• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's going to get knocked the F out!

Chad Johnson prepares for June 6 boxing debut

Posted by Mike Florio on May 26, 2021, 7:44 PM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

Former NFL receiver Chad Johnson won’t be fighting former NFL cornerback Pacman Jones on June 6, on the Floyd Mayweather-Logan Paul undercard. Johnson will nevertheless be fighting someone.

Johnson will face bare-knuckle fighter Brian Maxwell in the first fight of the evening.

To prepare for the fight, Johnson is working out in Houston with Jermall and Jermell Charlo.

My goal is to get out alive,” Johnson told Cameron Wolfe of ESPN.com. “I want my face still intact. I want my kids to still know it’s me. But I want to entertain. I don’t want to embarrass those who put the time and energy into me. People who are buying tickets, people that are showing up, I want them to leave and say, ‘I doubted Ocho, but to see him get in the ring, knowing that someone tried to kill [him]. He put on one hell of a f–king show.'”

Per Wolfe, Maxwell has an 0-3 record as a bare-knuckle fighter, with a pair of losses by knockout. Maxwell also has participated in one standard boxing match (he lost), and he has compiled a 2-3 record in MMA competition.

Johnson, as we reported earlier this month, refused to fight Jones. Johnson clearly didn’t refuse to fight Maxwell.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Never forget and never let any fool tell you that you don't need weapons. ,

Comment

• IKR? It makes no sense.
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• ROGER GOODELLCOM, NFL
          The 2022 salary cap will be no higher than $208.2 million.

The final number could still come in lower. It's a big step up from this year's COVID-deflated $182.5 million, but not as high as it would have been in a world where COVID-19 didn't exist. It would nevertheless be the highest in NFL history after 2019's $198.2 million number.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
          May 26, 2021, 2:46 PM

Comment

• First-Round Pick Offered For Falcons’ Julio Jones

May 27th, 2021 at 8:52am CST by Zachary Links

The Falcons have received several trade offers for Julio Jones, including one that includes a first-round draft pick, sources tell Dianna Russini of ESPN.com (on Twitter). Russini adds that there’s a sense around the NFL that a trade could go down as early as next week.

Plenty of teams figure to have interest in the wide receiver. It’s been said that the Patriots, Titans, and 49ers could be among those in the mix.

Well, you know I’m not legally allowed to talk about players on other teams, so I can’t answer that exactly the way you want me to,” Niners head coach Kyle Shanahan said earlier this week. “Anyone I’ve coached in the past that I have a relationship with, especially a great dude like Julio, obviously I have a ton of respect for. We’re always interested in improving our team. We’ll never just say, ‘Hey, we’re done. We can’t improve our team.’ You always try to make that happen. But, yeah, it makes it harder when you’ve already given up some stuff to make some moves and things like that.”

Jones would round out an offense that features tight end George Kittle plus young receivers Brandon Aiyuk and Deebo Samuel. He could also help the Pats restore some of the firepower they lost when Rob Gronkowski took his talents to Tampa. Meanwhile, A.J. Brown seems to think that he’d look good in Titans blue.

Trust me, if you want to carry the load, you can carry it,” Brown said to Jones on Instagram (link). “But if you get tired, you know I can carry you.

Comment

• There's a funny out there with AJ Brown trying to recruit Julio.

Comment

• 1st RD pick for Julio might be worth it. Julio has been so injury prone lately and is 32 years old.
                Something I question is drafting Kyle Pitts AND trading Julio Jones. Falcons signify that they are in "win-now mode" by drafting Pitts, but then Julio is traded? That does nothing for your team in 2021.
                I also would love to see Ridley, Julio, and Pitts on the field together for the Falcons. That would be entertaining. Sadly it seems like that ship has sailed.
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                  Never forget and never let any fool tell you that you don't need weapons. ,
                  The question has always been - where do you get those weaponz.
                  You only get one 1st Rd pick every year - and Millen showed us that going that route makes a joke of the rest of the team.
                  Fast forward 10 years - and the Lions take 3 1st Rd TE's....
                  Ugh....

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                    1st RD pick for Julio might be worth it. Julio has been so injury prone lately and is 32 years old.
                    Something I question is drafting Kyle Pitts AND trading Julio Jones. Falcons signify that they are in "win-now mode" by drafting Pitts, but then Julio is traded? That does nothing for your team in 2021.
                    I also would love to see Ridley, Julio, and Pitts on the field together for the Falcons. That would be entertaining. Sadly it seems like that ship has sailed.
                    One thing playing fantsy offers is knowing some things players do well or don't. Julio is infamous with not getting in the end zone. That isn't worth it IMHO

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post

The question has always been - where do you get those weaponz.
                      You only get one 1st Rd pick every year - and Millen showed us that going that route makes a joke of the rest of the team.
                      Fast forward 10 years - and the Lions take 3 1st Rd TE's....
                      Ugh....
                      Yes, only look for offensive weaponz after day 1.

Comment

• Millen showed us if you don't know what your doing, just give them a great attitude, a shtick and a bunch of key words.

He isn't the only one using that method to keep themselves in a position that they're screwing up in.

Comment

• Patriots become the betting favorites to land Julio Jones

Posted by Mike Florio on May 28, 2021, 9:18 AM EDT

Getty Images

The markets are moving.

After just a few days, the Patriots have rocketed to the top of the odds for the next Julio Jones destination. The PointsBet sports book has moved the Patriots from +700 to +150, making them the current favorites to land the Falcons receiver.

The Titans likewise have surged, from +1000 to +200.

The 49ers have fallen from the +450 favorite to +500. The Rams, which have neither the cap space nor the draft picks to easily pull it off, have landed at +500 as well.

The Colts, recently +475, are down to +800. Ditto for the Chargers, who also have slid to +800 from +475.

Baltimore and Jacksonville come in at +900.

The window opens, as a practical matter, for a Julio Jones trade on Wednesday, June 2. The biggest questions are the trade compensation the Falcons will receive, and whether and to what extent Atlanta will have to pay any of Jones’ $15.3 million base salary for 2021 in order to get a deal done.

Comment

• Brandon Jacobs “serious” about an NFL comeback as a defensive end

Posted by Charean Williams on May 27, 2021, 8:50 PM EDT

Getty Images

When we last saw Brandon Jacobs, he was a 31-year-old running back for the Giants in 2013. Jacobs now says he wants to return to the NFL in 2021 as a 39-year-old defensive end.

“Well since Tebow came back after being off a good bit, I am announcing today that I [want] to . . . comeback,” Jacobs tweeted. “I will play defensive end for whatever team gives me a chance!!!”

Tim Tebow, of course, is getting a second chance in the NFL as a tight end, a position he has never played, because his college coach, Urban Meyer, now is coaching the Jaguars. Tebow hasn’t played an NFL regular-season game since 2012.

Jacobs, who turns 39 in July, is unlikely to get a chance to return to the NFL as a defensive end.

Jacobs, though, is trending on Twitter after making clear he is not joking. He last was listed at 6 foot 4, 264 pounds, and in a photo he shared on social media, it looks like he’s in shape.

“I am really serious about coming back as a defensive end,” Jacobs wrote. “I can still run, I am strong and there’s no way Tim Tebow is a better athlete than I am. I just need a shot that’s it!! If I can’t cut it I’ll take it like a man. Just give me one chance that’s all!!”

In 109 career regular-season games, Jacobs rushed for 5,094 yards and scored 64 total touchdowns. He added 461 rushing yards and five total touchdowns in 11 postseason games.

Comment

• Return of two helmets remains possible for 2021

Posted by Mike Florio on May 27, 2021, 7:54 PM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

The NFL has been considering the possibility of dumping the rule that limits players to one helmet per season. That rule is unpopular for many, because it necessarily prevents teams from using throwback or alternative uniforms based on helmets with a different color than their base helmets.

According to the NFL, there’s still no update on the possible return of multiple helmets for 2021. Even though the issue wasn’t raised at the ownership meetings conducted this week, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said that this change, if it happens, requires no discussion or vote among ownership.

The issue first emerged last year, when Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians mentioned that the Bucco Bruce throwbacks could return in Tampa for 2021. Said the league at the time in response to an inquiry sparked by Arians’ comments: “There will be no change for the 2020 season. There are ongoing discussions for a potential change for the 2021 season, but no decisions have been made.”

It’s unclear when a change will need to be made in order to be implemented, if at all, for 2021. For teams like the Buccaneers or the Patriots to take advantage of the opportunity to use a white helmet with old-school uniforms, they’ll need time to get the uniforms ready to go.

Speaking of the possibility for Buccaneers and the Patriots throwbacks, that’s the only thing that could make their heavily-anticipated Week Four showdown in New England more compelling. Bucs in the creamsicles, Pats in the original Pat Patriot gear.

Comment

• Jared Veldheer addresses suspension, announces retirement

Posted by Charean Williams on May 27, 2021, 5:47 PM EDT

Getty Images

The NFL on Thursday suspended free agent offensive tackle Jared Veldheer for six games to open the 2021 season. Veldheer, though, released a statement to NFL Media announcing his retirement.

He also addressed his positive test for performance-enhancing drugs, saying prescribed medication triggered it.

I was prescribed low dose clomid due to abnormally low T (likely caused from pituitary damage suffered from repeated blows to the head),” Veldheer wrote, including the parenthesis. “I recommend this to any veteran who is struggling from post-football issues. I also plan to retire, at this time, from the NFL.”

Veldheer, who turns 34 next month, has played only three regular-season games the past two seasons. He appeared in 121 games, starting 114, in 11 seasons after the Raiders made him a third-round choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X