Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coop View Post

The MAC TV advertising was/is in very poor taste
    strike a little too close to home, Coop?:-)
    "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

not really Mason - I laugh at it. But Apple won't gain marketshare with those tactics.............

You're a MAC user I take it?
      Got Kneecaps?

Comment

Nope. Ain't had an apple since the apple 2+ I grew up with, but I do have an appreciation for the machines they put out. I'm not a zealot for either side.

While I agree the commercials were poorly executed (I think it started ok, but over time got kind of "preachy"), what exactly did you think was in poor taste?
        "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

It's the whole "Macs are cool" versus "PC's are geeky" (which extends to Mac users are cool while PC users are not) and the silly idea that you can do more with a Mac than a PC. This is simply NOT true.
          Got Kneecaps?

Comment

When I see the commercials, I get the message that Mac's are for people who don't know much about computers.
            The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

good point ULF - although in their defense - there are alot of smart MAC users out there.
              Got Kneecaps?

Comment

You do realize that commercials are put on the air to SELL product ... not enlighten the public.
                Forever One!

Comment

I get the same feelings about the mac v pc com. they are really aiming at the new users in the market. Using scare type tactics to say that if you get a pc you will have nothing but trouble.

I like Macs but use PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Coop View Post
                    It's the whole "Macs are cool" versus "PC's are geeky" (which extends to Mac users are cool while PC users are not) and the silly idea that you can do more with a Mac than a PC. This is simply NOT true.
                    I don't think the message was that "you can do more with a Mac", but more that "it's easier to do things with a Mac". Silly, maybe. Untrue, maybe. But I still don't see what was in bad taste.

Comment

• Originally posted by Masspartan View Post
                      You do realize that commercials are put on the air to SELL product ... not enlighten the public.
                      That's kind of what I meant by my statement. They're trying to sell the Mac to technophobes and neophytes with this advertising approach - and it may be successful in that endeavor.

Coming off as snobbish to PC users doesn't matter - those who are proficient with a PC see the Mac as an inferior product anyway. ;)
                      The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

• Interesting. I'm kind of surprised about the negative opinions of the commercial. I've always found them amusing. The message I get is a people might be surprised to find that a Mac can do most anything a PC can do and is superior with graphics/art type stuff. I've never used a Mac but I know they are loved by their users. I've never been turned off in the least by the commercials.
                        "And I'm a million different people from one day to the next..."

Comment

• Feel the same as Rom.
                          ------------
                          <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• If I could finds components (motherboards, graphics cards, CPU's, cases, etc.) for a Mac I would probably build one and see how I like it....I love the open competitive market of the PC's. And I have to agree with Rommy. It isn't an attempt to reshape society...they just want to sell PC's. Humor attracts attention.

Comment

• I have never liked the 180 Apple took when they created the Mac series as a closed box system. Apple (Woszniak and Jobs) created the personal computer hobbyist. I owned an Apple II, but I had a friend who owned the Franklin Ace. It was that lawsuit that made Apple decide to go closed box with the Mac. The worst mistake they ever made. The IBM PC was a crap computer compared to the Apples, but because IBM opened the box to third party developers, it became cheaper and far, far more versatile. Eventually, competition actually took PCs beyond Macs in capabilities. Apple still doesn't get it, which is why, except for the occasional blip such as when the iMac was introduced, Apple will never have a large share of the market. The commercials literally gloss over the deficiencies of the Mac under the guise of "ease of use." It didn't help when they first tried that strategy back in the 80s... it won't work now.

Comment

• Originally posted by romster View Post
                                and is superior with graphics/art type stuff.
                                they USED to be

now it's all about the "cool" factor
                                Got Kneecaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X