Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
    I still can't believe Correa is going to command the type of money that he's going to get. There's no way he's worth that right?
    Setting aside the legit question of if anyone is worth that kind of money. He might be worth it for the Tigers. Right now they only have E-ROD as a guy with committed money to beyond the 23 season. He would be the face of the franchise after Miggy leaves And there is a huge defensive and offensive need @ SS for the TIgers.

At this point I am all for signing Correa and JV and calling it a winter. Imagine this team opening day 2026

RF/CF Baddoo
    LF Grossman
    SS Correa
    DH Miggy
    3b Candelario
    1b Torkelson
    2b Schoop
    CF/RF Greene
    C Barnhart

Bench:

OF V Reyes/Cameron/D Hill
    C Haase
    IF I Paredes
    IF W Castro/Short.H Castro

Verlander
    E-Rod
    Mize
    Skubal
    Manning

PEN

LHP Soto RHP Fulmer
    LHP Alexander RHP Cisnero
    RHP Funkhouser
    RHP Lange
    RHP Foley
    RHP Jimenez
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Why would Miggy still be a Tiger in 2026? That must be a typo
      WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Come home, JV. If makes too much sense for JV to be the next Kenny Rogers for the Tigers. Full circle for his career.

It’s going to break my heart if these JV to the evil empire Yankees rumors are true. Anyone but the Yankees .
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Erod is a great signing. He’s a big lefty who is still young. Elite K numbers. He can be dominant at times. He goes on huge runs.

He does have a high WHIP and can struggle with location. So he gets hurt with traffic at times.

Great move as it’s not HUGE money. His WAR was around 4 last year and a low FIP. If he can give us 4 WAR and innings, then that’s a huge get. There’s some upside left too as he pitches in COPA. He’s a dog.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
            I still can't believe Correa is going to command the type of money that he's going to get. There's no way he's worth that right?
            If healthy, I think he is. Really good offensive player and his defense is incredible

Comment

• Nobody doubts the talent. They doubt the constant missed games, mainly the back. Back injuries are no good and they are no good for a SS. You’re not hiding this dude in a corner OF spot. His back needs to hold for his value to hold.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                Nobody doubts the talent. They doubt the constant missed games, mainly the back. Back injuries are no good and they are no good for a SS. You’re not hiding this dude in a corner OF spot. His back needs to hold for his value to hold.
                True true

Comment

• Lol, we could end up with both of these guys.

Comment

• Erod is such a great move. A young lefty who gets K’s and has postseason experience? We just sort of robbed him by swooping in when he did. He got his money, too.

There is an opt out after two years, but whatever, we can always extend him.

Comment

• Where are the Illitch whiners?

Just wait until we splurge more on a SS. We already took on $7 with Barnhart.

Comment

• Once the payroll gets up to 150 million where it should be, I will say good job.

Comment

• That $7M Barnhart move definitely proves to me that Chris wants to be a winner. Such a bold, gutsy, and daring move for ownership to approve.

Let’s see the Tigers close the deal on a big SS signing first. Sounds like it will happen, but you never know.
                          I have always been in the camp that said “We don’t know if Chris is willing to spend or not.” Pointing to this offseason in particular as a test if you look back at past posts on this thread.

E-Rod…. Some people have been trolling Tigers fans on social media over the last year because of this FIP stat. Casey Mize in particular because his FIP has been poor in his career.
                          Well, now the Tigers signed someone that is FIP over WHIP/ERA. Where are those haters now!
                          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Well prior to this move. The TIgers had $52 million to 4 players (Miggy, Grossman, Barnhart and Schoop). The E-rod signing puts them @ 66 million.
                            They have a bunch of guys that are going to be 0-3 years and can pay them whatever (for purposes here we are going to assume 700k). Those guys are: Torkelson, Greene, Haase, Baddoo, Soto, Funkhouser, Lange, Mize, Skubal, Manning and Aleander. All those guys should be locks barring injury so that is 11 @7.7 million. Up to 73.7 million

Among the arbitration guys I am bringing back (for purposes here using MLBTR's arb estimates): Fulmer, Candelario, Cisnero, Victor Reyes, Turnbull, J Jimenez, Harold Castro and Turnbull Those 9 total up to 20.1 million. Up to 93.7 million.

Sign Carlos Correa to a contract starting @30 million. Up to 123.7 million.

Sign JV to a 2 year deal / 50 million (23 and 27) 146.7 million.

I actually do sign Boyd to a 2 year/17 million deal (7 and 10). 153.7 million.

Yeah that would seem on the surface to be some drunken sailor spending. But it isn't.

The only significant contracts beyond 2 years would be: E-rod (if he opts out) and Correa.

2 years from now you would be shedding Miggy (24 million in savings if DET buys him out could be 32 if he straight up retired)
                            JV (27 million)
                            Boyd (10 million)
                            Schoop (7.5 million)

that is 78.5 million right there with those 4 guys. Would be 92.5 million if E-rod opted out. That is more than enough to reset things if needed.
                            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I don't think you have 3 lefties in the rotation, so I think the Rodriguez signing is a replacement for Boyd.

Comment

• The not spending argument thus far has been based mostly speculation that them not spending in the last few years when they really shouldn't have been. Speculating that it would continue when they get to where they should start spending to fill holes the farm hasn't turned out. Both the Wings are coming off of Eras of overspending and selling off the farm to chase. That kinda push requires a reset when the wheels fall off as you rebuild the farm.

Also in baseball you can say you should spend on some names for fan interest or to improve from the floor all you want. The reality is though no one worth a shit is gonna want to come here until you start to show promise. There's always good teams able to pay.

Comment

Working...
                                X