No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Delaney lost his life trying to save three young boys, 39 years ago today

Posted by Mike Florio on June 29, 2022, 7:11 AM EDT
    USA TODAY Sports

Every year on June 29, we remember Joe Delaney. Every year on June 29, many hear his story for the first time.

Joe Delaney was 24. He had played two years in the NFL, with the Chiefs. He rushed for 1,121 yards as a rookie, immediately becoming one of the bright young stars in the NFL. He averaged 4.8 yards per carry. Due to injury, he appeared in eight games during his second NFL season.

Joe Delaney and his wife, Carolyn, had three young daughters. On June 29, 1983, three young boys Joe Delaney didn’t know had gotten into a two-acre, man-made pond. They were struggling. They needed help. Joe Delaney jumped in to help them.

I can’t swim good, but I’ve got to save those kids,” Joe Delaney said. “If I don’t come up, get somebody.”

One of the boys managed to get out of the pond. The other two boys drowned. Joe Delaney drowned, too. Here’s the original Associated Press story regarding Delaney’s death.

It happened 39 years ago today. Every year on June 29, we remember the heroism and selflessness of Joe Delaney. We also remember the tragedy, for Delaney, for his wife, for their children, and for the rest of his family and friends. He was 24. He acted without thought or hesitation. Those boys needed help, and Joe Delaney sprang into action.

In 2020, Marvin Dearman, the diver who retrieved Joe Delaney from the pond, successfully lobbied for a permanent memorial to Delaney at Chennault Park in Monroe, Louisiana, the site of the incident.

“It’s never left my mind,” Dearman said at the time. “Basically, he died in my arms, and it’s something I’ve never forgotten.”

It personally comes to mind for us every June 29. The world needed Joe Delaney then. The world could definitely use a few more Joe Delaneys now. Hopefully, remembering Joe Delaney today will inspire others to do what needs to be done regardless of the potential consequences, especially because in most situations doing the right thing includes consequences far less permanent and severe than the ultimate sacrifice Joe Delaney made, 39 years ago today.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Told ya...

Report: NFL “more likely” to accept 6-8 game suspension of Deshaun Watson and not appeal

Posted by Mike Florio on June 28, 2022, 11:47 PM EDT

Getty Images

Not much news has emanated during or after the first day of the Deshaun Watson disciplinary hearing. One specific item of information that has emerged cries out for further analysis and interpretation.

From Rob Maaddi of the Associated Press: “I’m also told the NFL, despite insisting on indefinite suspension, wants to avoid the appeals process — source said ‘a terrible situation for everyone involved’ — so league is more likely to abide by Sue Robinson’s ruling IF she came back with 6-8 games.”

It’s a surprising revelation. If it’s true and accurate (and we’ll defer to Maaddi in that regard), the question becomes what does it mean?

For starters, why would the NFL leak this critical concession? Does it fear that, if Judge Robinson believes the NFL is destined to seize upon an inherently rigged appeal process, she’d be more likely to impose no discipline at all on Watson? After all, that’s the only way under the Collective Bargaining Agreement to prevent any appeal, which would then be resolved by the Commissioner.

It’s hard not to wonder whether it’s all a ruse aimed at getting her to impose some discipline, so that the league could then appeal to the Commissioner, whose employees already have decided that Watson should be suspended for at least a year.

Remember, the Commissioner cannot afford to be perceived as being too lenient with Watson. It would be difficult to sell to anyone the idea that the league has simply accepted something far less than what the NFL wanted, simply to avoid prolonging a “terrible situation.” Given the steps of the process that the NFL and NFL Players Association collectively bargained, the league has the absolute right to take to the Commissioner any decision from Judge Robinson, other than a decision to not discipline Watson at all. Why would the league simply accept Judge Robinson’s decision, if it falls far short of what the league wants?

Frankly, it feels like a rope-a-dope maneuver by the league. By making Judge Robinson believe that the league wouldn’t appeal her decision if it lands in the range of 6-8 games, perhaps she’d be less inclined to find that Watson shouldn’t be disciplined at all, since that’s otherwise the only want to keep the Commissioner from imposing the punishment that the league currently wants. By leaking this to the AP after the first day of the hearings, the league quite possibly is using the media to negotiate with Judge Robinson for moderate discipline, with a wink-nod that her decision wouldn’t be disturbed if it lands in the supposedly preferred range.

If it gets her to impose 6-8 games under the assumption that the league won’t challenge it, the league can then initiate the appeal process and ask for what it wanted in the first place.

Really, how much more “terrible” would the situation become if the league appeals Judge Robinson’s decision to the Commissioner? It’s not as if there would be another full-blown hearing. That’s happening now. The appeal to the Commissioner would be much more streamlined and efficient. It would take less time and effort. And, by the very language of the CBA, it would allow the Commissioner to implement the very punishment that his office currently is trying to secure.

Anyone who knows anything about the manner in which the league office under the leadership of Roger Goodell has behaved for nearly 16 years knows that the league will be as aggressive as it chooses to be. Despite periodic missteps (including most notably the bungled handing of the Ray Rice case), the Commissioner has lived up to his reputation as The Enforcer. Why would anyone believe that he’d accept a 6-8 game suspension for Watson when the league office is currently pushing for a minimum ban of at least one year?

No, it looks and feels like an effort to get Judge Robinson to think that her ruling will be safe, in order to minimize any temptation to slam the door on the Commissioner’s appellate jurisdiction by finding that Watson shouldn’t be punished at all. And if we’re able to see this, she is, too.

Bottom line? We don’t buy it. And she shouldn’t, either. Nothing leaked to the Associated Press or anyone else is binding on the NFL. Once the league gets the 6-8 game suspension that it now seeks, the league can appeal it to the Commissioner. Some will say, “But I thought they weren’t going to appeal a suspension of that duration?” The league, at that point, can either ignore those questions or simply say, “We never officially said that.”

Given that this is the first application of the new process arising from the 2020 labor deal, there’s no precedent, no history, no past practice. Everyone is plowing new ground, sailing through uncharted waters.

The league has a long history of doing everything it can to get anything it wants. Currently, it wants to suspend Watson for at least a year. It’s very hard to imagine that the league would just shrug and accept 6-8 games, when it knows that it can appeal the case directly to the person who runs the league office for more. Our guess is that the league wants to be sure that Judge Robinson imposes some discipline, so that the Commissioner can than impose the full extent of the discipline the league wants.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Kayvon Thibodeaux hopes to average a sack a game

Posted by Charean Williams on June 28, 2022, 12:00 PM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

Azeez Ojulari led the Giants with eight sacks in 2021, the most by a Giants rookie since individual defensive sacks were first tracked in 1982. He broke the former rookie record of 5.5 sacks set by B.J. Hill in 2018.

Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor had 9.5 sacks in his rookie season of 1981, a year before sacks became an official stat.

After the Giants used the fifth overall choice on Kayvon Thibodeaux, Ojulari said he hopes to hold the record for only one season.

The Giants are counting on Thibodeaux for immediate help in improving a pass rush that ranked 22nd last season.

“I don’t want to think too big. You have to compartmentalize the season,” Thibodeaux told NFL Network. “If I could average at least one sack a game or contribute five to 10 tackles a game, then I’ll be good.

“That’s the smartest way to do it. You never want to look at the end. You always want to take it day by day. If you reach for the top, you’ll miss those steps right in front of you. So I know if I take those small steps and get that one sack or five to 10 tackles a game, by the end of the season, I’ll be where I want to be.”

Thibodeaux had seven sacks in 10 games last season at Oregon and finished his three seasons in college with 19 sacks in 30 games. He also totaled 126 tackles, including 35.5 tackles for loss.

Comment

• Hutch is cool, but I'm still mighty bothered that the Lions didn't pick Thibs. I get it, but wrong choice, IMO
          WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• There you go CGTV! Don't say the NFL never did anything for you. Merry Christmas!
            Now you just got to get Prime Video

Amazon plans Thursday night studio roles for Andrew Whitworth, Aqib Talib

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 28, 2022, 11:09 AM EDT

Getty Images

Two more recently retired players are expected to join the crowded studio Amazon is putting together for Thursday Night Football.

Aqib Talib and Andrew Whitworth are expected to be part of the Prime Video studio team, according to Ryan Glasspiegel of the New York Post.

Talib retired two years ago and has spent some time calling games in the Fox broadcast booth. Whitworth retired this offseason after winning the Super Bowl with the Rams.

Amazon has recently announced that Charissa Thompson will serve as host of the studio show. Other former players expected to be part of the studio include Tony Gonzalez, Richard Sherman, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Marshawn Lynch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
              Hutch is cool, but I'm still mighty bothered that the Lions didn't pick Thibs. I get it, but wrong choice, IMO
              We'll see. It's good to have goals, but I think Hutch is aiming to be just as impactful, if not more.

Comment

• Bears teammates seeing a different Justin Fields in his first full offseason

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 29, 2022, 10:05 AM EDT

Getty Images

A year ago, Justin Fields was the Bears’ newly arrived first-round draft pick quarterback, a rookie who had already been told he wouldn’t start in his first year. This year, it’s different.

Fields is the Bears’ unquestioned starter in Year Two, and he’s learning a different offense with a different coaching staff. But teammates say that despite the adjustment to the new playbook, he was more commanding as he led the offense in offseason practices.

You just feel him in the huddle,” tight end Cole Kmet told Courtney Cronin of ESPN. “He’s not just repeating the play, he’s telling you the play, and there’s a difference in that. That gives me confidence as a player out in the field. He’s talking to each guy. It’s not just a repeat-a-play, he’s telling us a play, which is a difference.”

Defensive players are noticing the same thing.

“He has a commanding leadership on the field, a legit field general,” defensive tackle Justin Jones said. “He gets guys wound up, gets guys going.”

Fields did end up the Bears’ starting quarterback for most of his rookie season, and he was not good enough in Year One, which is a big part of the reason that Matt Nagy is out and new head coach Matt Eberflus is in. Eberflus and offensive coordinator Luke Getsy will need to get Fields on track, or else next offseason there are going to be big questions about his future in Chicago.

Comment

• Truths are spilling out.

Malik Willis, QB, Liberty
                  Long story short, Willis slid in the 2022 NFL Draft because he was overrated by the media throughout the draft process. His final season of tape was not impressive, and franchises viewed him as a backup who has a good skill set, but needs a lot of development to become a pro starter - if he is ever able to get there.
                  Isaiah Spiller, RB, Texas A&M
                  Pro sources told WalterFootball.com that Spiller slid because teams were concerned about his speed for the NFL. That was an issue for him going into the pre-draft workouts, and he didn't ease anybody's mind with his performance. The worry if Spiller has the speed to hit the hole was the biggest thing that caused him to slide.
                  Jamaree Salyer, G, Georgia
                  With the Georgia Bulldogs winning their first National Championship since 1980, a lot of their draft prospects received profile bumps and extra media attention. As the program's starting left tackle, Salyer received a lot of acclaim as well and some media hype. The consensus projection had Salyer going on the second day of the 2022 NFL Draft, so many were surprised when he slid to the sixth round.

Team sources told WalterFootball.com there were a few reasons why Salyer slid. One team source said the media had overinflated him and he was never viewed that high. Salyer played tackle for Georgia, but he is undersized for the next level, where is he viewed as a competitor at guard. An NFL director of player personnel said Salyer slide occurred because, "His height and length are issues. His workout numbers weren't great, and his film was very up and down."
                  Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati
                  Team sources told WalterFootball.com they had mid-round grades on Ridder and viewed him as a backup. They did not see a true slide for Ridder because they believe the third round is appropriate time to land a backup quarterback.
                  Bernhard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan
                  Team sources told WalterFootball.com that Raimann slid to the third round because they saw flaws and rawness for a pass protector for the NFL. His lacking in pass protection was the biggest reason, and another significant reason was that some teams had flunked him medically and dropped him off their boards. The medical evaluations are subjective, but teams never graded Raimann as high as the media projected.
                  Skyy Moore, WR, Western Michigan
                  NFL team sources actually had Moore graded lower than the media hype. Some teams had him graded in the second round and others had him in Round 3. They saw some limitations with his size and thought Moore (5-10, 196) could have problems with longer cornerbacks as a pro. Thus, teams did not see a real slide with Moore.

Travis Jones, DT, Connecticut

While some pundits had Jones going on the opening night of the 2022 NFL Draft, he ended up sliding to Round 3.

Jones' slide, according to NFL sources, came from concerns about his ability to the rush the passer as a pro. Jones is a heavy nose tackle, and most teams rotate those defenders to the sideline in the sub package. Considering teams play their sub - nickel defense - around 70 percent of their snaps, Jones role was not anticipated to be a lot of playing time, which left teams valuing him lower than where some in the media were projecting him.
                  Jermaine Johnson, DE, Florida State
                  The combination of a great season, a great week in Mobile, and a strong workout caused Johnson to be projected as a top-16 pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, with many forecasting Johnson in the top 10. Thus, it was surprising when Johnson slipped to the 26th pick of the first round.

In the days prior to the 2022 NFL Draft, we reported in the Hot Press that there were some makeup concerns with Johnson and some team sources even felt that Johnson's football character was worse than Kayvon Thibodeaux. The character issue hurt Johnson with some teams, according to sources. On top of that, some sources felt Johnson was slightly overrated by the media and his pass rush was not at an elite level for translating to the NFL.

"I wasn't a fan of the player and didn't see him as a 'top rusher' personally," said an NFC director of players personnel. "I believe his personality was a concern for a lot of people - not necessarily off-field concern, but he's not a liked guy in the locker room."

A different NFC director of player personnel said Johnson was viewed as a high-maintenance guy for the coaches to deal with and keep focused. Multiple sources said they thought Johnson's skill set could make him a solid rusher, but they not see him as a high first-round talent in that regard.
                  Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia
                  The projections fell to Dean being a late first- or second-round pick, but he ended up slipping all the way to Round 3.

Dean was trending in the wrong direction over the past few months with downside momentum. He was injured during the spring, and that kept him from running at the combine. He also was said to run slow times, and while he worked out at the Georgia pro day, team sources said the workout was not impressive because he wasn't in good shape. There was some speculation that Dean might need pectoral surgery that could reduce or cost him rookie season. Dean is undersized for the NFL at 5-foot-11, 220 pounds, and his history of injuries had teams concerned about his durability at the next level. A source with one NFL team told WalterFootball.com that their scouts were high on Dean, but he was lowered on the organization's board after the coaches got involved. Dean's size and injury history were the big concerns for the coaches and across the league. All of those factors combined to force Dean to fall lower than expected.
                  Give me MaRod in the 6th over Dean in the 3rd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                    I doubt it. He may get 8 - 10 games suspended. Which I think the NFL knew it would have to back down to anyway. It's like any other negotiation.

Why does the NFL have to "negotiate" a suspension? Because the union and the courts would kick their tail and he could end up serving no suspension.

I copied an article last week about how in the league by-laws it reads the owners will be held to a higher standard, but when owners like Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft and others did their dirt, the league did nothing. So now they are going opposite of their own by-laws. The NFL better settle on 8 games and walk away with half the PR nightmare that they could have had.
                    That’s very true about Jones and Kraft.
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

There you go CGTV! Don't say the NFL never did anything for you. Merry Christmas!
                      Now you just got to get Prime Video

Amazon plans Thursday night studio roles for Andrew Whitworth, Aqib Talib

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 28, 2022, 11:09 AM EDT

Getty Images

Two more recently retired players are expected to join the crowded studio Amazon is putting together for Thursday Night Football.

Aqib Talib and Andrew Whitworth are expected to be part of the Prime Video studio team, according to Ryan Glasspiegel of the New York Post.

Talib retired two years ago and has spent some time calling games in the Fox broadcast booth. Whitworth retired this offseason after winning the Super Bowl with the Rams.

Amazon has recently announced that Charissa Thompson will serve as host of the studio show. Other former players expected to be part of the studio include Tony Gonzalez, Richard Sherman, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Marshawn Lynch.
                      I want Talib to call every lions game. He's so incredibly bad that he's hilarious. Much like watching an MST3K take on a color commenter. I'm hoping for the "all century horrible " announcer team of Joe Buck and Talib.
                      Detroit Lions: Where futility is a lifestyle choice.

Comment

Joe Delaney lost his life trying to save three young boys, 39 years ago today

USA TODAY Sports

Every year on June 29, we remember Joe Delaney. Every year on June 29, many hear his story for the first time.

Joe Delaney was 24. He had played two years in the NFL, with the Chiefs. He rushed for 1,121 yards as a rookie, immediately becoming one of the bright young stars in the NFL. He averaged 4.8 yards per carry. Due to injury, he appeared in eight games during his second NFL season.

Joe Delaney and his wife, Carolyn, had three young daughters. On June 29, 1983, three young boys Joe Delaney didn’t know had gotten into a two-acre, man-made pond. They were struggling. They needed help. Joe Delaney jumped in to help them.

I can’t swim good, but I’ve got to save those kids,” Joe Delaney said. “If I don’t come up, get somebody.”

One of the boys managed to get out of the pond. The other two boys drowned. Joe Delaney drowned, too. Here’s the original Associated Press story regarding Delaney’s death.

It happened 39 years ago today. Every year on June 29, we remember the heroism and selflessness of Joe Delaney. We also remember the tragedy, for Delaney, for his wife, for their children, and for the rest of his family and friends. He was 24. He acted without thought or hesitation. Those boys needed help, and Joe Delaney sprang into action.

In 2020, Marvin Dearman, the diver who retrieved Joe Delaney from the pond, successfully lobbied for a permanent memorial to Delaney at Chennault Park in Monroe, Louisiana, the site of the incident.

“It’s never left my mind,” Dearman said at the time. “Basically, he died in my arms, and it’s something I’ve never forgotten.”

It personally comes to mind for us every June 29. The world needed Joe Delaney then. The world could definitely use a few more Joe Delaneys now. Hopefully, remembering Joe Delaney today will inspire others to do what needs to be done regardless of the potential consequences, especially because in most situations doing the right thing includes consequences far less permanent and severe than the ultimate sacrifice Joe Delaney made, 39 years ago today.
                        I remember when that happened.
                        "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• He had everything to live for, but he didn't hesitate. Even though he knew he didn't know how to swim and would probably drown.

THAT'S what heroes do. In the face of situations where most would show fear, they rise above it all, especially their own fear, to try and help others.

People who kill other people from fear are cowards and should be banned from having guns. They definitely do not deserve to wear a shield.

I apologize for the "political" comment, but this just illuminates how real heroes operate and how liars, cowards and traitors behave.

Comment

• Lions' Week 1 opponent...

Miles Sanders: We feel unstoppable, like an all-star team

Posted by Josh Alper on June 29, 2022, 3:25 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Eagles’ offseason was highlighted by trading for wide receiver A.J. Brown, signing pass rusher Haason Reddick, and picking up defensive tackle Jordan Davis and linebacker Nakobe Dean in the draft after they won a championship at Georgia last season.

Many people outside the organization have applauded those moves as ones that will improve the Eagles’ chances of returning to the postseason in 2022. Running back Miles Sanders particularly likes what Brown’s addition means for the team’s offense and gushed about how the unit is feeling as they head toward training camp.

“Oh man. We all feel like we’re on an all-star team, so we feel great,” Sanders said, via Cody Benjamin of CBS Sports. “We feel unstoppable, I’m not gonna lie. The vibes are great, always have been. Nick Sirianni is doing a great job just keeping the vibes right, the chemistry good. We compete a lot in practice. But we’ve gotta see. It’s gonna come down to camp, taking it day by day, putting everything together.”

Those with long memories will recall that former Eagles quarterback Vince Young referred to the 2011 Eagles as a “dream team” after signing with the club. They wound up going 8-8 and missing the playoffs, so the hope in Philly will be that things work out better for the current collection of star players.

Comment

Joe Delaney lost his life trying to save three young boys, 39 years ago today

USA TODAY Sports

Man, that was 39 years ago?

That is a nice tribute to a selfless man.
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Hassan Haskins working to carve out a role behind Derrick Henry

Posted by Charean Williams on June 30, 2022, 6:50 PM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

The Titans needed a backup running back after losing D'Onta Foreman to the Panthers this offseason. Foreman had 133 carries for 566 yards and three touchdowns last season while subbing for the injured Derrick Henry.

Henry is back healthy, but with Foreman gone, fourth-round choice Hassan Haskins will help backup the two-time rushing champ.

“In college, I wasn’t starting right away. I had to work my way,” Haskins said, via Jim Wyatt of the team website. “Now, I have to do the same thing. I have to keep working each day. It may not be tomorrow. It may not be a couple of years, but I am going to keep working and get better to have a role on this team.”

Haskins rushed for 1,327 yards and 20 touchdowns last season for Michigan, including a career-best 169 yards and five touchdowns on 28 carries against Ohio State on Nov. 27.

With Henry working out on his own during the voluntary portion of the offseason program, Haskins got extra work alongside Dontrell Hilliard, Trenton Cannon, Jordan Wilkins and Julius Chestnut. Haskins then got a tutorial from Henry during the mandatory minicamp.

He made a good early impression.

“I was excited when we got him,” Henry said. “Hassan is a beast. I was able to catch his game versus Ohio State when he went off. Seeing him in person, he is a big dude, and he’s a solid dude. Seeing him (at practice), I can tell everything is coming natural to him. I just told him: ‘Don’t try to get too overwhelmed; just take it day by day.'”

Comment

Working...
                                X