No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom, 2 gig isn't required, but I have read a few comments where folks said things were slow below that point.
    #birdsarentreal

Comment

• Glad you're here more often Ken as you have a great viewpoint on the tech stuff. Vista is definitely bloated no question. It really is for those who thought Windows was just too damn hard to use.

edit: Jeez Deborah get some friggin sleep!

Comment

• Originally posted by manwhohasstronggrip View Post
        yes it has 64 bit flavor and will be the only flavor shortly. MS plans to end 32 bit quickly to force the new CPU's with the OS.

Hopefully it works, we were doing benchmark testing on their previous 64 bit OSs and they failed miserably on things that actually needed the 64 bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          Hopefully it works, we were doing benchmark testing on their previous 64 bit OSs and they failed miserably on things that actually needed the 64 bit.
          This I can say I haven't tested or used yet.

We also tried XP 64 and well we put XP Pro 32 back on because it was pointless.

Server 2003 64 R2 is solid.
          Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• Not to mention a severe lack of driver support for 64-bit XP.

Comment

• One of the big things we were looking for is the memory boost. With XP you could only finagle the OS to use 3 gig for a part file and that wasn't enough. When they benchmarked the 64 bit OS, the memory problem went away but the OS was too unstable.

We have 1000 Unix clients that were supposed to be scrapped a while ago, but they get the job done that Windows can't for those users.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timmy View Post
                Glad you're here more often Ken as you have a great viewpoint on the tech stuff. Vista is definitely bloated no question. It really is for those who thought Windows was just too damn hard to use.

Thanks Timmy, I think I am just too bored with Lions football now and am looking for something else.

Me thinks the "OT's" threads will be more active this offseason.
                Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• I think we'll see a re-hash of the Joey sucks/blows routine. You just can't get enough of that!

Comment

• Originally posted by unknown lions fan View Post
                    You mean DVD coop, or Mini-DV tapes?

I have Mini-DV tapes, but they're a bit of a pain to transfer and edit because I have to transfer at 1x.
                    ULF - Mini-dv. I should have clarified. I have a Panasonic PV-GS250 and it uses Firewire for transfer. I'm capturing with Pinnacle studio.
                    Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Right - so you have to transfer at playback speed, right? That's what I find to be the biggest pain. I have a bunch of recorded DV tapes that I haven't transferred over.

I figure I'm going to switch over to either mini-dvd, or perhaps an internal hard drive unit.

The mini-dvd's would be nice 'cause you can stack them up and transfer later, ripping them at 8-16x would be fast. The hard drive units would be OK, in that I'm sure they transfer fast - however, you'd have to do it regularly when the HD is full, rather than just letting the DVD's stack up until you have the time to do it.

BTW, Firewire is slower than USB2.0, I recently learned.
                      The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• The spec is slower but I find that firewire uses a fraction of the CPU when transferring whereas USB sucks it dry. You're limited to the rotational speed of the drives on both ends so hitting the top end isn't likely to happen.

/nerd

Comment

lol, I'm usually up by 4:30. I had plenty of sleep.
                          #birdsarentreal

Comment

The spec is slower but I find that firewire uses a fraction of the CPU when transferring whereas USB sucks it dry. You're limited to the rotational speed of the drives on both ends so hitting the top end isn't likely to happen.

/nerd
                            he is very correct firewire has less impact to your system and it is faster transfers overall. We do a lot of firewire backups for small networks and we have replaced all USB externals due to performance issues. Plus you don't have to fight the bios for booting to usb.
                            Brand New Detroit Lions

Comment

• the mini dv capture is fairly painless - once started I can pretty much walk away and come back when it's done.....
                              Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Get Windows Vista Ultimate FULL (not upgrade) for $199. Only "catch" is that it's the OEM edition. This means:

1) OEM (Original Equipment manufacturer) versions are meant to be sold preinstalled on new PCs, but they are also popular with enthusiasts for obvious reasons.

2) OEM versions are usually significantly cheaper than retail versions. You generally can't buy OEM versions at big retail stores.

3) OEM versions can only be used for a clean installs, retail versions can be used for clean installs and upgrades.

4) OEM versions are meant to be permanently tied to the first PC they are installed on. Retail versions can be installed many times on different PCs, but only one at a time.

5) OEM versions don't have any fancy packaging, retail versions come in a fancy package.

6) OEM versions are either 32-bit or 64-bit exclusively, retail versions have both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista included in the one package.

7) OEM versions are supported by the OEM (i.e., you, if you bought and instaled an OEM version yourself or the place you bought your computer from if it was pre-installed). Retail versions are suported directly by MS via phone support etc.

For me, none of these things matters, but I understand it's not for everyone. I was going to get the upgrade version of Vista Ultimate for $250 from Amazon...so I'm trading that for the full version for less money...good deal.

Here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116213
                                #birdsarentreal

Comment

Working...
                                X