No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh. Media people trying to link the Lions to Mayfield just reinforces my dis-like of these idiots. Feels so similar to the pre-draft 1st rd mocks they did with those backup QBs being mocked in the first. Florio loses credibility every time he tries to put him here. Mayfield is not what they want here. He's cancerous and would topple all the good juju they've accumulated since being hired.

I wish the media (on this Baker situation) would just understand this: The rest of us could care less if Baker doesn't play. And he isn't a "better" solution in most places.

Reports sharply conflict on whether Seahawks want Baker Mayfield

Posted by Mike Florio on July 5, 2022, 11:58 PM EDT

Getty Images

The truth regarding Seattle’s interest in Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield remains muddled, And that may be exactly how the Seahawks and/or the Browns want it.

On Tuesday afternoon, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media said the Seahawks have never had strong interest in Baker Mayfield. On Tuesday evening, Josina Anderson of CBS Sports, who recently reported that the Seahawks continues to have a high level of interest in Mayfield, took issue with Rapoport’s characterization, calling it “inaccurate.”

If the Seahawks are interested, they’re doing a great job of keeping it from becoming as obvious as, say, the Panthers’ interest in Mayfield. Carolina and Cleveland had trade talks during the draft. The negotiations fell apart over the respective portions of Mayfield’s $18.8 million salary that the Browns and Panthers would pay. More recent reporting indicated that the interest isn’t dead, even after the Panthers pulled the plug during the draft and picked Matt Corral.

Seattle, which did its best to misdirect everyone for months on whether Russell Wilson would be traded, possibly is doing the same thing here, working to create the impression that they aren’t interested despite being interested in upgrading from Geno Smith and the U.S. Open’s new favorite punching bag, Drew Lock. It makes sense to keep it quiet, for multiple reasons. They want to get Mayfield as cheaply as possible, both as to draft picks and compensation. With no one else poised to pull the trigger, and with the chances of the Browns and Mayfield coexisting somewhere south of slim and none, the Browns need two viable suitors in order to get the best possible deal that they can.

Over the weekend, we tried to identify the full universe of teams that could or should be interested in Mayfield, as a better option to the best they currently have at the top of the depth chart. Including the Browns, who absolutely should want to keep Mayfield if they lose Deshaun Watson for the full season, 11 teams should at least be thinking about it.

It’s a combination of chess, checkers, and chicken. Someone will eventually make the move. The Seahawks may simply be waiting for the right time to do so, while maintaining plausible deniability in the event that it doesn’t happen. In their first season post-Russ, they can’t afford to create the impression that they don’t believe in Smith or Lock, if they can’t get Mayfield. But they still don’t want Mayfield badly enough to just get it done and move on.

As the clock ticks toward the start of training camp, something needs to happen. Mayfield doesn’t seem to be inclined to take an excused absence from camp while the Browns wait for a quarterback to get injured and for someone to cough up a first-round pick and more, like the Vikings did for Sam Bradford in 2016, when Teddy Bridgewater suddenly was lost for the season in late August. Mayfield wants to get it done, so that he can commence the process of learning a new offense and a new team and a new coaching staff and a new everything, in order to have the kind of season that will set him up for a new contract.

Will it be Seattle? Will it be some other team that has spent the slow time studying game film and OTA tape and wondering whether Mayfield gives them a better chance to win as many games as possible in 2022?

It can happen at any time. It needs to happen soon, or an awkward situation between the Browns and Mayfield could get downright acrimonious.

That could be what the Seahawks are counting on. That the Browns will cut and run in order to avoid another distraction in an offseason featuring more than a few of them.

Regardless, if someone else truly believes in Mayfield, and if Mayfield is all-in with that team, they should just go ahead and do it. If it works, the extra stuff they have to surrender via trade compensation or salary won’t matter. If they wait too long, it will become harder to make it work — and they may not get him at all.

Yes, Detroit Lions, I’m talking directly to you.

Hey
    No Way Middle Finger GIF by Tony-Jazz
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• So much for all that LOL

Source: Cleveland Browns trade Baker Mayfield to Carolina Panthers for conditional draft pick

"Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Darnold would be a good backup but it just doesn't work that way. Goff would not take that very well and then we would have a real issue.
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Baker = 5th rd conditional

Sounds about right

Comment

• Good, glad Mayfield found a home that isn't here. I disagree about him being cancerous but he is skill capped. He just made no sense whatsoever over Goff. I understand Mayfield played hurt a lot last year but Goff was the better QB of the two. Comparing both players best seasons and overall production Goff is still better.

The problem is that Florio's hot take will do nothing to his credibility because most NFL fans don't know any better and also think it was a good idea. Mayfield is probably a step above Darnold but that isn't saying much. I was laughing my ass off when they chose Darnold over Bridgewater in desperation. Not that Bridgewater is a star or anything but he's been better than Darnold and probably Mayfield.

Granted, sometimes these things can be personality or leadership decisions. I think thats why the Colts moved Wentz. Because the media/fan turnover machine narrative was bs based off of a couple bad ones on National TV. He finished the year with only seven and just hasn't been that guy other than as a rookie and his last year in Philly where they weren't protecting the QB.

Comment

• Mike Florio must be shell shocked right now. He can’t talk about Mayfield to the Lions anymore… at least for the time being.

The trade makes sense. It was always going to be Mayfield to Carolina or Seattle. Now it’s a Mayfield vs Darnold competition. With how terrible Darnold looked after ~week 3, I say Mayfield wins.
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Baker was cheap. Didn’t they move a 2nd and 3rd for Darnold?

Comment

• That had to be one of the most anti-climactic trades ever......

Comment

• Nah

Baker is just not good A lot of fans enjoy his boyish rah rah. But that is not a "winning" ingredient.

Here's what his noew OC had to say about him previously:

Ben McAdoo Was Not a Baker Believer in 2018

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/06/panthers-oc-ben-mcadoos-baker-mayfield-sam-darnold/

He’s got an edge to him, I like that. He’s gonna lead, they’re gonna follow him,’’ McAdoo said of Mayfield. “I didn’t see a lot of pro-style football in his college tape. And if you’re short you have to be able to make up for it some way, somehow, and personality doesn’t do that. I didn’t think he was a great athlete. This guy is kinda like a pocket quarterback that is short and with small hands, that’s what I worry about.”
                    About Darnold:

Analysis of Sam Darnold

“I think the kid the Jets drafted has a lot of magic in his game,’’ McAdoo said. “I think he’s special. He’s obviously a talented guy, he can make plays with his feet. I’d just have a hard time drafting a guy in the first round where you don’t necessarily like the way he throws.

“He can overcome it, guys have, but that’s something that’s a challenge for me. I’m gonna be looking at that, trying to fix it, because it’s a fundamental flaw, and I believe in the fundamentals. The quarterback, his No. 1 job is to pass the football. If I don’t like the way he throws the ball, I have a hard time picking him, right?’’
                    Ouch
                    Last edited by Futureshock; July 7, 2022, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• Dude came in the league talking big smack. Checks his az couldn't cash

Comment

• Report: Recording of comments from accuser’s son undermines one of the claims against Deshaun Watson

Posted by Mike Florio on July 7, 2022, 8:15 PM EDT

Getty Images

Last week, we suspected that there would be an effort this week to push back against some of the allegations against Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson. On Thursday, some reporting along those lines emerged.

Josina Anderson of CBS Sports has shared, via a series of tweets, some information that undermines the claims of one of Deshaun Watson’s accusers.

Here’s the full report from Anderson: “I’m told there’s a recording of an interview with the adult son of 1 of 12 women the NFL interviewed in the Deshaun Watson case — stating his mom initially was complimentary of Watson in their conversations after the massage, but later switched her account and tone after negative allegations surfaced about Watson. The son intimated his mother intended to reward his silence, per league source. There’s a feeling that the NFL was initially cagey about details they learned from the woman’s son — after only mentioning they interviewed him in their report. The son’s recording was later reviewed by Watson’s side revealing the aforementioned details — presumably illuminating why this particular accuser was not included with the 5 women the NFL ultimately focused on at the hearing.”

It’s unclear whether the woman in question has settled her claims against Watson. Of the 24 plaintiffs, 20 have resolved their claims.

Whatever the reason(s), the NFL ultimately focused on five and only five cases despite the fact that at least 24 women have made allegations against Watson. That’s the extent of the league’s evidence. And Anderson confirms our report from last week that, as to the five cases on which the NFL focused, there was no evidence of violence, force, threat or coercion.

On Monday, the parties will submit their written materials in support of their respective positions. Then, we’ll wait for a ruling from Judge Sue L. Robinson, the disciplinary officer presiding over the case.

Comment

• FMIA Guest: 30 Ideas On Improving NFL, From New Rules To Relegation

Posted by Peter King on July 11, 2022, 12:00 AM EDT

USA TODAY Sports/NBC Sports

Peter King is on vacation until July 18, and he lined up some guest writers to fill his Monday spot on Football Morning in America. Today’s guest is you, the reader, with 30 ideas on improving NFL.Many times over the years I’ve found myself thinking, I’ve got some smart people who write to me. So [more]

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                            FMIA Guest: 30 Ideas On Improving NFL, From New Rules To Relegation

Posted by Peter King on July 11, 2022, 12:00 AM EDT

USA TODAY Sports/NBC Sports

Peter King is on vacation until July 18, and he lined up some guest writers to fill his Monday spot on Football Morning in America. Today’s guest is you, the reader, with 30 ideas on improving NFL.Many times over the years I’ve found myself thinking, I’ve got some smart people who write to me. So [more]
                            Cut Out The Flag-Waving

Steve Larson, Central Virginia

Let’s stop using the NFL as a military recruitment tool. No more silly camouflage in team colors for the coaches, unless they really need to hide from somebody on their own team. War is not a game like football, and the consequences of war are far more brutal and lasting than any army will admit. Let’s not treat war as just another game alongside football; let’s stop playing pretend with our young people.

Thought-provoking, Steve.
                            Amen.

Move The Super Bowl To Saturday Night

Rob Jensen, Voorhees, N.J.
                            I know the old school fans will clutch their pearls at such a notion since it had been referred to as Super Bowl Sunday for most of my 50 years alive. But one thing we have learned in watching sports is that baseball has failed in making their most important games available to younger audiences. It makes no sense to me to hold the most important game in the season, and the parties that go along with it, on a school night. Having the game on a Saturday would make it more accessible to kids and the millions of us who have to get up early for work the next day.”

You get no argument from me. I love the idea.
                            Bill Miller, Savannah, Ga.
                            I grew up in the fifties in Detroit, with Bobby Layne and the Lions winning three championships during that decade. Unfortunately, in 1960, William Clay Ford bought into the Lions. Over the past 61 years, the Lions have won one playoff game. We have had William Clay running the team, then Billy, then a bunch of sisters, grandmothers and others. How many coaches and GM’s have failed in Detroit over this period? The common denominator is that the Fords picked them.

I have a proposal for a new NFL rule. If a team does not win a playoff game in 10 years, the team must be sold to another owner, or the NFL must step in and pick the next GM, similar to Pete Rozelle forcing the Giants to hire George Young as GM in 1979.

Cool idea, but it’s one lawsuit from one spurned owner away from being overturned.
                            Ha! But let's give Sheila another 5 years.

Tanking Insurance

Jamie McIntyre, Braintree, Mass.

It is time to reward the teams that narrowly miss the playoffs. The teams just out of the playoffs should get the top picks. This approach rewards the attempt to win instead of the need to lose games to one day be competitive. Competitive franchises that are a notch below playoff contention should not have to sink to the bottom for a chance to rise to the top. Perennial bottom-feeders are likely in that position due to a failure in leadership at the top, which would also incentivize those teams to make changes. Stagnant leadership would also be limited under this plan, hopefully.

Never heard this before, and it has merit. Thanks.
                            I actually like this. And it makes sense.

Return Training Camps To Campuses

Chris Fried, Philadelphia
                            There is something special about going to see an NFL team practice during the dog days of summer. The sound of pads hitting in the early morning mist; the oohs and ahhs that spring forth from fans after a big play; the interaction and closeness that fans have with players and coaches; the feeling that football is a game and not a business. This is what fans had when training camps for NFL teams were held on college campuses. Unfortunately, today almost all NFL teams hold their practices at their facilities, where few fans can come and watch.

I have the memories of attending training camp (Philadelphia Eagles at Lehigh University) from when I was younger. For young fans of today, they have no such memory and will never have the chance to experience what I had the opportunity to enjoy.

I’ve said for years that teams moving away from campus training camps is a blight on the NFL, and on the future for young fans. Just look at Kansas City’s camp at Missouri Western University in St. Joseph, Mo. Fans get close to the action, can touch players, can get autographs, can see their team being formed before their eyes. Teams build chemistry at the same time.
                            I loved seeing them at SVSU. Seemed like you could meet and talk to them in a more down to Earth setting. At AP everything seems so artificial and more

Make Any Play Challengeable But Allow Just One Challenge

A.J. Irbe, Sachse, Texas
                            Allow the Bill Belichick long-desired “anything is challengeable/reviewable” by instant replay, but only one per team per game. The drama of when to use that challenge would be really interesting. Would a coach use it to try to get a holding penalty on the other team that negates a touchdown in the middle of the first quarter? Or do all the coaches hold on to it until the fourth quarter when the stakes are the highest?

Really interesting, A.J.
                            I would make this one un-turned challenge. As long as the coach is right, he'll maintain the ability to challenge

Adopt A Fun CFL Rule

Brent Morgan, Midland, Texas
                            All backfield players can be in motion or, at a minimum, wide receivers can get a head start to the line of scrimmage like they do in Canadian football. This will likely create more confusion for defenders and require better schemes by coordinators of both teams. It would be fun to see what Kyle Shananan, Sean McVay or Andy Reid would create. Scoring would increase, I think, and the games would be more fun.

At first, the movement would look quirky. But you’re right—it would add an element of excitement to the offensive game.
                            I would absolutely love this. I love this in the CFL and I think it adds to the entertainment

Bring Sanity To First-Down Measurements

Logan Scheuer, Milwaukee
                            My improvement idea for the NFL is regarding the first-down marker. I understand the chain gang is traditional and helpful to have sideline judges, but there have been instances where a pileup might make the spot tricky, or like the Packers’ first-down gain that ended their playoff game against the Seahawks in the 2019 season. The solution is from the football across the pond with a term called ‘Goal Line Technology.’

This technology is basically a camera tracking system in the stadium during games that keeps up with where the soccer ball is on the pitch throughout the game. In soccer, unlike football, the ball must cross the goal line entirely to be a goal—instead of simply breaking the plane. With goal line technology, the cameras track the ball and if there is any doubt if the ball fully crossed the goal line or not, it maps out the ball on a 3D image relative to the goal line. If it does cross the goal line entirely, an encrypted signal is sent to the referee on the pitch directly within one second through either a wristwatch or earpiece for an instant decision.

NFL teams have no lack of funding and can install the system (or one of the other forms of goal line technology) in each of the 32 stadiums. It would add clarity and decisiveness for the first-down markers, and even the end zone. This will cut down on the need for time-consuming replays and using coach’s challenges for the spot of the ball.

It’s very, very hard to argue with this logic.
                            It's been time.

Nip Away At The Time Of Game

Richard O’Hagan, Beaconsfield, England

Football is a great and complicated (maybe overcomplicated) sport. However, as a longtime British fan who has benefited from the efforts of the NFL to expand the game across the world, it has always puzzled me that they have not addressed the one factor that people in other countries see as a turnoff, which is the length of time that it takes to play a game....
                            Absolutely NO

I agree that the game can be long in real time, but, it is not entirely the sport. A couple of years ago the standard time break for commercials in the NFL was 2 minutes exactly. Then across the entertainment world, Commercial breaks had an additional :30 seconds added for each break.

People have looked at Replays in the negative because it adds time to the game but it is small (around 3-5 minutes a game) as compared to that (conservatively, let's say 16, but I think it is closer to 20). Which would mean 8 - 10 minutes was added to your viewing time without an announcement or an utter of communication.

The "2:30" commercial break is here and it's not going back. It would be a good thing if the NFL (and the other sports) would admit this and stop trying to tinker with review.
                            Last edited by Futureshock; July 11, 2022, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Browns reportedly viewed Baker Mayfield as “childish and immature”

Posted by Mike Florio on July 9, 2022, 8:08 PM EDT

Getty Images

The bridge between the Browns and Baker Mayfield became hopelessly obliterated when someone from the team told Chris Mortensen of ESPN that the team wanted an adult in the room at the position. It’s no surprise then that, with Mayfield now the Panthers’ problem, some more leaks are coming from Cleveland.

Jason Lloyd of TheAthletic.com recently wrote that the Browns “widely viewed [Mayfield] as childish and immature.”

Added Lloyd of Mayfield: “His behavior annoyed teammates and divided the locker room. He was often difficult to coach.”

None of it is surprising, based on the things that played out in the public eye. Mayfield at times became surly during press conferences. After a 2021 win over the Lions, he refused to talk to reporters.

He had an apparent a beef with Odell Beckham Jr., one that resulted in most aligning behind OBJ. And Mayfield reportedly was miffed about a variety of things that happened last year, including the fact that the in-house radio show dared to criticize him.

That said, it feels at times as if the Browns didn’t properly respect Mayfield, especially since he did all he could to play last year after injuring his shoulder in Week Two. Then, after the season, the Browns made it known that Mayfield would still be the quarterback in 2022 — until they decided that they’d keep him only if they couldn’t find someone better.

It’s unclear who deserves the blame. Probably both sides. With the G.M. who drafted him and his original head coach long gone, it just got to the point where things didn’t work. It was time for everyone to move on.

Both sides can leak their versions of the events to reporters, and both sides likely will. The best news is that we’ll get to see Mayfield make his debut with the Panthers in Week One against the Browns, if he wins the starting job over Sam Darnold.

If Mayfield doesn’t, the Browns will have their vindication even if they lose the game.

Comment

• Stefon Diggs told his brother: NFL only has 7-8 “spicy receivers,” most are easy to check

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 8, 2022, 5:38 PM EDT

Getty Images

Bills wide receiver Stefon Diggs thinks he and his brother, Cowboys cornerback Trevon Diggs, are among the NFL’s elite players at their positions — and he thinks the truly elite are a pretty small group.

Stefon told Sports Illustrated that he always knew Trevon would have no trouble covering most NFL wide receivers, and that he doesn’t think most of them can really do everything a great receiver needs to do.

“I told Tre this a while ago: ‘Bro, 70% of [NFL] receivers are gonna be easy to check,” Stefon said. “There’s only like seven to eight spicy receivers who can catch, can create separation, can run fast, can stop. . . .’ ”

Stefon Diggs also said there are only three NFL corners as “the only ones that really follow” No. 1 receivers week in and week out: Xavien Howard, Marshon Lattimore and Trevon. Stefon thinks highly of himself, and his little brother.

Comment

Working...
                                X