No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As far as the NFL is concerned, they love the Ford family. The chance of a long time family being pushed out in this league is laughable. Snyder has been an ogre who has really screwed up one of the glamour teams of the league.

Comment

• Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post
      As far as Ridley is concerned I think the league wanted to make an example put of him to get ahead of gambling before it became an ethical problem of players/coaches altering outcomes. Which obviously would be a problem. I personally don't see an issue with betting on your team to win though since that's the goal of the game anyway.
      It gets a bit more complicated than that, though, especially once bets that don't involve straight winning or losing come into play.

For example, say you don't just bet on your team to win, but to win by more than 10 points. Now you're in a position where you can actively impact a ton of bets and manipulate betting outcomes. It may even change how you coach or perform in game.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

It gets a bit more complicated than that, though, especially once bets that don't involve straight winning or losing come into play.

For example, say you don't just bet on your team to win, but to win by more than 10 points. Now you're in a position where you can actively impact a ton of bets and manipulate betting outcomes. It may even change how you coach or perform in game.
        I know bets can get more complicated. I definitely meant pure winning specifically. I understand why it's banned. Just a random thought on that small part of it.

Comment

• He's a really good player. I don't think the gambling thing will be an issue going forward.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Longtime Washington defensive lineman Dave Butz dies at 72

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 4, 2022, 12:22 PM EDT
            Getty Images

Dave Butz, a massive defensive tackle who played 16 seasons in the NFL, has died at the age of 72.

The 6-foot-7, 291-pound Butz was the heaviest player in the NFL when he arrived as the fifth overall pick in the 1973 NFL draft, and he would make an enormous impact throughout his NFL career.

Originally drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals, Butz and his agent staged a holdout throughout training camp and the preseason before finally signing a highly unusual rookie contract that was structured as a series of one-year contracts. That decision would loom large over his NFL future.

After playing well as a rookie in 1973, Butz suffered a season-ending knee injury in the first game of 1974. Then in 1975, as a result of that highly unusual rookie contract, NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle ruled that Butz was a free agent, but that any team signing him would have to send fair compensation to the Cardinals.

Butz ended up signing a contract with Washington, and Rozelle ruled that fair compensation for a player of Butz’s talents was two first-round picks and a second-round pick, so that’s what Washington had to send to St. Louis.

It was worth it: Butz became the centerpiece of Washington’s defensive line for years to come. He won two Super Bowl rings in Washington, was a first-team All-Pro, and was named to the NFL’s 1980s All-Decade Team.

Wrote the legendary sportswriter Jim Murray, “It’s either Butz or the Washington Monument, the two most prominent edifices in the nation’s capital.”

One of the most famous moments of Butz’s career came on a Sunday in 1987 when he was so sick that he had been hospitalized, but he checked himself out of the hospital to play in Washington’s game, sealed the win with a sack of Jets quarterback Ken O’Brien, and then went back to the hospital.

“When I think of Dave, I think of all the great plays he’s made for us over the years,” longtime Washington coach Joe Gibbs said upon Butz’s retirement. “I think of him coming out of the hospital two years ago to play against the New York Jets. He made one of the biggest plays in the game, and then he checked back into the hospital afterward.”

Butz’s helmet was often scratched and pockmarked with the scars of combat in the trenches. Millions of football fans will remember him that way, as the huge man with the scuffed helmet that caused nightmares for opposing quarterbacks.
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• There’s a lot talk the GB wanted in on Hock. I would’ve hated any trade with that franchise.
              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I can’t believe Snyder is willing to sell. He seems so stubborn.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                  There’s a lot talk the GB wanted in on Hock. I would’ve hated any trade with that franchise.
                  The GB? So now we have to call them the Green Bay like the Ohio State University?
                  "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Snyder has the Feds on his ass. Plenty of reason to sell. The Feds don’t play.

Comment

• Originally posted by edindetroit View Post

The GB? So now we have to call them the Green Bay like the Ohio State University?
                      Hahaha. I was drinking heavily last night for the first time in a minute.

F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• The Feds only play when it has to do with Politicians doing crimes. Then its nothing to see here

Comment

• Originally posted by wcfwtf View Post
                          The Feds only play when it has to do with Politicians doing crimes. Then its nothing to see here
                          Post or the year, and it’s unfortunate
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Brian Burns is worth more than Matthew Stafford and taking on Jared Goff’s contract. Confirmed. Damn you, 2019 NFL Draft!!!

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• He’s also way younger. I’m so glad they didn’t make that trade, it would have impacted the LAR pick next year. Dodged the bullet there
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• When the Lions decided to move Stafford I was hoping he would go to the Colts. It seemed like a good destination for him. They had a good offensive line and running game. They had a strong defense. They had a head coach that, for the most part, seemingly got the most out of his QBs (Leaf in SD, Foles and Wentz in Philly, Luck in Indy). According to this article, the Colts were one of the teams that Stafford was open to going to. The Colts really screwed themselves.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/11/08/co...mpaign=2476218

Comment

Working...
                                X