No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As to Jones, the union will argue that the league failed to investigate the voyeurism scandal involving former Cowboys P.R. chief Rich Dalrymple, including but not limited to the key questions of what Jones knew, when he knew it, and whether he knew that Dalrymple was secretly recording multiple cheerleaders while they changed their clothes.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Tom Brady on Aaron Donald’s Instagram workout: I’m like, ‘Damn, maybe I should have retired’

Posted by Charean Williams on June 15, 2022, 10:31 PM EDT

Getty Images

Tom Brady and Aaron Donald have faced each other five times, with three of those meetings coming the past two seasons. Brady is 151-of-238 for 1,508 yards with five touchdowns and four interceptions in games against Donald’s Rams, with Donald making 12 tackles, two sacks and six quarterback hits.

The Rams have won the past three meetings against Brady after Brady’s Patriots beat them 26-10 in 2016 and 13-3 in Super Bowl LIII.

The rest of the NFL outside of Tampa was thrilled when Brady annnounced his retirement, only to see him unretire after 40 days. The rest of the NFL outside of Los Angeles was thrilled when Donald said he was considering retirement, only to see him sign a three-year, $95 million extension.

They will meet again Nov. 6 in Los Angeles.

“I see Aaron Donald workout on my Instagram I’m like, ‘Damn, maybe I should have retired,’” Brady said during an appearance on the Dan Patrick Show. “He’s a beast.”

Donald has returned to chase back-to-back Super Bowls. (Brady’s Patriots are the last team to repeat, having won Super Bowl XXXVIII in 2003 and Super Bowl XXXIX in 2004.) Brady has returned to chase his ninth Super Bowl. Their teams are favorites to win the NFC.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Roger Goodell will testify before the House Oversight Committee next week, appearing virtually

Posted by Mike Florio on June 15, 2022, 7:38 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Commissioner will be showing up. Sort of.

According to the NFL, Roger Goodell has accepted the invitation from the U.S. House Committee on Oversight & Reform to testify at a June 22 hearing. However, he won’t be grilled in person. He’ll appear virtually.

“The Oversight Committee was notified this afternoon that Commissioner Goodell has accepted the invitation,” league spokesman Brian McCarthy said via email. “He will appear virtually.”

That won’t really change anything. He’ll still be subject to aggressive questioning, on the Commanders investigation, the flimsy reasoning for not sharing information learned during the investigation, the inexplicable decision to not seek recommendations from attorney Beth Wilkinson, and whatever else the members of the Committees ask him about — from Deshaun Watson to Stephen Ross to Jon Gruden to the league’s insistence on in-house arbitration (hey, I didn’t call it a secret, rigged kangaroo court), and anything else that may come up.

But it will seem far less dramatic with Goodell not in the room, sitting across from a panel of representatives who won’t respond to any non-answer he may offer by moving on to the next topic, but by telling him that he didn’t answer the question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topweasel View Post

You have to assume the Lions may have account for several trade back scenario's. The more time a team spends on a player may actually also come down to a lack of confidence in where player should be ranked. Maybe they thought he should have been 1c, maybe they wondered where he should go in the top 10. Like if they really wanted an elite DE how far back they would be comfortable in moving and get Thibs instead of whomever was left after the Jags pick. Maybe its so whomever else really likes Hutch, thinks the Lions would draft Thibs second, if they knew the Jags were going Walker, so they don't try to move up the the Jags spot to get Hutch.

These guys seem to be less inclined to go out of their way to hide everything about what they are feeling. Hell in those rooms they are wearing their opinion on their sleeves considering how they handled the Sewell and Hutch picks. But there is so much back and forth and subterfuge going on with the draft, I don't think you really gain anything by tracking visits. At a minimum being confident in where a player like Thibs would fall would be worth the visit when you are possibly thinking about moves and the right time to move back up for a player. If you get Thibs wrong and he doesn't go in the top 10, maybe London goes earlier and the whole WR run happens in the top 10. Can you be ready to move up into the top 10 to grab Jameson? What will it take to give up Hutch and get Thibs instead. Sure assuming Jags took Hutch, would you take Walker or Thibs would be one of those point. One might be the better fit for now and the other a better player. Who knows what their board was actually set at.

Either way this seems one of the cases where they didn't convince themselves to like a player they were probably going to have to take. They seemed to love Hutch above all and were more than happy when it the Jags didn't take him. Meaning don't really need to play this game of who they would have taken if Hutch went first. They got the guy they truly seemed to love and probably the one player in the draft that they just "had" to leave with.
          When you have the #2 pick in the draft - your board HAS to have 2 names on it - and only 2 names.
          The rest of the draft class never even enters the equation unless you are going to the craps table and trying to gamble with a possible trade down.
          By listening to that video - their board was #1 Hutch, #2 Walker.
          That much is obvious - the $64 question is would they have entertained a trade offer if they got one had Hutch left the board - because nobody in their right mind passes on their #1 guy on the board in the entire draft once he falls to him.

Comment

• Rashan Gary: Addition of Jarran Reed going to make our defense scary

Posted by Josh Alper on June 20, 2022, 8:57 AM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

The Packers made a couple of notable additions to their defensive line this offseason by drafting Devonte Wyatt in the first round and signing former Chief Jarran Reed as a free agent.

Wyatt’s draft position suggests the team sees him as part of their long-term future, but Reed could wind up playing a bigger role in the near term. Head coach Matt LaFleur said that the veteran “definitely brings an element in terms of his ability to rush the passer from inside” alongside the likes of Kenny Clark, Preston Smith, and Rashan Gary.

Gary had a particularly strong response to what he sees Reed bringing to the table this season.

“When I saw we signed Jarran Reed, it was a big smile on my face,” Gary said, via Jason Wilde of Madison.com. “Just knowing our abilities and knowing our capabilities as a unit. There were flashes going through mandatory minicamp and some of the OTAs that we had a chance to rush together. It’s going to be scary.”

Reed has 24.5 sacks over six NFL seasons, including a 10.5-sack season with the Seahawks in 2018. He may not repeat that total this year, but teams will have to account for him up front and Gary’s comments suggest that could lead to a lot of success across the board once the Packers hit the field this fall.

Comment

• Devon Allen keeps winning 110 meter hurdles races

Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2022, 10:18 PM EDT

Getty Images

Whether Eagles receiver Devon Allen becomes a successful NFL player remains to be seen. He continues to be a successful track performer.

Allen racked up another victory on the Diamond League circuit in Paris, with a 13.16-second run in the 110-meter hurdles in Paris.

Six days ago, Allen ran the third fasted 110-meter hurdles race in history, posting a time of 12.84 seconds.

Allen, 27, last played football in 2016, at Oregon. He signed with the Eagles in April.

For some of the older folks in the crowd, the intersection between football and the 110-meter hurdles will conjure memories of Renaldo Nehemiah, who joined the 49ers in 1982. He did not play college football.

Nehemiah set multiple world records in the 110-meter hurdles during his track career, from 13.16 seconds to 13 flat to 12.93. He spent three seasons with San Francisco.

Comment

• Browns seeking their first new stadium since returning to NFL in 1999, per report

Love the Baker Mayfield comment

Screenshot_20220620-105511_Chrome.jpg
                "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Rashan Gary: Addition of Jarran Reed going to make our defense scary

Posted by Josh Alper on June 20, 2022, 8:57 AM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

The Packers made a couple of notable additions to their defensive line this offseason by drafting Devonte Wyatt in the first round and signing former Chief Jarran Reed as a free agent.

Wyatt’s draft position suggests the team sees him as part of their long-term future, but Reed could wind up playing a bigger role in the near term. Head coach Matt LaFleur said that the veteran “definitely brings an element in terms of his ability to rush the passer from inside” alongside the likes of Kenny Clark, Preston Smith, and Rashan Gary.

Gary had a particularly strong response to what he sees Reed bringing to the table this season.

“When I saw we signed Jarran Reed, it was a big smile on my face,” Gary said, via Jason Wilde of Madison.com. “Just knowing our abilities and knowing our capabilities as a unit. There were flashes going through mandatory minicamp and some of the OTAs that we had a chance to rush together. It’s going to be scary.”

Reed has 24.5 sacks over six NFL seasons, including a 10.5-sack season with the Seahawks in 2018. He may not repeat that total this year, but teams will have to account for him up front and Gary’s comments suggest that could lead to a lot of success across the board once the Packers hit the field this fall.

Comment

• Elgton Jenkins “continuing to work” with no timetable for ACL return

Posted by Josh Alper on June 21, 2022, 7:01 AM EDT

Getty Images

For the second straight season, ACL rehab is a major topic for the Packers offensive line.

Left tackle David Bakhtiari only made it back for a handful of snaps in one appearance after his injury late in the 2020 season and that left the Packers to turn to Elgton Jenkins at his position for most of last year. Jenkins tore his ACL in November, however, and that means there’s some question about when he will be able to get back on the field.

Jenkins didn’t speculate on a specific date that he’d be back before the Packers wrapped up their offseason work.

“Right now, it’s just continuing to work,” Jenkins said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com. “When that time comes for me to get out there, and when I’m comfortable and the trainers are comfortable, then we’ll do it.”

The Packers’ approach with Bakhtiari last year suggests it may be well into the regular season before Jenkins is back on the field. The team also isn’t guaranteeing anything about Bakhtiari’s return after he was off the field for the offseason program, so there will be a lot to sort out on the Green Bay offensive line in the coming months.

Comment

• Marcedes Lewis wants to break the NFL record for most seasons played by a tight end

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 21, 2022, 4:44 AM EDT

Getty Images

Packers tight end Marcedes Lewis is heading into his 17th NFL season, and that has him setting his sights on his own place in NFL history.

Only two tight ends have played 17 seasons, Tony Gonzalez and Jason Witten. No tight end has ever played 18 seasons, and that’s something Lewis wants to do.

“This year, I’ll tie the record,” Lewis said. “It would be great to break it and then I would consider, ‘OK, I’ve done that.’ Eighteen is kind of bizarre, especially at the tight end position.”

Lewis played his first 12 NFL seasons with Jacksonville and is now heading into his fifth season in Green Bay. Once he plays this season he’ll break out of a tie with Antonio Gates, Pete Metzelaars and Jackie Smith, all of whom played tight end for 16 seasons.

In addition to playing at least two more seasons, the 38-year-old Lewis says his other goal is winning a Super Bowl.

Comment

• Matt Rhule: There’s no timetable for Matt Corral

Posted by Charean Williams on June 20, 2022, 7:30 PM EDT

Getty Images

Sam Darnold may or may not start for the Panthers this season, but if he’s not the starting quarterback, the job isn’t likely to belong to Matt Corral.

The Panthers, who still seem the likely landing spot for Baker Mayfield, drafted Corral with the 94th overall selection as a developmental quarterback. Their plan hasn’t changed after an offseason with him.

“He has a good spirit, a good demeanor about him when he walks in the building, and I think he understands there’s no timetable for him,” Panthers coach Matt Rhule said, via Joe Person of TheAthletic.com. “There’s no, ‘Hey, you’re sitting a year,’ or ‘Hey, you’re playing the first game.’ There’s, ‘Your job’s to get ready and the opportunity will come when it comes, and you have to be ready for it.’

“I think he has that sense of urgency when he works. I respect the way he works. But he has a lot to learn. A lot to learn.”

Corral said his mindset is to be the starter, which is the right mindset but something not likely to happen, at least to start the season. Corral will sit and learn. The only question is: Who will he sit behind?

Comment

• Trae Waynes: In my head, I’m done playing

Posted by Josh Alper on June 20, 2022, 11:39 AM EDT

Getty Images

Cornerback Trae Waynes has not signed with a team for the 2022 season and it doesn’t sound like that’s going to change.

During an appearance on the Geary & Stein Sports Show, Waynes was asked about his plans for the 2022 season. The 11th overall pick of the 2015 draft didn’t say there was no chance that he’d play again, but he said that he considers himself to be retired.

“I mean it’s open but I’m not really exploring anything to be honest with you,” Waynes said. “Multiple teams have actually called, but in my head I’m done. I’m not officially doing it, I’d say, just because I don’t do that shit. I’m retired, but it’s not like I announced it or anything.”

Waynes was drafted by the Vikings and spent five seasons playing for the team before signing with the Bengals in 2020. He missed that year with a pectoral injury and only played five games last year because of a hamstring injury. He was released by the Bengals earlier this year.

Waynes said he “almost went to Philly” to play for former Vikings assistant and current Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon after being cut, but didn’t because he felt “ready to be done.” Waynes said he always wanted to walk away on his own terms and that “all the stuff happening with these former players, it kind of makes you nervous” about the life he’d be able to have outside of football if he kept playing.

Waynes had 259 tackles, seven interceptions, a sack, two forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery in 74 regular season games. He also had 12 tackles and an interception in five playoff games with Minnesota.

Comment

• That guy was so good at State.

Comment

• Yeah he was. "The No-Fly Zone"

Comment

• Couches will burn in tribute for his retirement in EL.
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X