X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marquise Goodwin to compete in long jump at Olympic Trials Friday

Posted by Josh Alper on June 24, 2021, 10:58 AM EDT

Getty Images

Bears wide receiver Marquise Goodwin was an Olympian before he was an NFL player and his bid for another spot on the U.S. team will get underway on Friday.

Goodwin will take part in the long jump qualifying round at the Olympic Trials in Eugene, Oregon on Friday. If he advances, Goodwin will jump for a spot on the team on Sunday.

Goodwin won the Olympic Trials in 2012 before finishing 10th at the London Summer Olympics. He failed to qualify for the team in 2016 while he was playing for the Bills and planned to try for the team last year before the Tokyo Olympics were postponed to this summer.

“My chances are always high because you never know what could happen on that day,” Goodwin said, via Colleen Kane of the Chicago Tribune.

The track and field competitions in Tokyo will take place from July 30 to August 8, so Goodwin will miss training camp time if he does make the team. He told Biggs the Bears have been supportive of his quest and we’ll know soon if they’ll have to plan for life without the wideout this summer.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• A Billionaire driving a mini-cooper...

Mark Davis involved in a fender bender in his Mini-Cooper

Posted by Mike Florio on June 24, 2021, 9:31 AM EDT

Getty Images

Raiders owner Mark Davis doesn’t have a driver. Also, Raiders owner Mark Davis drives a Mini-Cooper.

That’s the takeaway from the news, via TMZ.com, that Davis was involved in a Wednesday fender bender in a shopping complex on the Vegas.

The accident was sufficiently minor that police weren’t called to the scene. Per the report, no one was injured.

So let’s get back to the more stunning aspect of this. Davis drives around Las Vegas by himself, with no security, in a Mini-Cooper. It’s charming and folksy and relatable, but it’s not very prudent. Instead, it could be the starting point for the next season of Fargo.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• NFL, NFLPA agree on key 2022 offseason dates

Posted by Mike Florio on June 23, 2021, 7:51 PM EDT

Getty Images

The gap between the conclusion of one season and the beginning of another is getting smaller and smaller. This year, the closing of the door on 2021 and the opening of the door on 2022 will be separated by nine days.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL and NFL Players Association have agreed that the first major 2022 offseason event — the opening of the two-week window for application of the franchise and transition tags — will arrive on February 22. That’s only nine days after Super Bowl LVI will be played in L.A.

The window for applying franchise and transition tags closes on March 8, and the new league year begins on Wednesday, March 16, at 4:00 p.m. ET.

Offseason workouts for teams with new head coaches may commence on April 4. For all other clubs, the offseason program may begin on April 18. The draft will begin on Thursday, April 28, and it will end on Saturday, April 30.

Comment

• Wow 2 guys I know, 2 ex-Lions and 1 current Lions coach...

Stories of NFL stars losing millions of dollars and ending up poor are cautionary tales. Here are some former NFL stars who are surprisingly poor.

FORMER NFL STARS WHO ARE SURPRISINGLY POOR

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
            I'd like to see a Blue Helmet

I know everyone hated the black uni's but I'd love to see a black helmet with the blue Lion on it. I think it would look awesome
            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
              Wow 2 guys I know, 2 ex-Lions and 1 current Lions coach...

Stories of NFL stars losing millions of dollars and ending up poor are cautionary tales. Here are some former NFL stars who are surprisingly poor.

FORMER NFL STARS WHO ARE SURPRISINGLY POOR
              What is amazing is that how FAST these guys became poor.
              Some of them had to file for bankruptcy right after they retired from the game.
              It's as if they were already at a negative balance while they were playing and earning all that money.

Comment

• Everyone gets a piece of that pie and they generally aren't getting what is reported. Those eye popping figures are for the agents to brag. You see these type of stories far more often with foot all players than the other sports I remember reading a story about former NFL players with their health and finances and one of the subjects said compared to his college teammates, he was was curse to be an NFL player, all of his college teammates were better off by not having that curse.

Comment

• A lot of bad investments, they have these rookie symposiums and they could boil it down to, "invest in index funds."

Comment

• Things are a lot different today as most of these athletes can make more money with endorsements as they do playing the game.

Good old Dan Marino and his isotoner gloves!
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Well that is why you need to get a second and a third opinion there.
                      Memorial Day 2018!

Comment

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
                        Where's Packie?
                        Sorry I'm late to the party fellas.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          A lot of bad investments, they have these rookie symposiums and they could boil it down to, "invest in index funds."
                          I'm reminded of a line from Richard Pryor that while dealing with coke - applies here.
                          When talking about Leon Spinks. "I don't care how much he sniffs, put it away (money) and sniff the interest"....

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            A lot of bad investments, they have these rookie symposiums and they could boil it down to, "invest in index funds."

I think injuries play more of a consideration with football too. SOME guys act like the music isn't going to end. But, then they have an injury that knocks them out of the game and now the spending is much more then the take home. Players also take out loans against future pay and get screwed that way too.

Ingie's (Mark Ingram Sr) got in trouble hanging out with Lawrence Taylor. Carl (Banks) told me he told Mark not to try and hang-out with LT. He didn't listen and got hooked on drugs. LT could drink and do coke and have chicks all night and be on point the next day with no effect.

Dre Rison had/has to pay a lot of money from child support. His initial BM and my wife are close friends.

That's why I find A Kamara to be one of the smartest players ever. Do you know he has never spent ANY money from the NFL? That is some serious discipline.

Comment

• I thought it was cool what Kamara said about his NFL salary. He’s been making bank of endorsements so he’s not living like a hobo either. Still cool.
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Bruce Smith: ’90s Bills had a gay player, the rest of the team didn’t care

Posted by Mike Florio on June 28, 2021, 2:19 PM EDT

Getty Images

It’s widely been believed that any gay players on the locker rooms of yesteryear remained deeply closeted for fear of being bullied or judged or ostracized. That wasn’t the case universally.

Hall of Fame defensive end Bruce Smith recently told TMZ.com that the Bills of the 1990s had at least one gay player on the team, and that the rest of the team didn’t care.

We had a gay player in our locker room,” Smith said. “I think it was the mid-to-late ’90s and I think we might have had two but that wasn’t what we were focused on. . . . We were focused on winning games and each and every person that was in that locker room contributing to the goal at hand which was winning football games. None of that other stuff mattered. This was about winning football games and trying to be a good person.”

That’s the way it should be, and that’s hopefully the way it now will be. Ideally, it won’t be a big deal for a player to be openly gay. At some point, hopefully it will be as normal and nonchalant for players to be gay or straight or whatever label applies to whoever they are.

“Judge me by my character and judge me by the way I treat people,” Smith said. “If we show a little bit more love and compassion in the world, this will be a much better place.”

Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib announced that he’s gay a week ago, and the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. More importantly, the story subsided fairly quickly — a sign that maybe the NFL is a lot closer to treating it as no big deal and irrelevant to who the person is, as a football player and beyond.

Comment

Working...
                                X