Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    I don't ever recall a possible rental like Ohtani being available at the deadline. It was uncharted waters. Most of the time it's a good player that can be had for a few prospects like a prospective Lorenzen trade or it's a great player on a long term deal like Verlander. What would you have traded for Ohtani, he's a great player but his price as a rental should be like 6 prospects because you are getting a pitcher and a slugger. I'm not sure anyone is giving that up for 3 months unless you can reasonably sign him to an extension.

He wasn't even supposed to pitch yesterday but they decided to go for it and there was the doubleheader. My son went down to see him yesterday he got a double feature, probably the greatest doubleheader performance in history.
    I have never seen Ohtani play in person. That is definitely is on the bucket list.
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

I have never seen Ohtani play in person. That is definitely is on the bucket list.
      Sounds like you missed the doubleheader...How many players in history have thrown a complete game 1 hit shutout in game 1, then hit 2 HRs in second game of doubleheader? I doubt even Babe Ruth pulled that off.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post

Sounds like you missed the doubleheader...How many players in history have thrown a complete game 1 hit shutout in game 1, then hit 2 HRs in second game of doubleheader? I doubt even Babe Ruth pulled that off.
        I have Game 1 on the DVR. But it is one thing to see on TV and whole another to see it the game. You gain another level of appreciation seeing the greats in person. Never seen Trout in person either.
        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Tigers have been quiet with just under 9 hours left until the trade deadline. Hopefully see some action soon.

I’ll be rooting for notable Tigers trades to the Reds or Brewers. Reds because I lived in Cincinnati for a few years and they have a strong farm system. Brewers because they have always been my 2nd favorite MLB team. A Brewers friend of mine was complaining about their pitching last night. Just sayin… Tigers!​ Make it happen.
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Ah... this most wonderful time of the year where Tigers fans anxiously wait for their team to trade off anyone with a pulse... then wonder why they are in this same exact spot at this same exact time the following year.

Comment

• For most of the Ilitch era, it has been the equivalent of the NFL draft being the Lions Super Bowl.

Most of these trades amount to nothing. People go nuts on sports radio thinking you can jumpstart your rebuild with these trades. People remember Smoltz for Alexander, Bagwell for Larry Anderson and Verlander for Jake Rogers, but those trades are rare. They can be additive, but the more important day was the draft and they seemed to do pretty well drafting and signing players there.

I also think people are anchored to the thought that the Tigers were the only game in town in regards to the pitching talent available. Lorenzen and Rodriguez are good pieces, but Scherzer was just traded and Verlander is available. I don't think they are getting the high price they are asking for.

The best case scenario is they trade two or three players and receive the haul DD got right before they fired him.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                Ah... this most wonderful time of the year where Tigers fans anxiously wait for their team to trade off anyone with a pulse... then wonder why they are in this same exact spot at this same exact time the following year.
                The sad part is that we’re probably going to see the Mets get a nice haul for Verlander which is sad as I wanted the Tigers to trade him all those years ago.

I wanted him gone for his own sake but man did we get screwed. Did you see what they got for Scherzer? Time to be angry
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I’m happy to see JV go back to the Astros. Can definitely tolerate seeing the Dusty Baker led Astros have success.

Mets receive the Astros best prospect. However, he’s ranked below Jace Jung for perspective of the deal. The Tigers haul for JV in 2017 was certainly perceived as better than what the Mets just got. Even though that trade turned out to be terrible for the Tigers. Like I’m sure Franklin Perez was a better prospect at the time then Drew Gilbert.​
                  AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Verlander was dominating at the time the Tigers received that pupu platter from the Astros.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      For most of the Ilitch era, it has been the equivalent of the NFL draft being the Lions Super Bowl.

Most of these trades amount to nothing. People go nuts on sports radio thinking you can jumpstart your rebuild with these trades. People remember Smoltz for Alexander, Bagwell for Larry Anderson and Verlander for Jake Rogers, but those trades are rare. They can be additive, but the more important day was the draft and they seemed to do pretty well drafting and signing players there.

I also think people are anchored to the thought that the Tigers were the only game in town in regards to the pitching talent available. Lorenzen and Rodriguez are good pieces, but Scherzer was just traded and Verlander is available. I don't think they are getting the high price they are asking for.

The best case scenario is they trade two or three players and receive the haul DD got right before they fired him.
                      Both Lorenzen and Rodriguez are most likely 3 month rentals...Thats what makes it tough on both sides

Comment

• Agreed, I'm not sure why the anticipation is so high for them getting a big return because they are three month rentals. We know they signed Lorenzen specifically to possibly cash in at the deadline with him. That would be great if they could get some prizes but I'm skeptical.

If there still is a robust market for Carpenter, I would seriously kick the tires. I like him, but I wonder if he is a long term piece or he is a Brennan Bosch/Andy Dirks type. A couple good seasons before a flameout.

One of my favorite Boesch memories is he had a monster 1st half of 2011 and Matt Newman was convinced the Tigers had themselves a left handed bat to protect Miggy for the next 8 years.

Comment

• Rumors on Google/ or X that the Tigers are getting the Phillies #5 overall prospect for Lorenzen.
                          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                            Rumors on Google/ or X that the Tigers are getting the Phillies #5 overall prospect for Lorenzen.
                            Cool. He'll be excellent trade bait in three years for the next sell off!

Comment

• They trade Lorenzen for Hao-Yu Lee, a 20 year old Taiwanese middle infielder.

Comment

• You're not thinking long term enough, Froot!

He'll be an excellent piece to trade for the Giants #7 prospect in 2027!

Comment

Working...
                                X