No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Brady's legacy is a template for final lesson Detroit Lions must learn in this rebuild

Jeff Seidel

Detroit Free Press

Sitting on the couch, eating my morning yogurt, watching ESPN’s “Get Up.”

And the news popped across the TV.

Tom Brady is retiring. No, seriously this time.

And they aired his short, home-made retirement video.

"I know the process was a pretty big deal last time, so when I woke up this morning, I figured I'd just press record and let you guys know first," Brady said on his social media post. "I won't be long-winded. You only get one super emotional retirement essay, and I used mine up last year."

ESPN host Mike Greenberg threw it to Tedy Bruschi, Brady’s good friend and longtime teammate on the New England Patriots.

Who told an amazing story.

“I think the best story I have about Tom Brady's addiction to winning is the one when we were in the Pro Bowl together after our third championship, after we beat the Eagles,” Bruschi said. “It's back when you played in the Pro Bowl. Then every team is introduced, and their Pro Bowl representatives are introduced, and we were the last ones in the locker room.”

Bruschi was sitting in the locker room with Brady, Richard Seymour, Adam Vinatieri and Larry Izzo — his New England teammates.

“Tom looked at all of us and he said, ‘you know, no one's ever won three in a row,'” Bruschi said. “I still had confetti on the bottom of my cleats, and we're looking at Tom like, dude we just had the parade man. Can we just go out here and they are about to announce us as world champions? And can we just play the Pro Bowl first?’”

That was Tom Brady. Not just one of the greatest football players of all time — probably, the greatest. But one of the greatest champions in any sport.

“It was always about the next one,” Bruschi said. “And it was almost flabbergasting to us."

Then, I started thinking about the Detroit Lions. About the progress this team has made.

And I realized something.

Grit will only take you so far

I love the Lions’ “grit.”

Love that they are searching for toughness and resolve and competitiveness. The desire to play anyone anywhere.

Because it showed up during the season. Yes, they were horrible at the start. And if I’m being honest, I questioned this team, its direction, leadership and decisions.

But not now. Because that team didn’t fold. It didn’t give up. Didn’t turn on itself. It kept grinding and won eight of its last 10 games.

That’s grit.

You know how you do that?

It starts with Brad Holmes — he’s searching for players with that never-give up attitude.

It flows to Dan Campbell. He is so obsessed, trying to find a small advantage. To get this team to improve.

And you can see it in several players.

You can see it in Aidan Hutchinson, in his amazing motor. Never giving up. Never relenting.

You could see it in Amon-Ra St. Brown, who plays with so much heart.

You could see it in Jamaal Williams, who was dealing with the death of a family member, but went out there and played with so much passion and love for the game.

You can see it in Jameson Williams. A guy who was a special teams gunner at Alabama. I know he barely got going in 2022 because of injury. But it’s inside him.

You could see it in James Houston, who kept plugging away on the practice squad — and he exploded when he finally got his shot.

And you can see it in some of the veterans they have kept, guys like Frank Ragnow — a guy who could barely walk through the locker room because his foot was so sore and tender. But he freakin’ went out there and played.

Grit implies toughness and desire and never giving up.

Grit is exactly what this team needed to climb from the pits of NFL misery.

And that’s why there is reason to be excited about the direction of this franchise.

All hail the champion

But there something needed beyond grit. To go to the next level.

And Brady embodied it.

“The man who set the standard is walking away,” Bruschi said. “I'm not only talking about the standard in quarterback play, but I'm talking the standard for entire locker rooms to look to … I don't know what the word … addiction … of the entire process of preparing and sustaining and maintaining. Those three words — they're entirely different. To prepare for a game. To maintain it for two decades. And sustaining a level of MVP-caliber play.”

Over the next few months, there will be all kinds of talk about how the Lions have an open window for the playoffs next year.

How they have a chance to take the next step.

But grit alone doesn’t take you there.

You need something else.

At some point, this team needs to transition from “grit” to "obsession.”

An obsession for titles. An obsession for more than one.

Never being satisfied.

That’s the real secret to long-term, sustained success.

An obsession to be like Tom Brady.

All hail, a true champion.

Contact Jeff Seidel: jseidel@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @seideljeff.

To read his recent columns, go to freep.com/sports/jeff-seidel.

"I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• Hall of Fame NFL executive Bobby Beathard dies at 86

Pro Football Hall of Fame general manager Bobby Beathard died at age 86 on Monday, his son Casey told The Washington Post. He died from complications from Alzheimer’s disease in Franklin, Tenn., the Post reported.

Beathard was inducted into the Hall in 2018 as a contributor in recognition of his accomplishments as an executive. Throughout his career, he served as a scout for the Chiefs (1963, 1966-1967) and the Falcons (1968-1971) as well as the director of player personnel for the Dolphins (1972-1977), but he is best known for his work as a general manager.

Beathard first rose to the GM ranks in 1978 when leading Washington, and guided the team to two Super Bowl wins in three championship appearances during his 10-year stint with the franchise. He left Washington in 1990 to become general manager of the Chargers and stayed with the team until retiring in 2000. It was under Beathard’s leadership that the Chargers reached their first Super Bowl appearance in 1994.

Chargers owner Dean Spanos called Beathard “one of the best judges of football talent in NFL history,” in a statement released Wednesday expressing condolences to the former GM’s family.

“Bobby was who we all aspire to be – a friendly, caring, giving, thoughtful human being who brought people from all walks of life together. He was the best GM in football; but he was also the guy sitting on his surfboard in the ocean that you caught waves with, jogged trails alongside and chatted up in the check-out line of the local market,” Spanos said. “He was the guy you felt like you’d known your entire life, even if it wasn’t but for five minutes at the gas station. He was just a regular guy who happened to be anything but. Bobby was, in fact, exceptional. He was one-of-a-kind. And he will be incredibly missed”

Pro Football Hall of Fame president Jim Porter called Beathard “one of the game’s great architects” in a release Wednesday.

“Bobby not only built winning teams throughout his career, but he also built winning cultures that lasted beyond his years with an organization,” Porter said. “He combined an eye for talent with a special gift for working with other people. The results speak for themselves. Bobby’s legacy will be forever preserved in Canton. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Christine, and their family during this incredibly difficult time.”​
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Four ways Tom Brady’s retirement shifts the NFL quarterback market

By Mike Sando

Tom Brady announcing his retirement Wednesday does not come as the greatest shock. He turns 46 in August and would probably need to find a new team in a new city with new teammates to chase an eighth Super Bowl ring, given the state of his Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Still, if Brady was willing to work this hard for this long when he seemed to have every reason to walk away last offseason, my money was on Brady running it back one more time, especially with the we-are-a-quarterback-away San Francisco 49ers such a logical destination for him. He could still choose that path if the way he feels in March, May or June differs from the way he felt when recording what seemed to be a genuine, succinct announcement for release on his various social media accounts.

Brady has played so well for so long that it’s easy to overlook how much work goes into maintaining elite performance at his age. It’s the sort of all-consuming grind that must feel great to escape on the first day of February. It’s also all Brady has known for a long time. He might again crave that structure once weeks or months pass and various opportunities come his way.

As Brady himself noted in his video Wednesday, we all had time to celebrate his incredible career following his retirement last offseason. There’s no point in rerunning all the tributes.

The shifting offseason quarterback market is the most interesting aspect to this news. The Buccaneers, 49ers, Las Vegas Raiders and Aaron Rodgers all could feel the fallout. Here’s how.

• Buccaneers: Brady retiring from the Buccaneers instead of changing teams in free agency helps the team from an accounting standpoint. There’s $35 million from his contract that must be accounted for under the salary cap. If Brady retires, the team could push $24 million of that into 2024. If Brady plays elsewhere, the full $35 million hits the books this year, which would be challenging for a team with a long list of free agents and difficult decisions looming.

Brady retiring could enable the Buccaneers and coach Todd Bowles to execute a more coherent offseason plan than the one they implemented last offseason. The 2022 offseason saw Brady announce his retirement and then return in mid-March, with coach Bruce Arians stepping into the front office a couple weeks after that. Bowles was surely grateful for the opportunity to become head coach, but he inherited Arians’ staff, free agency was largely finished, and it was tougher putting his stamp on the team.

The Bucs appear headed for a rebuild. What kind of runway will Bowles get after taking over the Bucs at such an inopportune time? Arians got out at just the right time. Brady was one year too late. Bowles is left to deal with the aftermath.

• 49ers: The 49ers became an obvious potential landing spot for Brady after their season ended with Brock Purdy suffering an elbow injury that could sideline him into training camp. Even if Purdy’s rehab outlook had been more promising, it was fair to question whether the 49ers could justify running it back with Purdy and Trey Lance.

This 49ers roster is stacked and ready to contend with running Christian McCaffrey, receiver Deebo Samuel, tight end George Kittle, pass-rusher Nick Bosa and linebacker Fred Warner in their prime years. Left tackle Trent Williams is still elite, but at age 34, his time could be running low.

Entrusting the championship hopes of such a loaded roster on a quarterback room featuring only Purdy and Lance, who have combined to finish eight of the 10 total career starts they have made, counting playoffs, could qualify as organizational malpractice.

Even if Brady’s skills had diminished, which can be debated, signing him would have signaled to the 49ers’ locker room that the team remains serious about winning it all. San Francisco made a similar statement by acquiring McCaffrey during the season. Signing Brady would have sent the same message, in an exponentially louder voice.

If Brady is out of the picture, do the 49ers ask Brady’s agent, Don Yee, whether he has any other clients who might be interested in helping out at the position? Yee does represent Jimmy Garoppolo, after all, and after Garoppolo acquitted himself so professionally under strange circumstances this past season, might he consider stepping back into the fold in the 49ers’ hour of need? Purdy and Lance would continue in their rehabs, returning whenever they are ready. In the meantime, Garoppolo would fit far better in San Francisco, where he is beloved in the locker room, than he would anywhere else.

If Brady’s retirement prevents San Francisco from realistically pursuing a top-tier quarterback, there is no better Tier 2-3 option than the one with a 42-19 (.689) starting record with the 49ers since 2017, including 7-3 last season, before Garoppolo was injured.

Kyle Shanahan said Wednesday he can’t see any scenario whereby Garoppolo returns to the team in 2023. That’s a strong indication the Garoppolo door is not open. But when it comes to the 49ers and quarterbacks, all scenarios are very much imaginable, including McCaffrey warming up his arm as the emergency QB, as the case was in the NFC Championship Game.

• Raiders: Before the 49ers’ quarterback situation became such a concern, the Raiders were seen as the most logical destination for Brady if he decided to keep playing. Brady’s connection to Raiders coach Josh McDaniel, his former position coach and offensive coordinator in New England, made for an easy connecting of dots, especially after Las Vegas benched Derek Carr.

• Aaron Rodgers: Removing Brady from the offseason quarterback market leaves Rodgers as the only future Hall of Fame passer with a chance to change teams. His appeal goes up, as does the appeal for every other starting quarterback who might change teams.

Rodgers and the Packers have reached a logical jumping-off point now that the team has faltered on the field enough for Green Bay to consider shifting toward a new era. Rodgers’ recent comments suggesting the Packers should re-sign various declining players who are his friends could not have excited the front office. There has never been a more logical time for a Rodgers divorce from the Packers.

There are some salary-cap and contractual issues complicating a Rodgers trade, but where there is a will regarding such things, there are multiple ways. The Packers might not be able to stomach sending Rodgers to an NFC rival as prominent as the 49ers, but who knows? It was notable this week when Rodgers told Pat McAfee that he wasn’t part of whatever conversations the Packers might be having at this early stage.

At the very least, Brady’s retirement means there is greater scarcity in the market, and perhaps one additional trading partner for the Packers, should they decide the time has come for a separation.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• NFL sets record salary cap for 2023: What it means for the league, NFLPA

By Daniel Kaplan and The Athletic Staff

Jan 30, 2023

The NFL’s salary cap will be a record $224.8 million per club next season, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy confirmed to The Athletic on Monday. Here’s what you need to know:

The cap is growing by $16.6 million from 2022’s total of $208.2 million.
          Last year’s cap number was an increase of $25.7 million per club from the 2021 cap, which was affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Athletic’s instant analysis:

Was this number expected?

The salary cap came in where it has been expected since the NFL’s labor meeting in Irving, Texas, last month. Negotiations over how some benefits are paid out delayed the formal notification sent to teams today, but they have been operating on the presumption of a cap in the neighborhood of $225 million. Based on revenues — the cap is a percent of revenues (around 48 percent) — the number would have been higher. But 2023 is the second-to-last season in which the players will cede cap space because of the pandemic.

Without fans at most stadiums in 2020, the cap in 2021 (local revenues are reflected in the next year’s cap) could have fallen into the $120 million to $130 million range, but was set at $182.5 million. The players agreed to shave off cap space through the 2024 season to make the owners whole. The cap is not the full picture in assessing player compensation. Benefits, which should be set by early March, can total $40 million per club, adding to total player outlays. — Kaplan

What this means for the NFL and NFLPA

The cap is sure to continue to surge in coming years as lucrative new broadcast deals come into play. The NFL is a financial juggernaut, with labor peace in place until the end of the decade and media deals secure. Knowing the cap is continuing to rise, look for teams to push to structure big contracts with more of the pay in later years when the salary will consume less of the cap. Savvy players and their agents could also begin negotiating for salaries as a percentage of cap to capture more of the future gravy rolling in. While $224.8 million is a record high, the 2023 cap will easily be surpassed with it not out of the question the league approaches a $300 million cap by the end of the decade. — Kaplan

My friend Ken L

Comment

• 49ers don’t see ‘any scenario’ where Jimmy Garoppolo returns in 2023, Kyle Shanahan says

By Matt Barrows, David Lombardi and more

Feb 1, 2023

San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan said he doesn’t see “any scenario” that would have quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo back with the 49ers next season. Here’s what you need to know:

Shanahan said Wednesday the team was “content enough” with quarterbacks Trey Lance and Brock Purdy, both of whom are recovering from season-ending injuries.

“I know we have two starters on our team right now that I believe we can win with,” Shanahan said.
            Garoppolo has played with the 49ers since being traded by the Patriots in 2017. He helped guide San Francisco to a Super Bowl LIV appearance against Kansas City.

Purdy, the final pick in last year’s NFL Draft, was 7-0 as a starter prior to last Sunday’s NFC Championship Game loss in Philadelphia. Lance was the No. 3 selection in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Backstory

The 49ers entered the 2022 season expecting Lance to be the team’s starter and expected to move on from Garoppolo. However, the veteran remained with the team and ended up starting 12 games for San Francisco after Lance suffered a season-ending injury in Week 2.

Garoppolo led the team to an 8-4 record this season and threw for 2,437 yards with a 67.2 percent completion rate and 16 touchdowns before suffering a foot injury that ultimately ended his season. Purdy, a rookie seventh-round pick, started the remainder of the 49ers games and was undefeated until he suffered a torn UCL in his throwing elbow against the Eagles in the NFC Championship.

Garoppolo is set to become a free agent in March.

The Athletic’s instant analysis:

Does this plan make sense?

The plan makes sense in that the 49ers closed the most recent training camp with Lance and Purdy as the Nos. 1 and 2 quarterbacks and ended up going deep into the playoffs. Of course, Garoppolo was added to the mix shortly thereafter, and the 49ers will likely bring in a veteran quarterback, though probably not Garoppolo, during free agency. Still, the team believes in its young quarterbacks, especially Purdy whose only loss as a starter came Sunday, a game in which he suffered a severe injury on the opening series. — Barrows

Is it assumed Lance will start the season?

It’s assumed that Lance will be the No. 1 quarterback in the spring because he’ll be fully cleared for practice while Purdy likely will only be just beginning his rehabilitation. But if Purdy is cleared for training camp as expected, he’ll either be the starter or the team will divide the first-team repetitions between him and Lance. And, frankly, Lance needs the repetitions more than Purdy. Despite Lance entering the NFL a year earlier, Purdy attempted nearly five times as many throws in college and has made more than double Lance’s amount in the NFL. — Barrows

Why are they so confident in two relatively unproven players?

Given their larger roster-building philosophy, the 49ers might have no other realistic choice. This team has amassed and paid a significant amount of star power in recent years and more big names — namely Nick Bosa — are in line for a payday. The 49ers’ chosen path to sustain a deep roster is through saving money at the quarterback position. The fact that Lance and Purdy are both on rookie deals accomplishes that, even if it does come at the obvious risk of those players being relatively unproven commodities.

Acquiring any QB who would clearly surpass Purdy and/or Lance on the pecking order would almost certainly be expensive to point of derailing the 49ers’ larger cost structure. That’s why Lynch and Shanahan spoke of filling out the room with a quarterback who fits the team’s salary-cap requirements. That’s not likely to be an upper-tier name.

Ultimately, it comes down to this: The 49ers spent a massive amount of draft capital to acquire Lance. Usually, such an investment requires a positive return for a franchise to perpetuate high-level success. The 49ers may have backed into a really good insurance plan with Purdy, but at some point it’s going to have to work with who the 49ers actually have on the roster. — Lombardi

Potential landing spots for Garoppolo?

There are many. He’s got a Patriots connection with Raider head coach Josh McDaniel and is very familiar to Jets head coach Robert Saleh as well. Both could be shopping for starting quarterbacks. Then there’s the Texans, who could end up being the favorite in the Garoppolo sweepstakes. New head coach DeMeco Ryans knows Garoppolo well and he is interested in hiring the 49ers passing game coordinator, Bobby Slowik, to run his offense. If that happens, Slowik and Garoppolo would be able to hit the ground running when OTAs begin in the spring. Garoppolo is close to being fully cleared following his December foot injury. — Barrows

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Jeff Ireland on Saints QBs: We need to find one, but we don’t want to be throwing darts

Posted by Josh Alper on February 2, 2023, 10:46 AM EST

Getty Images

The Saints are one of the teams that are expected to be in the market for a quarterback this offseason and they are set to receive an asset they can put toward that effort.

Sean Payton’s imminent move to the Broncos will result in a first-round pick coming back to the Saints and that’s particularly significant because the Saints were without one after trading theirs to the Eagles last year. While speaking to reporters from the Senior Bowl this week, Ireland said he’s “excited” about the prospect of adding that pick because it gives the team more “flexibility” heading into the offseason.

Ireland didn’t divulge what direction the Saints will go when talking about quarterbacks. Jameis Winston remains under contract, but was benched for Andy Dalton last season. Ireland acknowledged “we need to find one” as they work their way toward the 2023 season. He also acknowledged that history says their chances of finding one are greater earlier in the draft.

“It has to be the right guy,” Ireland said. “You don’t want to be throwing darts. . . . Gotta have the right traits, gotta have the right intelligence. In the history of the game, generally you have to take one early.”

Much has to play out in terms of evaluations of prospects and the Saints’ moves with veteran players ahead of the draft will provide more hints about what direction they might take at quarterback in 2023.
              Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• No, the NFL isn’t rigged

Posted by Mike Florio on February 2, 2023, 10:36 AM EST
                Getty Images

After that bizarre do-over in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s AFC Championship, a move that gave Patrick Mahomes a Mulligan to try to convert third and nine, we posted a one-word message on Twitter.

RIGGED.

It was tongue in cheek. I don’t actually believe the NFL is rigged. More specifically, I don’t believe the NFL rigs games. First, the NFL doesn’t care who wins or loses games. It just doesn’t. Second, the NFL wouldn’t be able to pull off rigging games — and wouldn’t be able to keep it quiet.

Yes, the Commissioner has said he roots for the team that’s trailing in a given game. And it’s hard not to wonder whether a team that is behind by multiple scores sometimes gets an unspoken opportunity to narrow the gap, like the Bucs did when trying to wipe out a 13-point deficit against the Saints — and when blatant holding by tackle Donovan Smith was being ignored on every play.

Still, outcomes aren’t predetermined. They just aren’t.

The tweet was a reflection of the reaction from many when something weird happens. And that reaction has been legitimized by the events of the past five years.

The 2018 legalization of sports wagering, coupled with widespread advertising for gambling from which the NFL directly profits, makes people think, when strange things happen, that the fix is in. It doesn’t matter whether it’s wrong. What matters is the perception.

The NFL knows this. Indeed, it was one of the primary arguments made against legalized gambling when Delaware tried in 2009 to challenge the federal law that New Jersey eventually toppled in the U.S. Supreme Court nine years later.

“Normal incidents of the game such as bad snaps, dropped passes, turnovers, penalty flags and play calling inevitably will fuel speculation, distrust and accusations of point-shaving and game-fixing,” Commissioner Roger Goodell said at the time.

He was right. While the explanation almost always is incompetence, the prevalence of legalized gambling — as advertised by the NFL and the various media outlets covering the game — will make plenty of people more likely to think something bad is happening.

It’s not. At least not from the perspective of the league trying to push the ultimate outcome of a game in one direction or another.

That said, various avenues are in place for a potential Tim Donaghy scandal. Put his name in the search box (or just click here). You’ll see the various times that we have mentioned issues and wrinkles that create an avenue for someone to try to influence the final score of a given game.

The NFL needs to identify and plug those gaps, sealing off any opportunity for someone to exercise that kind of discretion and influence. It’s among the various subjects addressed in the final section of Playmakers, a book of essays about the past 20 years in pro football — and about the direction in which the sport is going.

If the league doesn’t button certain things up (like many aspects of officiating), it’s going in a direction that has plenty of potential complications, for everyone who cares about the sport.
                Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Ugh...

Will Raiders pivot from Tom Brady to Aaron Rodgers?

Posted by Mike Florio on February 2, 2023, 6:41 AM EST

Getty Images

The Raiders have made it clear that they’ll be moving on from quarterback Derek Carr. Which means they’ll need a quarterback to move in.

Many believed they’d make a run at Tom Brady, given the familiarity that coach Josh McDaniels has with Brady from their many years together in New England.

As one source with knowledge of the dynamics with the Raiders told PFT in the aftermath of Wednesday’s news, the Raiders “absolutely” were counting on Brady being available. And with Brady out of play, the source predicted that they’ll now try to secure the services of Aaron Rodgers.

There’s not a high degree of optimism that they’ll get him, however. First, he has to decide to leave the Packers (which frankly could mean taking the hint that they want him to leave). Second, he’d possibly be more inclined to reunite with Nathaniel Hackett — the new offensive coordinator of the Jets — if he leaves than to spin the wheel on the Patriot Way West.

Former Packers teammate Davante Adams seems to think that it’s doable. He responded early Thursday to a question regarding the specific location of this Mr. Rodgers’s new neighborhood with one word: “Mine.”

However it plays out, having Brady out of the mix should make the chase for Rodgers more interesting. Any team that was thinking seriously about trying to get Brady should now be thinking seriously about trying to pursue a future walk-in Hall of Fame quarterback who is more than six years younger.

Comment

• Bears hire Jon Hoke, announce other staff changes

Posted by Josh Alper on February 2, 2023, 6:31 AM EST

Getty Images

The Bears announced a handful of additions to Matt Eberflus’ coaching staff and the moves include the return of a few former members of the organization.

Jon Hoke has been hired as the team’s cornerbacks coach and defensive pass game coordinator. Hoke played 11 games for the Bears in 1980 and moved into coaching a couple of years later. He spent two decades in the collegiate ranks before being hired by the Texans in 2002 and he moved on to a six-year stint as Chicago’s defensive backs coach in 2009.

Hoke spent the last two seasons as the secondary coach in Atlanta.

The Bears also announced that they’ve hired player engagement/strength and conditioning coach Isaiah Harris and assistant strength and conditioning coach Pierre Ngo. Both have had previous stints with the Bears.

Zach Cable has been hired as an offensive quality control coach while Omar Young has been promoted to assistant quarterbacks/wide receivers coach and Carla Suber has been bumped up to director of wellness. The team also named Mike Wiley Jr. their director of mental skills/performance.

Comment

• Vikings want to interview Ejiro Evero for defensive coordinator

Posted by Josh Alper on February 2, 2023, 6:13 AM EST

Getty Images

The Vikings have not hired a new defensive coordinator since firing Ed Donatell and part of the reason for that appears to be their desire to interview someone who is still up for head coaching jobs.

Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com reports that the Vikings want to interview Broncos defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero for the position. Evero interviewed for the head coaching openings for several teams, including the Broncos, Cardinals, and Colts.

The Broncos are set to hire Sean Payton, but the other two teams have not tabbed new head coaches yet and Evero remains in the running. In addition to that, the Broncos previously denied the Falcons permission to interview Evero but that position could change with Payton expected to take over in Denver.

Minnesota has interviewed Ryan Nielsen, Sean Desai, Mike Pettine, and Brian Flores for the opening. Nielsen was hired by the Falcons and Flores is also a candidate in Arizona.

Comment

• Jerry Jones says he’s not the same old Jerry Jones: “Many ways I’ve changed in 30 years”

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 2, 2023, 5:05 AM EST

Getty Images

Cowboys owner and General Manager Jerry Jones says he can and does change with the times.

Talking to reporters at the Senior Bowl, the 80-year-old Jones said he’s a very different owner and GM than he was when he bought the Cowboys three decades ago.

“I get amused when people talk about this is the same — same old, same old, in reference to my 30 years. If you had any idea how many ways I’ve changed in 30 years. If you had any idea how many different directions I’ve gone in 30 years. Both in personnel and in coaching,” Jones said. “I know I’m sounding defensive, but if anybody thinks they’re looking at the same guy here at the Senior Bowl that was here five years ago, 10 years ago, 15 years ago, they don’t know how this works.”

Jones acknowledged there are frustrations that the Cowboys haven’t won the Super Bowl since the 1995 season, although he said the same is true for the 49ers, who haven’t won the Super Bowl since 1994.

“San Francisco and the Cowboys haven’t been to a Super Bowl in 25 years — haven’t won a Super Bowl in 25 years. Understand that. San Francisco’s in the same boat,” Jones said.

The 49ers have been to two Super Bowls since the Cowboys last went to one, though, and have eliminated the Cowboys from the playoffs the last two years. Jones may have changed a lot, but the Cowboys need more changes to get Jones his fourth Lombardi Trophy.

Comment

• Cowboys want Ezekiel Elliott, Tony Pollard back

Posted by Charean Williams on February 1, 2023, 8:47 PM EST

Getty Images

Running back Ezekiel Elliott said last week he wants to remain with the Cowboys. The team’s decision-makers said Wednesday they “absolutely” want Elliott back.

Owner Jerry Jones and executive vice president Stephen Jones both expressed optimism at keeping the veteran for next season.

“You always want Zeke,” Stephen Jones said, via Nick Eatman of the team website, “but do the numbers work? You can’t define what Zeke does for our football team.”

Elliott had a career-low 231 carries, a career-low 876 rushing yards, a career-low 3.8 yards per carry, a career-low 17 receptions and a career-low 92 receiving yards. In two postseason games, he had 23 carries for 53 yards and three catches for 16 yards and no touchdowns.

If Elliott returns, he will come back on a greatly reduced contract.

Elliott, who turns 28 this summer, is due to make a $10.9 million base salary in 2023 with a $16.72 million cap number. He has no guaranteed money left on his contract, and if the Cowboys designate Elliott a post-June 1 cut, they will create $10.9 million in cap space for 2023.

“Obviously, we’re probably one of the top teams in the league already with what we pay running backs,” Stephen Jones said, via Calvin Watkins of the Dallas Morning News. “We have to make sure how we pay attention to this and how we spread it out — and how we divide up the pie. We have to relook at that. We have to look at Zeke and obviously Tony [Pollard] is looking to make more money. So, we have to relook at the whole thing in terms of turning back and what that looks like.”

Pollard is scheduled to become a free agent, and Jones acknowledged the team would like to keep Pollard. The projected franchise tag for running backs is $10.09 million, but the Cowboys surely would prefer to get Pollard signed to a long-term deal.

Pollard had a career-high 1,007 rushing yards and scored 12 touchdowns, one more than he had in his first three seasons combined. He underwent surgery for a high ankle sprain last week.

Comment

• 49ers would support return of third-quarterback rule

Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2023, 8:10 PM EST

Getty Images

When you have two quarterbacks, you have none. When you have two active quarterbacks on game day and they both get injured, you REALLY have none.

The 49ers learned that the hard way on Sunday in the NFC Championship. Brock Purdy suffered an elbow injury. Then, after quarterback Josh Johnson suffered a concussion, the 49ers had to rely on Purdy to take the snaps, even though he couldn’t throw the ball more than five yards.

During the season-ending press conference in Santa Clara, the question of the now-defunct third-quarterback rule came up. Coach Kyle Shanahan and G.M. John Lynch were asked whether they’d support such a move.

“Yeah, I definitely would be in favor of it,” Shanahan said. “We were scared to death when that rule ended, whatever many years ago that was, but you kind of forget about it since you just don’t see anyone have to go through it, but then you get reminded of how quickly a football game is over once that happens, so I think that would be a very smart thing to have.”

But the rule ended in 2011 because, in lieu of allowing a 46th player to be an emergency quarterback, the league allowed all teams to have 46 players in uniform. Teams could choose, if they wanted, to have the 46th man in uniform be a quarterback. Many opted to not make a quarterback the 46th man on game day.

So, basically, a return of the rule would result in a 47th man — a third quarterback — being in uniform.

“I think it’d be good for football,” G.M. John Lynch said. “You’re always trying to develop these guys, but you’re always weighing that carrying three as opposed to the roster value of being able to host a full complement of position players at different positions, so I think if the league just kind of gave you an out there, everybody would be forced to do it. You have more people in camps improving, I think it’d be good for football.”

It would definitely be good for football to not have a conference championship game that has both quarterbacks on one team getting injured, and the team having to use either an injured quarterback who couldn’t throw or a non-quarterback. And, yes, that’s more than enough of a reason to allow teams to have a third quarterback ready to go, just in case.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                              DEN gave up THREE #1 picks and THREE #2 picks on Wilson/Payton.

That’s an all-time overpay. That Wal-Mart owner went shopping at Gucci, rather than the shit product white trash store he owns.
                              Yeah that’s damned near impossible to come back from. I haven’t liked Wilson in a long time but even I didn’t see him being that bad last year.

I really like Payton but I’m surprised he took that job. Denver is one of the best cities in the US IMO so that has to be the draw. Losing out on that much talent with an aged QB that no one on the team likes is really difficult
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I laughed at Brady when he said he’d play until 45. He took his sport and his body serious. He put the work in like no other on the nutrition side and that’s such a gigantic part of it.

I cant imagine anyone ever topping his legacy in my lifetime. To have the best QB ever to play and the best psycho coach genius of all time together is damned near impossible considering how brutal football is
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X