No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Otto Graham had an absolute bazooka for an arm. He could return kicks and was a pro basketball player for a season. He was a total.natural athlete. You are treading on the thin ice of ignorance discounting him.

It's possible he would have been even better in the modern game, but he wouldn't have made 10 straight title games.

Comment

• Guys like Otto are players in the wrong era, where their talent exceeds everyone else to such a degree. I agree. I think he easily could have kept up in the 80's and into the 90's. Does it completely translate into being competitive today (assuming he played at a level he did when he played) probably not. But you are talking about a player who played half a century ahead of his time. I don't think you can write that off. That said Brady pulled off 7 championships and 10 visits in this Era. That shouldn't have been possible. He did that in an Era that had 3 passers at least that could have been considered some of the best talent and skill at the position with Brees/Manning/Rodgers (and even beat the top of the next gen best, head to head in Mahomes). Sure he took just more than twice as long as Otto, but specially his 01-'11 success that was when the NFL was supposed to be the flattest on team building from top to bottom of the league. While the players themselves aren't comparable but what their performance meant in each era does. I'd give Brady the win there, but its not cut and dry and Otto isn't someone people should discount just because they didn't see him play.
      AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Eli declares himself “greatest coach of the Mannings” after NFC wins Pro Bowl Games

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 6, 2023, 6:03 AM EST

Getty Images

The NFC won the first installment of the Pro Bowl Games, giving NFC coach Eli Manning bragging rights over AFC coach Peyton Manning.

“It’s official, you can’t doubt it, I am the greatest coach of the Mannings. I am so much better at coaching than Peyton. The NFC won, the guys bought in, they played awesome,” Eli said after the game.

The Pro Bowl Games now consist of a combination of three different flag football games as well as skills competitions ranging from five linemen teaming up to pull a heavy sled to receivers competing to see who can make the best catch.

The AFC entered the third and final flag football game with a cumulative score lead from all the previous festivities, but the NFC came from behind to win the final flag football game by enough to win the overall competition by a score of 35-33.

Whether the NFL continues this Pro Bowl Games format remains to be seen, but there appeared to be enough engagement from the fans at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, and from fan reaction on social media, that it was probably popular enough to stick around for at least another year.
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Raiders just say no...

Davante Adams: Playing with Aaron Rodgers again would be “a dream scenario”

Posted by Myles Simmons on February 5, 2023, 9:09 PM EST

Getty Images

With Tom Brady‘s retirement, there’s a chance that the Raiders could shift their focus to potentially trading for Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Receiver Davante Adams is familiar with the process of getting traded from Green Bay to Las Vegas after it happened for him last year. Adams said on Sunday that he’d like to be reunited with Rodgers in 2023 and wants to express that to the Raiders’ brass.

A million percent,” Adams said after the Pro Bowl games, via Vinny Bonsignore of the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “A hundred percent, that’s exactly what I’m trying to portray.”

Adams spent his first eight seasons catching passes from Rodgers to become one of the league’s best receivers. In 2021, he caught a career-high 123 passes for 1,553 yards with 11 TDs.

“Would I be interested in having Aaron Rodgers throw to me?” Adams said. “Yes. I would love that. … I would love to have that, and obviously, that would be a dream scenario. One that I’m very familiar with.”

Adams declined to say whether or not he’d spoken with Rodgers about potentially reuniting in Las Vegas. But he does plan on talking to Raiders G.M. Dave Ziegler and head coach Josh McDaniels about his desire to have Rodgers as his QB again.

“There’s a lot of conversations to be had, still, in the near future,” Adams said. “We’ll see what happens, but that’s obviously something I’d go in and talk about.”

The Raiders are expected to move on from longtime quarterback — and Adams’ former college teammate — Derek Carr either by agreeing to a trade or cutting him before Carr’s $40.4 million in guaranteed money kicks in on Feb. 15.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Oh boy! It didn't take Adams long to cut Carr loose. I guess the writing is on the wall so it's out of his hands, but it seems a bit soon since Carr is still on the team at the moment.

Comment

• I wonder what a team would have to give up for Erin. I know it’s a first rounder but at his age how worth it would that be?
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Oakland or where-ever the fucking Raiders are is a good place for that ass-eyed dumbass
                I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Myles Garrett suffers dislocated toe at Pro Bowl Games

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 5, 2023, 5:14 PM EST

Getty Images

The Pro Bowl has been replaced by a flag football game and various physical challenges for players, but that doesn’t mean injuries will be prevented.

Browns defensive end Myles Garrett suffered a dislocated toe at today’s Pro Bowl Games event.

The Browns confirmed to reporters that Garrett has a dislocated toe, but X-rays were negative.

Given that the season doesn’t start for seven months, there wouldn’t appear to be any reason for long-term concerns about Garrett. But his injury is a reminder that any time athletes are on a field running around, whether in a tackle football game, a flag football game or one of the other Pro Bowl festivities, injuries are possible.

The only way to guarantee an injury-free Pro Bowl would be to have no Pro Bowl at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                    Oakland or where-ever the fucking Raiders are is a good place for that ass-eyed dumbass
                    That was not nice. How would you feel if someone wanted to leave a deuce on your lawn?

Comment

• A.J. GREENWR, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
                      Green A.J. Green retired from the NFL after 11 seasons.

Before opting to spend his final two seasons in the Arizona desert, Green was a perennial Pro Bowl talent. The former Georgia Bulldog was selected by the Bengals with the No. 4 overall pick of the 2011 NFL Draft and kicked off his career with five-straight 1,000+ yard seasons and seven-straight Pro Bowls. He saw a toe injury end his 2018 season early, and missed all of 2019 with an ankle injury before returning in 2020 to go for 47-503-2 in 156 games. Green never quite returned to his old form, as age and injuries caught up to the veteran receiver. It's safe to say he went out on somewhat of a high note, going for 91 yards and a touchdown in his final game, with his score coming on an impressive 77-yard play in which he beat multiple defenders to the ball and the end zone.

RELATED:
                      Feb 6, 2023, 2:02 PM​

Comment

• TOM BRADYQB, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
                        Tom Brady Tom Brady said on The Herd with Colin Cowherd that he will begin broadcasting games in 2024.

Brady has already inked a lucrative broadcasting deal with FOX but won't hit the booth for at least another season. Instead, he'll reportedly spend much of 2023 focusing on his family and spending time with them. Of course, this one-year buffer between career changes also begs the question of whether or not Brady would consider returning to the field in 2023 under the right circumstances -- something that will likely be speculated on throughout the offseason and in-season should a contender lose its starting quarterback. Brady has already said his intent is to stay retired "for good" but if he feels the need to scratch his playing itch, he's given himself enough wiggle room to do so.

SOURCE: Herd w/ Colin Cowherd on Twitter
                        Feb 6, 2023, 1:43 PM​

Comment

• Beat out other teams. Another good sign...

SCOTTIE MONTGOMERYCS, DETROIT LIONS

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Lions are hiring Scottie Montgomery as their assistant head coach and running backs coach.

Montgomery has spent the last two seasons with the Colts and served as the offensive coordinator for the Maryland Terrapins before making the leap to the NFL. The Lions lost assistant head coach and running backs coach Duce Staley to Frank Reich in Carolina last week, paving the way for Montgomery to join Dan Campbell's staff. Montgomery received two interviews last offseason from the Saints and Panthers to fill their offensive coordinator vacancies but ultimately remained in Indy. As Pelissero notes, Montgomery is a "strong and respected veteran" of the league, and one who "multiple teams have had interest in." His hiring looks like yet another strong one for the up and coming Lions.

RELATED:
                          SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
                          Feb 6, 2023, 1:16 PM​

Comment

• MITCH TRUBISKYQB, PITTSBURGH STEELERS
                            mitch The Athletic's Mark Kaboly believes Steelers QB Mitch Trubisky could be a cap casualty this offseason.

This was about as predictable a scenario as one could envision when the Steelers signed Trubisky to a two-year, $14.285 million contract last offseason. In addition to bringing in Trubisky, the Steelers also drafted Kenny Pickett in the first round, spelling a short tenure with the Steelers for Trubisky if all went well for the rookie, Pickett. Kaboly notes in his article that Trubisky is unhappy with how things played out for him in 2022, making him one of the more likely cap casualties on the team. The Steelers can save $8 million against the cap if Trubisky is released, but will likely need to sign a veteran replacement with Mason Rudolph also likely to move on.

SOURCE: The Athletic
                            Feb 6, 2023, 11:46 AM​

Comment

• WILLIAM JACKSONDB, PITTSBURGH STEELERS
                              wj The Athletic's Mark Kaboly believes Steelers CB William Jackson could be an offseason cap casualty.

The Steelers went out and acquired Jackson at the trade deadline for a conditional 2025 sixth-round pick. Jackson struggled in his one-and-a-half years in Washington after joining the team on a three-year, $42 million contract at the start of 2021, and was dealt to the Steelers after the Commanders floated him out to potential suitors. As Kaboly noted in his article, Jackson didn't play a game for the Steelers last season and the team could save $9.25 million against the cap by cutting him ahead of next season. It's possible the Steelers will try to re-work Jackson's contract, but if the two sides can't agree on a new number, an outright release wouldn't be out of the question.

Feb 6, 2023, 11:21 AM​

Comment

• CHASE CLAYPOOLWR, CHICAGO BEARS
                                Chase Claypool Bears OC Luke Getsy said Chase Claypool is a player he could see "getting a lot of opportunities" in 2023.

In an article over at The Athletic, Getsy talks about the trade of Claypool, and the underwhelming results it yielded last season. Acquired at the trade deadline from the Steelers in exchange for a 2023 second round pick, Claypool caught 14 passes for 140 yards in seven games with the Bears, as he struggled with injuries and learning a new playbook. Arguably the most wide receiver-needy team in the league, the Bears can ill afford to see their trade for Claypool fall flat. As a rookie with the Steelers in 2020, Claypool flashed dynamic potential, catching 62 passes for 873 yards and nine touchdowns while rushing for 16 yards and another two scores. He nearly replicated his receiving yards in 2021 but struggled in a revamped Steelers offense to get anything going last season. Claypool now has a full offseason to get familiar with the playbook and improve on what was his most challenging season as a pro to date.

Feb 6, 2023, 9:27 AM​

Comment

Working...
                                X