No announcement yet.

OT: Technology and Geek Stuff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What they lost in graphics superiority they more than gained back with a *nix kernel and accessible command prompt. I'd use a mac if there was any marketshare for my software on a mac - there just isn't any to speak of. I actually have more demand for linux software than mac.
    Suspicion breeds trust.

Comment

• I think for publishing applications they still beat the pants off of Windows machines. For normal use, there's not much of a difference.

For me its amusing, my PC is 6-7 years old and I haven't had a problem, although IE is corrupt and there's no good way to fix it. I'm not likely to buy either new, I'm just want to get a spare PC going to get Solaris 10 running.

Comment

• Picking Solaris for any reason other than novelty? I'd think one of the linux distributions would be just as easy to install, have similar capabilities, and better hardware support.
        Suspicion breeds trust.

Comment

• No, not a novelty, I support solaris severs and I need to start studying for the certification exam. 10 is a departure from the other versions.

Comment

• For me its amusing, my PC is 6-7 years old and I haven't had a problem, although IE is corrupt and there's no good way to fix it.
            I reloaded XP on my computer and that fixed my corrupted IE. It cleared up a bunch of stuff.
            ------------
            <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• I probably should do it, but I've limped along for about 4 years with this corrupted IE.

Comment

• It's really easy. Just save your email addressees and other important stuff.
                ------------
                <<< Jana Cova ...again (8 <<<

Comment

• Originally posted by mason reese View Post
                  do you think the elimination of distribution costs affects how much the artists makes for each copy of work that is sold?
                  Not at all. In fact, I have no idea how much an Artist makes on every copy that is sold. However, If they make less than a buck per copy, there must be an awful lot of garbage rap CD's sold to make the ghetto rats millionaires.
                  I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• the whole issue of the cost of cd's and music in general could occupy it's own thread - that said, as ULF observed earlier, the cost should come down with the advancement of technology and has not. There is no explanation but greed.
                    Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• anybody know anything about digital picture frames?
                      Forever One!

Comment

• There is no explanation but greed.
                        Or maybe that is what the market will bear. Follow the lead of those that think Ford will put a good product on the field if people quit paying for it...... Stop paying for the music. Less demand=lower prices......;)
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by CGVT View Post
                          Or maybe that is what the market will bear.
                          well - I myself become extremely selective over what I will or won't buy - and for those who want it free, file sharing remains an avenue to obtain whatever you want.
                          Got Kneecaps?

Comment

• Does anyone know anything about camcorders? I'm thinking of buying my parents one for Christmas but I'm not sure if I should get the DVD kind or the other one. The DVD one seems simple in that once they record something they can just pop it into the DVD player and watch it. My parents need something simple because they don't really seem to like new technology. They barely touch the computer and my mom still has never used a dishwasher.

Does anyone have any advice?

Comment

• My father has the DVD camera and he seems to like it. He is the same way as your parents. I think he has a Sony.

Digital picture frames are nice as well. I am looking into one for my dad. Last time I looked they were really expensive. Also don't get one with a online service. That is a rip off. Futhermore you should see what kind of cards they take. If he has a digital camera using the same card would be a plus.

Comment

• I really lean toward the DVD models as well.

The media can be played in a standard DVD player, so if they do nothing more than record one and pop in another one, they'll have something viewable. With a mini-tape unit, they'd have to play back by hooking up their cam to the TV.

More advanced users are going to want to edit their stuff and burn it to full-size DVDs. Here again, the DVD models are better than tape because a faster ripping DVD drive can get the content onto the PC faster. With a tape, you'll have to move it over at playback speed.

The new models with the built-in hard drives are nice, but not especially friendly to the non-technical.
                                The only thing missing from that Marvin Jones touchdown reversal is that it wasn't a first round playoff game.

Comment

Working...
                                X