Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underrated...

DAVID BELLWR, CLEVELAND BROWNS
    Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said third-round WR David Bell can play both outside and slot roles.

"I think he has versatility outside and inside," Stefanski said during rookie minicamp. “He has a competitiveness both in route-running and in route-catching, and the ability in the route-running game to set people up." Browns.com’s Andrew Poisal called Bell, who played outside at Purdue, the “frontrunner” to replace Jarvis Landry in the slot. With no proven options behind Amari Cooper and the support of the Stefanski, there’s a chance Bell opens the season in two-wide sets.

SOURCE: clevelandbrowns.com
    May 20, 2022, 6:24 PM
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• KELLEN MONDQB, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
      Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell said second-year QB Kellen Mond is "having a good spring so far."

"Working incredibly hard, digesting the system," O'Connell said. "He made a couple checks yesterday at the LOS that he wasn't prepared play by play for...he just instinctively did it. Those are the little things you look for." Former coach Mike Zimmer did not appear to be fond of the young quarterback, but he is getting off to a better start with the new coach. Barring a trade, Kirk Cousins' contract seemingly will keep him in Minnesota for at least the next two seasons, but perhaps Mond can make a case to be a viable quarterback of the future option.

SOURCE: Will Ragatz on Twitter
      May 20, 2022, 1:38 PM
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
        Naw man. FMP is pulling strings. 3rd round = 1st round to that so-called genius. Even the draftee knows it was a major reach

Cole Strange asked “Is this a prank?” when Patriots called him on draft night

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 20, 2022, 12:38 PM EDT

Getty Images

Everyone was surprised when the Patriots drafted Chattanooga guard Cole Strange in the first round. Including Strange himself.

In fact, Strange wondered if he was being pranked when he got a call from an unknown number and the voice on the other line said he was from the Patriots, letting Strange know he was going to New England with the 29th overall pick in the 2022 NFL draft.

Cole’s father Greg Strange told MassLive.com that the call came as a shock.

“[Cole] said, ‘Sir, I don’t mean to be disrespectful at all, but I’ve gotta know because I’ve got some crazy friends. Is this a prank?’ The guy said, ‘Hold on just a second.’ And then Bill Belichick got on the phone and of course, unless you’ve been under a rock for the last 20 years, you know Bill Belichick’s voice,” Greg Strange said. “As soon as I heard Bill Belichick’s voice, Cole and I both started screaming and hugging and acting crazy. Probably saying a bunch of inappropriate stuff. We were so excited. To his credit, you’ve gotta love the guy, Belichick is sitting there and when we got through, the first break he had, he said, ‘Hey Cole, you’ve gotta act like you’ve been there, man.’ It was classic to us. We absolutely loved it.”

Strange was not expected to be a first-round pick, and Belichick took some criticism for a pick that many viewed as a reach. Even Strange didn’t see it coming.
        That is a great story.

Comment

• Broncos are building offense “completely around” Russell Wilson

Posted by Mike Florio on May 23, 2022, 9:23 PM EDT

Getty Images

The core of the friction between the Seahawks and Russell Wilson was simple. They didn’t let Russ cook.

More specifically, the offense didn’t run through Wilson. The offense wasn’t built around him. Coach Pete Carroll wanted to win with suffocating defense and a ground-and-pound running game. Wilson’s skills became more necessity (especially when the Seahawks were trailing in the second half) than luxury.

In Denver, Wilson finally gets his wish. He’ll be the centerpiece of the attack, the same way Patrick Mahomes is in Kansas City, Josh Allen is in Buffalo, and Aaron Rodgers is in Green Bay, just to name a few.

On Monday, the first day of Denver OTAs, new head coach Nathaniel Hackett explained to reporters the process of making Wilson fit the offense. Or, more accurately, of making the offense fit Wilson.

“We want to build this thing completely around him and make sure that he’s comfortable and watch him come alive,” Hackett said. “I think he did some awesome things today utilizing his athleticism, and at the same time, being just a pure drop-back passer. I think there were a lot of good things. We just have to keep developing that– the integration of the system, his feel with the rest of the team and how he is with the other guys — the wide receivers, tight ends — and getting those guys all on the same page.”

The best news is that Wilson seems to be completely beyond last year’s finger injury.

“[When] he throws the ball, it’s beautiful,” Hackett said. “He’s what we call a natural thrower. The guy just can spin it. Then watching him today make some of the plays he did with his feet and dodging and moving, it was like me when I was in flag football back when I was younger. He’s doing great, and we’re excited to see him just keep owning that system.”

That’s the key. Wilson now owns the system; the system no longer owns him. It will be very interesting to see how that affects Wilson’s performance in 2022.

Comment

• Dwayne Haskins’ widow releases statement

Posted by Charean Williams on May 23, 2022, 7:03 PM EDT
            Getty Images

After the Broward County Medical Examiner released the finding that Dwayne Haskins’ death was accidental, Haskins’ widow issued a statement.

“Dwayne Haskins Jr. was tragically killed on April, 9, 2022,” Kalabrya Haskins said in a statement released by attorney Rick Ellsley. “He was a loving and dedicated husband, a son, and a brother. He wanted to be a father and eventually a grandfather. He was a humanitarian who loved children and animals.

“As a young man, Dwayne was a nationally recognized scholar-athlete while in high school in Maryland. Dwayne was a record-breaking quarterback for the Ohio State Buckeyes. He was an All-Big Ten academic student-athlete. Dwayne was the MVP at the Big Ten Championship. He was MVP at the Rose Bowl. He was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy. Dwayne was the 15th overall pick at the 2019 NFL draft for Washington.

“When he passed away, he was a quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers and he was loved by his coaches and teammates.

“Dwayne Haskins was all these things and so much more.

“On behalf of Dwayne’s wife, his family, and his memory, and on behalf of the truth, we respectfully request and pray for privacy, for patience, and for the public to withhold any judgment during this period while the law enforcement authorities continue to investigate and conduct their important work.”

Haskins was struck by a dump truck on Interstate 595 on April 9. According to a toxicology report, Haskins had alcohol levels of .20 and .24 on separate samples taken from his body, which are above the legal limit in Florida of .08.

Comment

• Eagles claim Jimmy Moreland off waivers

Posted by Josh Alper on May 23, 2022, 4:38 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Eagles signed James Bradberry last week and they added another cornerback to the roster on Monday.

According to multiple reports, the Eagles claimed Jimmy Moreland off of waivers. Moreland was cut loose by the Texans at the end of last week.

Moreland joined the Texans last year after being waived by Washington. The 2019 seventh-round pick played in 30 games over his first two seasons, but only got on the field seven times during his year in Houston.

Moreland has 88 tackles, a half-sack, an interception, and a forced fumble over his entire career.

Bradberry and Moreland are joined in the cornerback group by Darius Slay, Avonte Maddox, Kary Vincent, Zech McPherson, Tay Gowan, Josiah Scott, Mac McCain, and Craig James.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                Dwayne Haskins’ widow releases statement

Posted by Charean Williams on May 23, 2022, 7:03 PM EDT
                Getty Images

After the Broward County Medical Examiner released the finding that Dwayne Haskins’ death was accidental, Haskins’ widow issued a statement.

“Dwayne Haskins Jr. was tragically killed on April, 9, 2022,” Kalabrya Haskins said in a statement released by attorney Rick Ellsley. “He was a loving and dedicated husband, a son, and a brother. He wanted to be a father and eventually a grandfather. He was a humanitarian who loved children and animals.

“As a young man, Dwayne was a nationally recognized scholar-athlete while in high school in Maryland. Dwayne was a record-breaking quarterback for the Ohio State Buckeyes. He was an All-Big Ten academic student-athlete. Dwayne was the MVP at the Big Ten Championship. He was MVP at the Rose Bowl. He was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy. Dwayne was the 15th overall pick at the 2019 NFL draft for Washington.

“When he passed away, he was a quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers and he was loved by his coaches and teammates.

“Dwayne Haskins was all these things and so much more.

“On behalf of Dwayne’s wife, his family, and his memory, and on behalf of the truth, we respectfully request and pray for privacy, for patience, and for the public to withhold any judgment during this period while the law enforcement authorities continue to investigate and conduct their important work.”

Haskins was struck by a dump truck on Interstate 595 on April 9. According to a toxicology report, Haskins had alcohol levels of .20 and .24 on separate samples taken from his body, which are above the legal limit in Florida of .08.
                .2 is pretty hammered. It's no reason to vilify the guy, though.
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• You figured Haskins was on something. That whole incident was strange for someone being sober.

Comment

• Open thread: What changes should the Lions make to their offense?

After significant changes throughout the offseason, can the Detroit Lions put together a capable offseason in 2022?

Comment

• I don't think their offensive philosophy changes much overall. Their struggles last year were talent related, not coach related. Anthony Lynn was scapegoated imo. The media loves to credit Campbell but I think Decker and Reynolds had far more to do with their improvement than the play caller change. They didn't start off conservative, they got that way after injuries. They were still just as conservative with Campbell until Reynolds showed up and gave them a competent outside receiver.

None of their signings suggest they are gonna change anything up. They are still set up for a power run game and playaction, Outside receivers that can stretch the field and let Hock, St. Brown and Swift work. The difference will be if they stay healthy or can weather more injuries.

Comment

• I think the rumors that Goff and Lynn were not on the same page seem legit.

Comment

• Why didn't we say no to Stafford's trade request? He doesn't seem like the guy who would throw a tantrum.
                          "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                          Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Lion View Post
                            Why didn't we say no to Stafford's trade request? He doesn't seem like the guy who would throw a tantrum.
                            Because Stafford didn’t want to go through another rebuild. Our leadership weren’t going to force that. It was the right move
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                              I think the rumors that Goff and Lynn were not on the same page seem legit.
                              Exactly. I don’t think Lynn was made out to be a bad coach just a bad fit for the team once the rubber hit the road.

My one “coulda, woulda, shoulda” is that Holmes screwed the offense with little to no help with WR to start the season. I’m not sure any OC could have made a difference. Everyone knew the WR room needed more talent.
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Exactly. I don’t think Lynn was made out to be a bad coach just a bad fit for the team once the rubber hit the road.

My one “coulda, woulda, shoulda” is that Holmes screwed the offense with little to no help with WR to start the season. I’m not sure any OC could have made a difference. Everyone knew the WR room needed more talent.
                                Tank, tank, tank....

Comment

Working...
                                X