No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certain things make sense to me as far as penalizing taunting but others don't. I'm all for a ref throwing a flag and fines/suspensions coming in if they hear racist/homophobic taunts etc. Or for actually throwing the ball at another player. I think they are perhaps getting excessive with what's being called. The bigger issue is the fans and maybe even players don't have a clear picture of what's taunting and what isn't.

Comment

• I don’t see why it matters? It’s even entertaining at times. Who didn’t enjoy Winfield giving Tyreek the peace sign for example?

Or Brady and Matthieu getting into it. This is competitive sport played on the very edge for god’s sake.

Comment

• It's all fun and games until the taunting leads to cheap shots and injuries. The game is physical enough, and true taunting leads to those cheap shots. I haven't noticed that much of an increase in the calls though.

Comment

• They called as many taunting penalties by the end of week 2 than they threw in the whole of the previous season.

There’s been a huge increase including that back breaker last night. Was that so egregious that it could have let to violence?

Not in my eyes. And there’s plenty of cheap hits without taunting - ask Quintez Cephus.

Comment

• Believe what you want, I've seen it first hand how taunting can lead to cheap shots and injuries.

Comment

• Is this “true taunting” in your eyes? Because this is what the NFL now deems flag worthy. Totally needless in my opinion.

Guy carries a whole defense on his back, celebrates cos he’s pumped up and the whole play is negated for a taunting flag. I’m surprised anyone would defend this kind of thing.

Comment

• Well, us old fucks would label this shit one way - would the coach pull you out of the game for being a jackass?
                Colts RB - hell no. In fact that gets you a football, acorn, or whatever the hell they put on helmets these days - maybe two.
                Eagles LB last night - yeah, sit down a few for being stupid. Jackass!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
                  Is this “true taunting” in your eyes? Because this is what the NFL now deems flag worthy. Totally needless in my opinion.

Guy carries a whole defense on his back, celebrates cos he’s pumped up and the whole play is negated for a taunting flag. I’m surprised anyone would defend this kind of thing.
                  He got up and postured over a player he just ran over. It is a textbook example of the rule and is what they are enforcing. The players all know it. You'd think they'd refrain from pulling their dicks out to compare after a play.

Dumbass cost his team 15 yds. Had he just got up and celebrated it would not have been called.

Pretty simple.
                  I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• That’s easy to say for you watching the game on TV but it’s a competitive sport and he was clearly pumped up - with justification.

Flexing for a nanosecond - the humanity!

I am stunned anyone could think that deserves a 15 yard penalty. Surely no one wants to see games decided on taunting.

Total bullshit if you ask me. And gives refs more power to “subjectively” influence games - because trash talking happens constantly even if you can’t see it due to the physical manifestation of the dreaded flex or heaven forbid, spinning a football.

Comment

• Flexing over top of another player is different than flexing. The players know the fucking rules. That shit is not spontaneous. It is intentional. Enforcing the rule will get the stupid shit out of the game.

It is not the subjective call you make it out to be. Every one of these that have been called and shown to try to point out such egregious examples of giving the refs "power to influences games" is the right call

Celebrating a good play by getting in your opponent's face? Taunting.
                      Celebrating a good play with your teammates? Legal.
                      Spinning a football toward a player to show him up? Taunting .
                      Spinning a football in celebration away from the defender? Stupid, but legal

Don't want to see a game decided by a taunting penalty? Follow the rules and don't taunt. Pretty simple

But maybe if you keep whining about it they'll hear you and change it.
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• They probably will, just like other no fun league brainwaves cooked up by the competition committee (consisting of s
                        finger on the pulse guys as John Mara) such as banning certain touchdown celebrations that were about as popular as this one.

Most taunting is Jalen Ramsey/Philip Rivers like trash talking that will continue unabated because it can’t be seen, so I don’t even see a compelling safety argument for all but the most egregious examples.
                        Last edited by TheLondonLion; October 15, 2021, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• TBH, he carried damn near 1/2 the team with him. I'd at the very least give him some latitude - at least the 1/2 a second worth he got flagged for.
                          It's this level of shit that is making the game unwatchable.
                          You as a fan literally expect a guy who carried 1/2 a team on his back to talk a little shit - you don't want to be bothered by a LB who forces a RB OB when that RB has been trucking you all night - or these idiot who celebrate meaningless 1st downs when they are getting their asses handed to them. Give the latter a delay of game penalty and be done with it.

Comment

• 1. The point of emphasis was done for nonsensical reasons, it wasn't because they was an outbreak of taunting. It's because a reactionary, crusty old owner got his dander up. That's every year with this league.

2. The taunting rule is appropriate, it should be used to properly nip things in the bud. If you don't think it can lead to worse shit, you are fooling yourself or have never played football.

3. You can search all over and find a NFL rule improperly enforced.

4. The evidence on that Colt is not conclusive either way. The ref has a much better view and more importantly he can hear what is being said. It's not like he got tackled, got up and turned around to taunt the tackler. He fell to the ground facing the tackler, he got up and flexed. That alone is not really taunting, but if he flexes and says, "Yeah Mother fucker" that is a taunt. If he flexes and does a Ric Flair, "Whoo, Baby, Whoo" I don't really think its a taunt. But we will never know.

5. The thing is with the NFL it is far superior to college football, but these kind of yearly points of emphasis nonsense goes with the territory of watching the league.

6. I've watched a fair amount of NFL this year and I haven't seen the call. It's not that important.

Comment

• Taunting. Period

Screenshot 2021-10-15 10.16.43 PM.png

Comment

• This guy speaks well, if rather more diplomatic than I am about this ticky tacky nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                                X