No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rather see him in CHI. So good. F*** the Peckers!

Report: Packers offered Steelers second-round pick for Chase Claypool

Posted by Myles Simmons on November 1, 2022, 5:52 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Bears were able to acquire receiver Chase Claypool from the Steelers in exchange for their original second-round pick in 2023.

But Pittsburgh apparently had another offer on the table.

According to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Packers offered their second-round pick in 2023 for Claypool. But Pittsburgh believed Chicago’s second-rounder would be “considerably higher” than Green Bay’s second-round selection by the time the season ends. That’s even though both teams are currently 3-5.

The Packers were looking for some help at receiver for a unit that has struggled to score in 2022. Green Bay hasn’t reached 30 points in a game yet and is averaging just 17.5 points per game in the team’s four-game losing streak.

Allen Lazard leads the team with 340 yards and four touchdowns. Tight end Robert Tonyan leads the club with 35 catches. Rookie Romeo doubt has 30 catches for 296 yards with three touchdowns.

But second-round pick Cristian Watson has caught just eight passes for 64 yards in five games. Free agent signee Sammy Watkins has nine receptions for 150 yards.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Oh SNAP!!!!!

Britt Reid sentenced to three years in prison

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 1, 2022, 5:44 PM EDT

Getty Images

Britt Reid, the former Chiefs assistant and son of Chiefs head coach Andy Reid, was sentenced to three years in prison today for driving while intoxicated and seriously injuring Ariel Young, a 5-year-old girl.

Reid pleaded guilty as part of a deal in which prosecutors would agree to seek no more than four years in prison. The girl’s family released a statement saying they were “outraged” by the deal Reid got.

Before he was sentenced today, Reid addressed the court and apologized for his actions.

“Every time I see my daughter, I think about Ariel and how my decision affected her so deeply and her family,” Reid said, via Sam McDowell of the Kansas City Star.

Authorities say Reid was driving almost 20 MPH over the 65 MPH speed limit and had a blood alcohol content of .113, well above the legal limit of .08. Court documents indicate that Reid had been drinking at the Chiefs facility before crashing into the car in which Young was a passenger.
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Joe Douglas: “Some calls” on Elijah Moore, but was always going to be a Jet

Posted by Josh Alper on November 1, 2022, 5:41 PM EDT

Getty Images

The trade deadline passed on Tuesday afternoon and wide receiver Elijah Moore remains a member of the Jets.

Moore requested a trade last month after expressing frustration with a lack of passes coming his way and then shared similar sentiments after last Sunday’s loss to the Patriots, but the Jets were steadfast in their refusal to trade the 2021 second-round pick.

At a post-deadline press conference, Jets General Manager Joe Douglas said the team got “some calls” about Moore but that the wideout “was always going to be” staying put. Douglas also said that he still sees a bright future for Moore with the organization.

“We’re a football family and any time there’s an issue we like to handle that in-house. But I was able to have a really good one-on-one conversation with Elijah. We think he has a bright future as a New York Jet,” Douglas said, via Rich Cimini of ESPN.com.

The Jets did make one trade on Tuesday. They sent edge rusher Jacob Martin and a 2024 fifth-round pick to the Broncos for a 2024 fourth-round pick.

Comment

• NFL 2022 trade deadline deals

Posted by Charean Williams on November 1, 2022, 4:52 PM EDT

USA TODAY Sports

Star running back Christian McCaffrey went from the Panthers to the 49ers two weeks ago. But it wasn’t the last trade before the Nov. 1 deadline.

The 10 trades made on Nov. 1 were the most ever on NFL trade deadline day.

Here’s a look at all the trades made the past two weeks:

The Bills traded for running back Nyheim Hines, sending running back Zack Moss and a conditional sixth-round pick to the Colts.

The Broncos sent a 2024 fourth-round pick to the Jets for pass rusher Jacob Martin and a 2024 fifth-round selection.

The Falcons traded suspended receiver Calvin Ridley to the Jaguars for conditional draft compensation.

The Dolphins acquired running back Jeff Wilson from San Francisco in exchange for a fifth-round pick.

The Dolphins got edge rusher Bradley Chubb from the Broncos for the 49ers’ 2023 first-round draft pick (acquired in the Trey Lance deal), the Broncos’ 2024 fourth-round pick and running back Chase Edmonds. The Dolphins also received the Broncos’ 2025 fifth-round pick.

The Commanders sent cornerback William Jackson III and a sixth-round draft pick in 2024 to the Steelers for Jackson and a seventh-rounder in 2025.

The Bears traded their 2023 second-round pick to the Steelers for receiver Chase Claypool.

The Lions and Vikings did a rare deal between division rivals, with the Detroit sending tight end T.J. Hockenson, a 2023 fourth-round pick and a 2024 conditional fourth-round pick to Minnesota for a 2023 second-round pick and a 2024 fourth-round pick.

The Ravens acquired edge rusher Roquan Smith from the Bears in exchange for linebacker A.J. Klein, a second-round pick and a fifth-round pick.

The Eagles sent a fourth-round draft selection to Chicago for edge rusher Robert Quinn.

The Chiefs traded for receiver Kadarius Toney, sending a 2023 third-round pick and a 2023 sixth-round pick to the Giants.

The Jets acquired running back James Robinson from the Jaguars for a 2023 sixth-round pick that can become a fifth-rounder if Robinson runs for 260 yards for New York this year.

The Cowboys got defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins and a 2023 seventh-round selection from the Raiders for a 2023 sixth-round pick.

The Browns acquired linebacker Deion Jones and a 2024 seventh-round pick from the Falcons for a sixth-round pick in 2024.

Kansas City traded cornerback Rashad Fenton to Atlanta for a conditional seventh-round draft pick to clear $1.4 million in salary cap space.

The Bills acquired safety Dean Marlowe in a trade with the Falcons, who received a 2023 seventh-round pick in return.

Comment

• Soooooooooo one guy is injured in January and the other in March. Who gets back on the field first? The one that's not a Lion of course...

Ravens activate Tyus Bowser, David Ojabo

Posted by Josh Alper on November 1, 2022, 4:34 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Ravens made Roquan Smith part of their linebacking corps in a Monday trade and they’re adding a couple of edge rushers to the active roster on Tuesday.

The team announced that they have activated Tyus Bowser and David Ojabo. Both players are coming off Achilles tears and were designated to return in mid-October, so they were nearing the end of the 21-day window to add them to the 53-man roster. If they were not activated this week, they would have become ineligible to play this year.

Ravens head coach John Harbaugh signaled this move was coming on Monday and he said both players could return for Monday’s game against the Saints.

“They’ll both be activated and available. We’ll see what happens,” Harbaugh said, via the team’s website. “I think Tyus will be ready to play, for sure. It really kind of comes back to Tyus saying, ‘I’m going.’ He wants to be mentally ready to go. He has targeted this game, so we’ll see. I’m kind of counting on him, to be honest with you.”

Ojabo was a second-round pick this year, so he’ll be making his NFL debut once he is in the lineup. Bowser had seven sacks while starting every game for Baltimore last season.

Comment

• Ojabo was picked 1 slot ahead of Josh Paschal BTW

Comment

• Packers once again fail to get an upgrade at receiver

Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2022, 9:45 AM EDT

Getty Images

In 2021, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers nearly retired over disillusionment regarding the front office’s failure to accept his input regarding moves the team should make. Since then, they’ve begun to accept his input — even if they don’t really act on it.

Beyond bringing back receiver Randall Cobb, what have the Packers really done to upgrade the position? They sort-of tried to land Odell Beckham, Jr. in 2021, and they reportedly made an effort to get Chase Claypool on Tuesday.

Ultimately, the Packers missed out on Claypool because the Steelers believed the second-round pick from Chicago would be higher than the second-round pick from Green Bay.

Couldn’t the Packers have done a little more, if they really wanted him? Throw in another pick. Add a conditional selection, based on his performance or wins or whatever. Tack a 2024 selection onto the package. Do something to break the tie with the Bears.

If the Packers really wanted him. Maybe they didn’t really want him. Maybe they just wanted to make Rodgers think they tried to get him.

The Packers have been, for 30 years, a draft-and-develop team. They don’t make big moves for established players. They don’t take chances. It likely traces to the lack of an owner to provide the impetus or supply ultimate approval quickly and efficiently. But it’s also baked into the DNA of the team.

Draft. Develop. Play it safe. No sudden moves. Slow and steady wins the race.

How often do slow-and-steady teams win a Super Bowl in today’s NFL? Look around the league. Which teams are currently displaying urgency, and which ones aren’t?

The Bills, Ravens, Chiefs, and Vikings are. The Packers aren’t. They never do. Currently, they apparently think it’s enough to make their franchise quarterback believe they’re making an effort.

Even if it’s half-hearted.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

This is what Sheila, Holmes and Campbell want for this franchise. Again, you aren't gonna draft your way to a Superbowl. If you can't make trades and sign quality - HEALTHY - players, you'll never be anything more then middling. At best.
                Last edited by Futureshock; November 2, 2022, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• Justin Fields excited to add Chase Claypool

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 2, 2022, 2:47 PM EDT

Getty Images

Bears quarterback Justin Fields said today that he was very pleased with the news that the Bears had made a trade to acquire wide receiver Chase Claypool from the Steelers.

“I was excited, of course,” Fields said. “He’s a playmaker. Big body, athletic, fast, great 50/50 ball catcher. . . . Any time you trade for a player like him, you’re just trying to make the team better.”

Fields said the Bears’ front office and coaches have told him that they think he’s improving every week, but he disagreed with any notion that bringing in a young receiver proves the Bears are fully committed to Fields as the long-term answer at quarterback.

“I’m not worried about the next 5-10 years, I’m worried about this week,” Fields said.

Fields said that contrary to some perceptions that the Bears were waving the white flag on this season after trading Robert Quinn and Roquan Smith, he and his teammates — and the Bears’ coaches — believe they can win this year.

“Nobody has that mindset on our team. Everybody on our team, including coaches, we want to win every game,” Fields said.

The 3-5 Bears have an uphill battle to be a playoff team this year, but Fields believes this is a team that is going places.

Comment

• Chase Claypool: I feel I didn’t have the full opportunity to show what I can do this year

Posted by Myles Simmons on November 2, 2022, 4:01 PM EDT

Getty Images

Chase Claypool is now in Chicago after the Bears acquired him from the Steelers for a second-round pick.

Claypool met with the media on Wednesday and said he doesn’t have any “bad blood” for anyone in Pittsburgh after the deal.

“It was hard to take offense to it because I know it’s just the nature of the business,” Claypool said in his press conference. “It’s not like I was like, ‘Oh, I want to get out, I want to get out,’ or, ‘I hope I do.’ I was just letting the cards play how they were played.”

A second-round pick in the 2020 draft, Claypool had a strong rookie season, catching 62 passes for 873 yards with nine touchdowns. He rushed for a pair of touchdowns as a rookie, too.

Last season, he caught 59 passes for 860 yards with two TDs.

But his production went down in 2022, making only 32 catches for 311 yards with a touchdown. His yards per reception dropped from 14.6 to 9.7.

“I mean, I think I tried a new position this year in the slot,” Claypool said. “I was outside for my first two years and it wasn’t quite the best fit but it wasn’t the worst either. So, I think maybe it actually helped me in terms of being able to play all three positions on the field now.”

Now that he’s with Chicago, Claypool is looking forward to showing more of his dynamic playmaking ability.

“I feel like I didn’t have the full opportunity to show what I can do this year,” Claypool said. “But, I think I’ve been able to show that in the past. And I’m excited to be able to gain that trust with Justin [Fields] to where he knows if he needs a play, he can come to me.”

It may take Claypool some time to get fully integrated into the Bears’ offense. But it’s reasonable to think he should be Fields’ primary option by the end of the 2022 season.

Comment

• Cody Whitehair returns to practice for Bears

Posted by Josh Alper on November 2, 2022, 2:38 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Bears added wide receiver Chase Claypool to the roster on Tuesday and they may also be getting left guard Cody Whitehair back in time to face the Dolphins this Sunday.

Whitehair has missed the last four games with a knee injury, but he was designated for return from injured reserve on Wednesday. He’ll practice with the team and head coach Matt Eberflus made it sound like there’s a decent chance that he’ll be activated on Sunday.

“He’s in a good spot mentally,” Eberflus said, via Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune. “He’s been working his tail off in the rehab. His strength numbers are good. His jump numbers are good. His velocity, his speed in his jumps is good. We think he’s going to be good.”

Lucas Patrick, who is now on injured reserve, started the first two games that Whitehair missed and Michael Schofield started the last two. If Whitehair gets the green light, his run with the first team will likely come to an end.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

I just don’t get what their deal is. It’s like they severely don’t care about surround Erin with help
                        Maybe they believe he’ll just make the receivers better. That’s what winners do…

Comment

• Steelers and Patriots are no different.
                          They build from within. Those 3 teams combined have been in 24 SB's.
                          They've won 16 of them.

Same MO. Draft, develop, grab a guy on the cheap that other teams undervalue.

Been that way most of my lifetime with those 3 organizations.

The teams to worry about are the teams that are all over the place - like the Lions, changing defensive schemes 3 times in 4 years - and wondering why they don't have the players to run the scheme they want to run.

Comment

• The Packers and Rodgers are like a bitter married couple that can't divorce, so it is all passive aggressive nonsense from both sides. The Packers are blowing it. You notice the Chiefs keeps on supplying Mahomes with weapons.

Comment

• The Patriots traded for Moss, had the greatest Tight End of all time spent a lot of money to get Wes Welker. They had Antonio Brown. Eventually they lost Brady because he got sick of them penny pinching on offense. They have been subpar since he left.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                                The Packers and Rodgers are like a bitter married couple that can't divorce, so it is all passive aggressive nonsense from both sides. The Packers are blowing it. You notice the Chiefs keeps on supplying Mahomes with weapons.
                                They have. They just have the same mindset as our GM. A long-term view. A aron doesn't have time for that. He also has had success doing the same with the same guy(s). And because of that they could also improvise as needed. Well, now he doesn't have that and they don't know where he wants them and when. So that advantage is not there. BUT he will get Lizard back which will help immensely.

Comment

Working...
                                X