that this was before Snyder bought the team, but my point still stands.

Now, if Snyder lasts as long as WCF Sr. did as the Owner of the Detroit Lions, and is just as inept--and I think that he has a very good chance of doing that, then we can compare the two franchises.
                The Lions pre-Ford = Washigton Pre-Snyder

Ford Lions = Snyder Team

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

The Lions pre-Ford = Washigton Pre-Snyder

Ford Lions = Snyder Team
                  Not even close.
                  Snyder's Washington team - 2 playoff wins (one against Detroit)......
                  Lions - 1 playoff win in the Ford era.

Snyder's Washington team - 4 Division titles
                  Lions - 3 Division titles in the Ford era.

Ford's have owned the Lions for what? 60 years?
                  Snyder has owned Washington for what? A little over 20?

Snyder by default won't reach Lions levels of futility under the Ford ownership until what? 2060?

Comment

• I wish.
                    "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Not... exactly? They can sure as hell make it as uncomfortable as possible for someone to own a team to the point where they are compelled to sell to someone else (kinda like Donald Sterling with the LA Clippers in the NBA), but if an owner simply refuses to sell no matter what... a league is kinda stuck.

Comment

• Originally posted by edindetroit View Post
                        I wish.
                        Pre-Ford they won what 3 Championships in the 50's? So yeah they were really good until Bill Clay put his stank on it.

Comment

• Anybody want us to trade for Harry...

Looming N’Keal Harry divorce underscores New England’s struggles with young receivers

Posted by Mike Florio on July 7, 2021, 8:21 AM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

The bad news is that the Patriots made receiver N'Keal Harry the 32nd overall pick in the 2019 draft. The worse news is that they supposedly had him graded “a lot higher” than that.

Now that his agent has done what agents are supposed to do when it comes to salvaging Harry’s career, attempting to quit the Patriots before he’s inevitably fired, the broader question is this: Why do the Patriots keep getting it so wrong with rookie receivers taken in the upper rounds of the draft?

Who can remember Aaron Dobson, a second-round pick in 2013? More accurately, can anyone remember Aaron Dobson? Then there was Taylor Price, a third-round pick in 2010.

Brandon Tate, a third-rounder in 2009, was cut after two seasons. Second-rounder Chad Jackson became a bust as the 36th overall pick in the draft.

Other than Deion Branch, a second-round pick in 2002 who became a Super Bowl MVP, the Patriots have struggled to find competent, productive, consistent receivers in the first three rounds of the draft.

It’s easy to attribute these issues to a failure to make good draft decisions. And that surely becomes a factor, especially with coach Bill Belichick and company often valuing intangibles like leadership and love of football over raw ability.

At some level, however, the question becomes whether the Patriots are properly developing these players. Is the coaching staff sufficiently patient with young receivers who may be overwhelmed by the Patriots Offense and/or The Patriot Way? Or do they quickly pivot to someone else, treating these young players with the same sink-or-swim standard that applies across the roster?

Whatever the case, a 2019 first-rounder seems to be on his way out. And the Patriots drafted Harry with guys like D.K. Metcalf, A.J. Brown, Deebo Samuel, and Terry McLaurin on the board.

Comment

• Derek Carr wants to beat Davante Adams in the Super Bowl, then recruit him to the Raiders

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 7, 2021, 4:57 AM EDT

USA Today

Derek Carr isn’t done talking about a reunion with Davante Adams.

Carr, the Raiders quarterback who played with Adams at Fresno State, said on Cris Collinsworth’s podcast that tampering rules don’t apply to players, and so Carr will continue talking to Adams about coming to Las Vegas, even though Adams is under contract to the Packers for another year.

“Davante, he’s one of my best friends,” Carr said. “I’m gonna offer him whatever I gotta offer. I’ll buy him a car, whatever I’ve got to do I’ll offer that man. I know he would fit in great with the receivers we have here. He would fit so well in that room. I’m allowed to say those things. Our organization isn’t, but I’m going to say it. He’s my best friend, I think he’s one of the best — he’s the best receiver in the NFL.”

Carr said his ideal scenario would be the Raiders beating the Packers in the Super Bowl in February, and then Adams signing with the Raiders in free agency in March.

“He’s focused on being a Packer and I know that because I see how he works,” Carr said. “I know how he works and I know how much it means to him. He’s focused on that and I’m focused on trying to get to the Super Bowl, win the Super Bowl, hopefully he’s in it so I can beat his butt too. That’s the plan, then recruit him over to the dark side.”

Adams has been more cautious, saying he won’t talk about playing for anyone but the Packers right now. Carr, however, will keep talking about how much he’d like the two former Fresno State teammates to be teammates in Las Vegas.

Comment

• I want Kayvon on the Lions...

Oregon’s Kayvon Thibodeaux partners with Nike’s Phil Knight, Tinker Hatfield on NFT deal

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on July 7, 2021, 2:30 AM EDT

Getty Images

Oregon defensive end Kayvon Thibodeaux, a favorite to be a top five pick in next spring’s NFL Draft, has struck a deal on an NFT (non-fungible token) commissioned artwork with Nike owner Phil Knight and noted shoe designer Tinker Hatfield.

Life is filled with many trials and tribulations, but God has guided my steps and provided me with great opportunities AND the clarity to navigate them with wisdom and integrity,” Thibodeaux wrote in announcing the deal on his Twitter account. “It holds true that God brings people in your life for a reason and I’ve been so fortunate to have both Phil Knight, creator of Nike, and Tinker Hatfield, Designer of some of the most popular Air Jordans, believe in me and my prophecy. I’m honored to announce my first collaboration with Phil Knight — the Kayvon Thibodeaux Art piece, created by Tinker Hatfield, inspired by my success on the field.”

Knight has been a long-time donor and supporter of Oregon’s athletic program. The partnership is one of numerous deals being struck between college athletes and businesses following the NCAA’s new interim name-image-likeness regulations going into effect.

“The art is completely hand-drawn on my iPad using Sketchbook Pro,” Tinker said of the artwork. “He’s an extraordinarily large and quick athlete with game-changing ability. I hope I captured his athleticism and the impact he’s made for the University of Oregon.”

Thibodeaux was the Pac-12 Freshman Defensive Player of the Year in 2019 and was a first-team All-Pac-12 selection last year. In his two seasons with Oregon, Thibodeaux has racked up 12.0 sacks and 77 total tackles.

Thibodeaux currently has the third-best odds to be selected No. 1 in the 2022 NFL Draft behind Oklahoma State quarterback Spencer Rattler and North Carolina quarterback Sam Howell.

Comment

• No opt outs for 2021

Posted by Mike Florio on July 6, 2021, 4:50 PM EDT

Getty Images

The window closed on Friday. The official news as to whether anyone opted to go through it came today.

Per multiple reports, the official transaction report (which officially will be released probably by the time this is published) shows that no players opted out for the 2021 season.

It’s no surprise, given the availabilities of vaccines in 2021 and the fact that so few opted out in 2020. Still, any player who signed his most recent contract before October 1, 2020 could have done it, for any reason.

That doesn’t entirely end the matter, however. If, for example, a guy like Bills receiver Cole Beasley decides he won’t get the vaccine but he resents operating under 2020 rules when the vaccinated get to party like it’s 2019, Beasley could simply retire for 2021 and return next year.

Of course, Beasley would owe $1.5 million in unearned signing bonus money. Opting out would have held everything in place for a full year.

As we originally pointed out (and, as Big Cat happily predicted on PFT Live, everyone else would repeat it without giving us credit), Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers could have saved more than $20 million by opting out of the 2021 season instead of sitting out while under contract. This doesn’t mean he won’t sit out; as we’ve also explained, Rodgers and his representatives believe that, if he never plays for the Packers again, he ultimately won’t be paying back a penny to the corporation that owns the team.

Rodgers also could retire for a season and then resume his career in 2022, when the Packers finally decided to trade him. If they don’t change their minds about not trading him in 2021. They’d surely not pay his $6.8 million roster bonus, earned in March but due in weekly installments during the season. The question would become whether they’d pursue his $11.5 million signing bonus allocation for 2021, previously paid out under the presumption he’d earn it this season by playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X