No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ Henderson traded to Carolina with a 5th rounder for TE Dan Arnold and a 3rd rounder.

Basically ... JAX gave up on CJ Henderson. Yes, I would've wanted the Lions to get him ... but he must be a problem in the locker room
    WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
      CJ Henderson traded to Carolina with a 5th rounder for TE Dan Arnold and a 3rd rounder.

Basically ... JAX gave up on CJ Henderson. Yes, I would've wanted the Lions to get him ... but he must be a problem in the locker room
      I was thinking the same thing. The kid is a top 10 selection last year. I damned sure would have given a 3rd for him. Wow great trade for Carolina
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• CJ Henderson will probably be good in Carolina too. Still very young and talented. Jaguars organization is entirely different than when they drafted Henderson…. Not surprising when a new regime wants to move on from a player because of scheme changes.

Panthers saved Sam Darnold’s career. Why not Henderson.
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• SHOTS FIRED!!!!!

Tyler Boyd: The Steelers gave up on Sunday

Posted by Josh Alper on September 27, 2021, 2:10 PM EDT

Getty Images

Bengals wide receiver Tyler Boyd grew up outside Pittsburgh and went to Pitt, so games against the Steelers carry a little extra weight for him.

Sunday’s should linger in his mind for a while. It was the first time that the Bengals have won in Pittsburgh since Boyd joined the team and he caught the first touchdown of the game for Cincinnati.

On Monday, Boyd was asked about what message the win sent to other teams about the Bengals and his answer included a rather pointed critique of how the Steelers finished out the 24-10 loss.

“I think the good thing about that win was, not only did the Steelers feel that, everybody in the country felt it,” Boyd said, via James Rapien of SI.com. “Because the last plays of the game for them, they gave up. You could see it. They had three drops in a row. For a team to see that is giving us more power, giving us the antidote to know how good we are. For a team to just lay down like that before the game is over because no matter how much were are losing by or whatever the case may be, I know me, I know us, we’re not going to give up. We’re going to continue to try and make something happen. But they portrayed it to the whole nation on TV what they were about and how they gave up.”

The Bengals and Steelers will meet again in Week 12 and Boyd’s words will likely come back up ahead of that matchup, especially if they prove to be prescient about the fight the Steelers have in their belly this season.

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Andy Reid released from hospital, is expected to be back at work Monday or Tuesday

Posted by Myles Simmons on September 27, 2021, 1:20 PM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

The Chiefs have provided another positive update on head coach Andy Reid after he left the stadium in an ambulance following Sunday’s game against the Chargers.

According to the team, Reid has been released from the hospital and is expected to return to the facility for work either later on Monday or on Tuesday. The Chiefs noted Reid is in good spirits and is doing well.

Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy are slated to speak to the media in Reid’s place on Monday.

“The most important thing is coach Reid, so we’re glad that he’s feeling better,” Spagnuolo said, via Herbie Teope of the Kansas City Star.

Reid was on the sideline for the entirety of Sunday’s game and addressed the team after the 30-24 loss to Los Angeles.
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• For a 5th rd pick...

Matt Rhule: We’ve liked CJ Henderson for a long time

Posted by Myles Simmons on September 28, 2021, 9:12 AM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

The Panthers traded for cornerback CJ Henderson on Monday, acquiring the No. 9 overall pick of the 2020 draft in part to help replace this year’s No. 8 overall pick Jaycee Horn.

Horn will be out for months, if not the rest of the season, after breaking a few bones in his foot in last Thursday’s win over the Texans. And at 3-0 with a top defense, the Panthers appear in position to make a playoff push this year.

But Carolina head coach Matt Rhule said on Monday that acquiring Henderson is a long-term move, calling it not a “Band-Aid” but “an opportunity.”

“CJ Henderson is somebody we liked a long time,” Rhule said, via David Newton of ESPN. “Any chance you have to get a top-15 draft pick from the year before, it’s very unique.”

Rhule noted that the Panthers considered selecting Henderson last year at No. 7 overall, a pick they used on defensive lineman Derrick Brown.

“This is not a right-now, this-week conversation,” Rhule said. “This is about the next two years, three years. On defense, as you can see, when you have a bunch of good players, it’s fun to watch. So just hopefully he’s one more guy in that group.”

Carolina is currently No. 1 in yards allowed and No. 2 in points allowed this season.

Comment

• What's the word on Jags sending him out? Didn't he have some locker room/attitude knocks coming into the league? Good cheap gamble by Carolina for sure.

Comment

• Josh Gordon plans to sign with Chiefs

Posted by Josh Alper on September 27, 2021, 4:10 PM EDT

Getty Images

Wide receiver Josh Gordon‘s next comeback bid will take place with the Chiefs.

Gordon’s agents said, via Adam Schefter of ESPN, that their client is headed to Kansas City and plans to sign with the Chiefs. The NFL told Gordon last week that he is being reinstated from his latest suspension.

Gordon’s lates suspension went into effect in January after a conditional reinstatement granted in December was rescinded. He last played in the NFL with the Seahawks in 2019 and saw time in the Fan Controlled Football league earlier this year.

Gordon had seven catches for 139 yards in five games with Seattle. He had 60 catches for 1,007 yards and four touchdowns in 17 games for the Patriots in 2018 and 2019. He entered the league as a Browns second-round pick in the 2012 supplemental draft. He had 137 catches for 2,451 yards and 14 touchdowns in his first two seasons, but served a 10-game suspension in 2014 and missed all of the next two seasons while suspended.

Tyreek Hill leads Chiefs wideouts with 19 catches for 267 yards and a touchdown through three games. Mecole Hardman, Demarcus Robinson, Byron Pringle, Marcus Kemp, and Daurice Fountain are the other receivers on Kansas City’s roster.

UPDATE 5:05 p.m. ET: Herbie Teope of the Kansas City Star reports that Gordon is signing to the practice squad and that the Chiefs plan to elevate him once he’s up to speed.

Comment

• Too bad it didn't happen in a Lions game or it could be a SOL moment. Wait... You mean to tell me weird sh!t happens to every team? WTF?!!! No!

Penalty flag hits incoming punt, causes muff

Posted by Mike Florio on September 27, 2021, 3:19 PM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

One of the most overlooked plays from a nutty day in the NFL happened at the tail end of the first drive in Jacksonville.

Cardinals receiver Rondale Moore muffed a punt. He muffed it because, as it fell toward Moore, it was struck by a penalty flag thrown by an official.

Stunned by the events, Moore eventually chased the loose ball. Fortunately for the Cardinals (and for the official who threw the flag), the Cardinals recovered.

We included the moment in our Monday superlatives on PFT Live, giving the effort the Randy Johnson Award, in honor of the time the former MLB pitcher turned a bird into a puff of feathers. As it turns out, the uncle of Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray was the batter on that occasion, Calvin Murray.

Comment

• PFT’s Week Four 2021 power rankings

Posted by Mike Florio on September 28, 2021, 11:57 AM EDT

Getty Images

1. Rams (3-0, Last week No. 2): Based on Sean McVay’s reaction to taking the lead at halftime on Sunday, a Super Bowl win might cause him to spontaneously combust....

27. Lions (0-3, No. 29): If only someone had bitten Justin Tucker‘s kneecap when they had the chance.

Dog Biting GIF

Comment

• Welp! We are getting more respect

Comment

• Richard Sherman visiting Buccaneers

Posted by Josh Alper on September 28, 2021, 10:00 AM EDT

Getty Images

Richard Sherman has been looking for a place to play for some time and he will be headed to Tampa as part of that search.

NFL Media reports that Sherman will be visiting with the Buccaneers. It won’t be the first conversation between Sherman and the team.

Buccaneers head coach Bruce Arians confirmed last week that the Buccaneers reached out to Sherman after Sean Murphy-Bunting‘s Week One elbow injury. They saw Jamel Dean go down with a knee injury in Sunday’s loss to the Rams and Carlton Davis has been on the injury report, so the team has a need for healthy bodies at the position.

Sherman was charged with five misdemeanors after a July incident involving his wife and her family, but said recently that “a momentary lapse in judgment” shouldn’t outweigh the rest of his career. We’ll see if the trip to Tampa is the first step toward Sherman continuing his career as a member of the Buccaneers.

Comment

• Bet ya didn't know the current INT leader in the league (I had no idea)

Bengals’ Logan Wilson on NFL interceptions lead: Good things happen when you run to the ball

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 28, 2021, 9:55 AM EDT

Getty Images

Bengals linebacker Logan Wilson is an unlikely candidate to lead the NFL in interceptions, but that’s where he was after Sunday’s win over the Steelers, when Wilson picked Ben Roethlisberger twice.

Wilson has three interceptions this season (tops in the NFL, a mark that Dallas’s Trevon Diggs tied on Monday night), and he said Sunday that he just tries to hustle to the ball and find himself in the right place at the right time.

“I was just turning and running to the ball and that’s where it happened to be,” Wilson said of his first interception. “I’m a firm believer that good things happen when you run to the ball.”

Wilson chuckled when asked about his second interception, acknowledging that Roethlisberger threw it right to him. But on a day when Roethlisberger repeatedly threw short, safe passes, Wilson repeatedly found himself in the right place to stop the Steelers in the middle of the field, with 14 tackles in addition to his two interceptions.

The Steelers have to be concerned that if Roethlisberger can’t start making more big throws downfield, a lot of linebackers are going to have big games against them.

Comment

• Archie's gonna lay down the law...

Eli Manning flashes a pair of middle fingers on Monday night

Posted by Mike Florio on September 28, 2021, 9:38 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Manning brothers are working blue, and in so doing paying homage to the man who owned the Luv Ya Blue Houston Oilers.

On Monday night, Eli was explaining the reception that his Giants got in Philadelphia (as demonstrated in the attached photo). To make his point, Eli fired off the double-barreled middle fingers for the cameras.

As he did it, he expressed an assumption that the middle fingers would be blurred. He apparently was later informed as to the way live TV works. Via the New York Daily News, Eli later addressed the gesture.

“Earlier I gave the double bird, I’m sorry, I guess that’s frowned upon,” Manning said. “That’s what a 9-year-old did to me, I thought I could do it back.”

When Bud Adams did it 12 years ago at a game, the NFL fined him a whopping $250,000. Eli surely will face no such consequence.

As to those wondering about a possible FCC fine, that only applies to broadcast networks, not cable. There’s no governmental sanction for anything Peyton or Eli (or their guests) say or do.

If anything, it’s a benefit for the Manningcast. It creates more buzz and higher ratings. The show had tremendous growth from Week One to Week Two. Week Three likely will be strong, too. However, it will be four weeks until the Manning can build a bigger audience and/or make more inappropriate gestures.

Via Jimmy Traina of SI.com, Peyton said last night that the Manningcast will press pause for the next three weeks. The Manningcast resumes in Week Seven, for the Saints at the Seahawks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                                What's the word on Jags sending him out? Didn't he have some locker room/attitude knocks coming into the league? Good cheap gamble by Carolina for sure.
                                Multiple things going on from what I read.

Jaguars perspective:
                                1. Jaguars prefer rookie 2nd RD CB Tyson Campbell. Urban regime drafted Campbell. Not too surprising with a regime change.
                                2. Henderson has underperformed and been injured since entering the NFL. There are questions about his fit with their new culture. We saw the downside of this under Marinelli and Quinntricia as talented players were shipped out because they weren’t culture fits.
                                3. Jaguars fans aren’t too happy because it’s another wasted top 10 pick.
                                4. Urban Meyer loves TEs?

Panthers perspective:
                                1. Jaycee Horn is out for a while. This trade takes a shot on a high upside player that can potentially replace Horn.

I will give the Panthers the benefit of the doubt because they appear to be the smarter organization right now. Note Sam Darnold’s revival.
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X