No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's not the slightest bit true, and any Tiger fan should know that.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
      I don't think you have 3 lefties in the rotation, so I think the Rodriguez signing is a replacement for Boyd.
      Well, my logic is that (at least for this year) by the time Boyd will be ready (mid season) someone will be hurt or ineffective. Even if everyone is pitching fine you can go to a 6 man rotation for awhile AND Boyd has shown the ability to be a frontline pitcher for a couple month run.

Worst case in the offseason you move Boyd in the offseason (assuming Turnbull is going to be ready).
      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• So there’s a chance.

AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I’d love to bring JV home but if they don’t make another big move I don’t see the point for him.
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• The impression that he doesn't spend came from the disastrous Illitch Kids era running things from 96 to 2003. They were about as cheap as you could get. Most.of you fellas probably were not following the Tigers back then, that would explain the mistaken impression of JGSpartan.

Comment

• The Tigers really only turned it around because Mike took back control and started spending A LOT of money to bring in players who shouldn't have wanted to come here.

Comment

• JV resigned with the Astros for 1 year. He’ll come back next season if the Tigers make improvement.
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• No, I just disagree completely. It doesn't matter who They put in as figurehead or running operations it was still Mr. I's money and his decision whether or not to spend it. Yes they were able to tempt a few guys back then. That's wasn't gonna happen today with so many teams spending big.

Comment

• Ilitch did not care about the Tigers until they embarrassed themselves. The Ilitch Kids were running the show. Any disagreement shows you didn't follow the team during that era.

Comment

• That doesn't change who's money it was to choose to spend.

Comment

• Chris was the guy who didn't want to spend the money. They made a big deal when Mike Ilitch took back control and all of a sudden they started spending money. Remember The Committee? And then they hired Dombrowski. Chris Ilitch was the one saying they wanted to replicate the Minnesota Twins.

To say that Mike was pulling the strings behind the scenes and that Chris Ilitch wasn't permitted to spend would be like going out and saying that the sky is green.

The last spending splurge for the Tigers when he came back from his death bed.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          To say that Mike was pulling the strings behind the scenes
                          and that Chris Ilitch wasn't permitted to spend would be like going out and saying that the sky is green.
                          That is not what I said, but ok. Make up your own arguments if you like. I'm saying dad was perfectly fine with the plan until he got impatient. That doesn't mean Chris would have never spent. It meant then and it means now he didn't want to spend his way out of the gutter. We never got to see where it would go. Its speculation. I'm also arguing it hasn't even been an option now. Guys won't come until there's a reason since big bucks have been getting thrown around left and right by a lot better teams. If you think at any point it was not the father having final say I'd really like to hear your thoughts on what you think Tanya Snyder will do with Washington.

Comment

• I don't think the Snyder situation isn't in anyway analogous.

Comment

• Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post

That is not what I said, but ok. Make up your own arguments if you like. I'm saying dad was perfectly fine with the plan until he got impatient.....
                              People will try to tell you spending money solves all problems. It doesn't.

In fact, a large swath of that performance that led to the magical season of 2006 were from nobody's - the very people you DON'T throw big money at. Either because you don't have to (rookie deal) or because they are a castoff from another team.

Bonderman (prospect on a rookie deal)
                              Shelton (waiver claim)
                              Robertson (makeshift lefty on a rookie deal)
                              Zumaya (prospect on a rookie deal)
                              The Gambler (41 y/o having a last hurrah - 1 year deal)
                              Verander (prospect on a rookie deal)
                              Rodney (prospect on a rookie deal)

It took 6 more years and ALL of those guys leaving save Verlander before they would ever have a back-to-back playoff run.

This shit CANNOT be expected to be solved with the stroke of a pen - unless you don't believe in Murphy's Law.

Comment

• They were as cheap as could be during the Ilitch Kids reign, you sound like another fella that didn't watch the team during the Ilitch Kids era. They were incredibly cheap, it affected them all the time from drafting signability guys in the draft who never sniffed the big leagues, to never signing any impactful free agents. The era was fucking awful, bit keep on with the revisionist history.

Comment

Working...
                                X