Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My next rental listing. ;)

zojiexc16jx91.jpg
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
      My next rental listing. ;)

zojiexc16jx91.jpg
      We had a young unmarried couple next door to us that did exactly that. After that the owner sold it.
      "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Originally posted by edindetroit View Post

We had a young unmarried couple next door to us that did exactly that. After that the owner sold it.
        Haha! This is a really great meme. I really like the progression of rules. With each one he thinks of another and gets more upset until he gets to the final straw.

Genius.
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Hey you fucking fucks!

Thought I'd bring this thread back up. I'm getting ready to re-do my laundry room and I know you all are waiting with bated breath to see the outcome of my next project...

I had what I thought was a serious plumbing problem a couple of weeks ago. I noticed some water on my garage floor after running the washing machine. My first thought was maybe my 20 year old water heater had finally shit the bed, but I didn't see any water on the laundry room floor under the heater, so my next thought was that I had a leak in the sewer line under the slab. That would have been a serious, big money problem and I wasn't too excited about it to say the least. I was getting my mind set to tear out some dry wall and see what I could see when I discovered that the drain for the washer was backing up. When the washing machine would drain, the sewer pipe would fill up and then water would run down the wall but then flow behind the baseboard and make its way through the wall into the garage. Apparently I had a partial blockage in my sewer pipe. The pipe wasn't plugged up enough to cause a back up into the house with normal in house use, but when the washer drained there was enough water dumped into the pipes all at once to cause it to back up.
          The fix of snaking the line was pretty simple and now everything is draining as it should

While I was working on this, I decided it was time to tear that laundry room down and clean it up, replace the water heater and add some cabinets. I am going to reconfigure the pipes a bit and replace the 40 gal tall water heater with a 38 gal low boy. It shouldn't be too big of a deal but I have to wait until my wife is out of town, because I'll have to shut off the water for a day or two while I am replacing water lines and the water heater. Once I get the water heater replaced and the drywall done, I'll put some fresh paint on everything and add some cabinets over the washer and dryer. (pipes and tall water heater are in the way now)
          It shouldn't be too big of a project, but you never know what kind of bullshit problems you will run into in an old house. We'll see how it goes...

BTW, I finally got my fence stained and added a concrete pad under the gate. I think it looks pretty good.

thumbnail_IMG_4451 (1).jpg
          Last edited by CGVT; February 3, 2023, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Not interested in trying a tankless water heater?
            Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• The gate looks nice! Good luck with the new project. Hope it goes as you expect!
              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
                Not interested in trying a tankless water heater?
                No. The water is so fucking hard here that I think it would be a nightmare to maintain unless I add a softener or filtration system (or both) and I don't want to have to deal with that bullshit. I have changed out a few stuck valves and will get them all changed as I work my way through the house. I'll replace the valves to the washer when I tear this room down.

I imagine my 40 gal water heater is only about 20 gallons now because of all of the scale that has settled inside. Even though I'll be able to take it out the door without much problem, I think it probably weighs a shit-ton and will be a pain in the ass to remove.

Comment

• Ahhhh. Totally get it. Probly in the same boat here. When I thought I was going to have to replace mine, I was thinking about it. But research told me I would probly need to add filtration also (years ago my outgoing waste pipes totally plugged with - I think calcium???? Looked like a cigarette filter when I cut that pipe out. Of course it had to happen in the subzero winter bullshit, thought shit was just frozen. 40 years of that shit adds up.). I kind of want to go that way when I have to finally replace it. But I want to see someone else do it first and figure out the pitfalls. So I don't have to deal with those fucking fucks.
                  Last edited by dpatnod; February 3, 2023, 08:18 PM.
                  Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• I have a trailer in the thumb right off Lake Huron, the well is a 13 foot point,.that water is crap. We took out a water heater that was 40 years old and had so much crap in it. It was so heavy.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      I have a trailer in the thumb right off Lake Huron, the well is a 13 foot point,.that water is crap. We took out a water heater that was 40 years old and had so much crap in it. It was so heavy.
                      Yeah. That's my fear, although this house has been empty for the better part of 30 years so my heater didn't get as much use. It was SOP to turn off the breaker when nobody was here so the life was probably prolonged, but the water is sooooo bad. When I was working on the plumbing I had to use a strap wrench on the valves for the washing machine to break them loose so I could shut them off to move the washer.

Comment

• After that tree branch fell on my fence in the hurricane last year, I realized I needed to get some tree work done before this year's hurricane season. I finally saved up enough pennies to get the work done. They are taking down 4 trees, grinding the stumps and cleaning all of the dead and overhanging branches in the yard.

$3200 for about two days of work is a really good deal in this area.

They are taking two pines from the front yard. The one that the guy is on was leaning toward the house. They are taking the one that is leaning out over the road as well.

thumbnail_IMG_4462.jpg

Comment

• I'm sure it's for the best, but it always makes me a little sad when trees have to go.
                          #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Originally posted by -Deborah- View Post
                            I'm sure it's for the best, but it always makes me a little sad when trees have to go.
                            Exactly. We have a tree in the backyard that is by a bay window by the kitchen. It has our bird feeders in it and has been a part of the yard for a long time, but it is at the end of its life and is leaning over the house. I hate to take it down, but it has to go before it gets blown over onto the house and causes serious damage. We will replace it, but haven't decided what to put there yet.

The two pines in the front are leaning badly. One will take a transformer and power lines out if it falls and the other is leaning toward the house. They were both straight before the last hurricane.

Comment

• Yeah you're doing the right thing, just sucks. Our neighborhood is surrounded by a ravine that has really old, tall trees. It is also where the geniuses who developed the area put the power lines. The electric company has been removing these trees at a high rate over the past year. :( Obviously it's a good thing for those who like having power lol...but damn.
                              #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Speaking of trees...This Long Leaf Pine in our back yard is more than 10 feet in circumference at chest level. I did the calculations (radius x growth factor) and determined that it is approximately 195 years old. We have another that is slightly smaller. It is about 170 years old.
                                Those are some big-assed pine trees. Ha!

thumbnail_IMG_4481.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X