All Things Rams - Stafford Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post

I disagree. Lions were already doing Stafford a favor by trading him to a different team. It’s foolish to think about taking a discount to make Stafford happy.

The Panthers trade offer (8th overall pick + Bridgewater + 5th RD pick) is clearly better than what the Lions traded for (31st/ 32nd overall pick + future late 1st RD pick + 3rd RD pick / Iffy Melifonwu). Lions lost the trade. Classic.
    This is basically the NFL version of the New Orleans Pelicans’ laughable return in the Jrue Holiday to Bucks trade.
    How is that "clearly better" again? With a rebuilding team, having more lottery tickets is in many ways more important than having one really promising one.

I also love how you include Bridgewater on the Carolina offer, but not Goff on the LA Rams offer. It's almost like you have an interest in trying to make one deal look better than the other. But that's just silly.

The Lions were going to "lose" any trade for Stafford; period. There was no combination of picks, outside of a Hershell Walker or Ricky Williams type of trade, that was going to equal the value that Stafford brought to the Lions, at least not right away. In some sort of charted value of the picks involved, Carolina's offer might have been marginally better, but not "clearly" so, and certainly not worth pissing off another franchise player with some classic Lions ownership bullshit.

Comment

• Burrow has been very good and in these playoffs he didn't self destruct when all three of his opposing quarterbacks did.

The thing is right now, the Lions don't have a shot for a guy like Burrow right now. They have to keep acquiring talent and biding their time until they find a guy. They have to be careful not to identify a hawk as an eagle when he's in a nest of crows.

Comment

• Adding Goff makes the Rams deal look worse on the Lions end. Yes, I simply forgot to type Goff there.
        #8 overall is clearly better than two late 1st RD picks. A known commodity compared to hoping the Rams fail in 2021 and 2022. Lottery picks.
        I don’t care about making Stafford happy. I’m a Lions fan, not a Rams fan. Happy for Stafford personally, but that doesn’t impact the Lions.
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Again, not really.

The #8 in a pandemic disrupted year where Holmes acknowledged their scouting had not been able to get much work in because of the various restrictions at the time would have been throwing a dart while slightly tipsy. It's certainly a justifiable reason to put more weight on picks the following year that you might not do normally. Unless you're convinced Justin Fields was a prize the Lions simply had to have (which I certainly am not), there's nothing that makes Carolina's offer "clearly better."

And go ahead and keep carrying the Ford Family's water. Pissing off players for what amounts to little reason isn't good business.

Comment

• I’d have taken the Panthers pick, Fields and Sewell. Leave the Bears in purgatory and develop him behind someone like Bridgewater without the cap Goff carries.

I never bought the hype that the Rams pick was going to be 15 cos Stafford and Donald went down injured. I had it as 28-32 and it looks like being the worst one possible.

Comment

• A lot of Lion fans sided with them when they needed that 1.5 million from Calvin.

Comment

• The Bears might be in purgatory with Fields, this year he showed nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadWolf View Post
                  FFS, both games today have had their half time analysts in the wrong spot during the half time show.
                  Well..
                  schitts creek wink GIF by CBC

Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                  The 49ers had like 13 guys on the field by the snap. Holy shit, these refs are awful.
                  Vunder Boy blew his early so he couldn't throw the flag on a legitimate foul.

Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                  Future Hall of Famer Matthew Stafford is going to the Superbowl!
                  ElRc0yWWkAEwZA6.jpg
                  This should be shared whenever a hater starts his crap.

I think he might be out camping with Gonz.
                  OMG Froggy and the Red Pants people got put out AND MS proved Gonz's eye was not legit? That man may never show his face again. Do they deliver mail to the mountains?

Originally posted by DetroitRockCity View Post

C'mon man. This is the closest any of us Lions fans have ever been to a Superbowl.
                  No it isn't. By that logic we won last year with Suh. Or does only QBs count? EIther we won last year or we don't get to "win" at all because they didn't do it here.

I don't understand...
                  Last edited by Futureshock; January 31, 2022, 10:58 AM.
                  Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• I feel like this is the closest we will ever get to a Super Bowl as Lion fans. I beg them to make me eat crow.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                      I feel like this is the closest we will ever get to a Super Bowl as Lion fans. I beg them to make me eat crow.
                      you are correct. This is the first time that I can remember that I am actually excited about an NFL playoff run.
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post

No it isn't. By that logic we won last year with Suh. Or does only QBs count? EIther we won last year or we don't get to "win" at all because they didn't do it here.

I don't understand...
                        Hey, I was giggling with delight when Suh made the first time, and was rooting for the Rams against the Patriots largely for that reason. When Suh finally DID get his ring last year, I loved it, especially since it pissed off all the provincial haters who took Suh's (absolutely correct) decision to get the hell out of Detroit as a personal insult to them.

Comment

• Futureshock mentioned Suh, but the situations aren't the same.
                          1. Suh is a prickly personality that never talked to the local media. He was largely an anonymous figure in Detroit.
                          2. Nobody ever said you can't win with Sub.
                          3. The Lions as an organization never would speak, you only heard from the head coach or the quarterback and sometimes Dominic Raolia. For 12 seasons he stood up there and took the slings and arrows for the franchise and never complained. In response he was castigated and made fun of, Valenti plays this stupid Um song of Stafford. Suh never went through that nonsense.

Comment

The Panthers trade offer (8th overall pick + Bridgewater + 5th RD pick) is clearly better than what the Lions traded for (31st/ 32nd overall pick + future late 1st RD pick + 3rd RD pick / Iffy Melifonwu). Lions lost the trade. Classic.
                            You left out the part where they got Goff.

"Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Adding Goff makes the Rams deal look worse on the Lions end.
                              No it doesn't.

"Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• How? Lions are paying Goff (a bottom third NFL starting QB) fringe top 5 money. They are stuck on this contract for another year.
                                It's not good on the Lions end unless your argument is tanking.

Hardly a difference between Goff and Bridgewater. That's where it's marginal.

Again, not really.

The #8 in a pandemic disrupted year where Holmes acknowledged their scouting had not been able to get much work in because of the various restrictions at the time would have been throwing a dart while slightly tipsy. It's certainly a justifiable reason to put more weight on picks the following year that you might not do normally. Unless you're convinced Justin Fields was a prize the Lions simply had to have (which I certainly am not), there's nothing that makes Carolina's offer "clearly better."

And go ahead and keep carrying the Ford Family's water. Pissing off players for what amounts to little reason isn't good business.
                                It could have been Parsons, D Smith. Is there any confirmation that Fields would have been the Lions pick at #8?

Here's where I'm wrong in the argument. Using perfect hindsight to say the Lions end of this trade isn't as good as the Panthers offer.
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X