Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by El Axe View Post
    Besides, I think Badgely is already a rollercoaster. I hold my breath on every FG & extra point.
    That may say more about you. Over the last two years he’s made 28-32 FGs and 48-50 xp.

The point is that even if you decide that the rookie wins the battle out of camp, you better be prepared for what could be some wild up and downs. Look at what GB went through with their rookie last year. Doesn’t mean they aren’t good kickers or going to be good. But when you are playing for a division title and want to contend for a Super Bowl, are you going to be patient if the rook misses two FGs and a XP in week 2?

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

It depends right now they have a ton of cap room (I think OTC has them at like 70 million after Walker cut). I think we will see a Goff extension before FA.

I think Fuller will be the choice at CB. He won't get top top money and I don't think he is seeing a 5 year deal.

Zietler is interesting because his market might be limited due to his age (36). And he might be interested in Detroit for a possible SB run. Then the IOL drafts doesn't have to start from Day 1. If Ragnow retires after next year you have your Guards set and that would ease the transition for a younger center.
      Fuller's last contract was $10M/year average. Spotrac has his market value pegged at 3 years/$42M. That might be a bit high, but i think expecting $5M/year is looking at it with some extreme kook-aid glasses.

And Zeitler's not the expensive guard, Jackson is. Zeitler will get a 1 year deal or a 2 year with 2nd year voidable or something. Jackson maybe not be $10M/year contract guy, but he’s not going to be cheap.
      Last edited by Mainevent; February 23, 2024, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

How did they lose in OT?
        I don’t think that’s the reason they lost but I’ll play along.

What if they went for it on fourth down and didn’t get the yards? You are just assuming they would be successful. Sort of like how you call out people who say “take the points” as if the FG try won’t be successful.
        3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
        10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post

Fuller's last contract was $10M/year average. Spotrac has his market value pegged at 3 years/$42M. That might be a bit high, but i think expecting $5M/year is looking at it with some extreme kook-aid glasses.

And Zeitler's not the expensive guard, Jackson is. Zeitler will get a 1 year deal or a 2 year with 2nd year voidable or something. Jackson maybe not be $10M/year contract guy, but he’s not going to be cheap.
          Now is that the Spotrac contract value or what they think his cap number would be those could be two different things. 42/3 with 80% guaranteed(assuming it is flat number of course) would get you at 11.2 per cap number. I would probably go at 75% and have the number at 10.5 number which would be right in line with his value.
          2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

In the sims I have done I have been Jackson at 34/4 which is probably around his value.
            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• You can always manipulate a single year but it just passes the buck to a later year. Fuller’s cap hit on his 4 year/$40M last contract was $13M, $11M and $11.6M the last three years. You’re not likely to get him for less than that type of deal, and potentially closer to the $14m average of the Spottrac estimate.

Jackson for 4/$34 is about the range I was thinking as well. That’s not cheap for a guard especially when you are paying others on your OL big money. Not saying they won’t do it, just would be surprised if they did that and signed big money guys elsewhere. It’s 50/50 call at that price, IMO.
              Last edited by Mainevent; February 23, 2024, 04:34 PM.

Comment

You can always manipulate a single year but it just passes the buck to a later year. Fuller’s cap hit on his 4 year/$40M last contract was $13M, $11M and $11.6M the last three years. You’re not likely to get him for less than that type of deal, and potentially closer to the $14m average of the Spottrac estimate.

Jackson for 4/$34 is about the range I was thinking as well. That’s not cheap for a guard especially when you are paying others on your OL big money. Not saying they won’t do it, just would be surprised if they did that and signed big money guys elsewhere. It’s 50/50 call at that price, IMO.
                It's not cheap BUT it does mean that you aren't looking for two guards in FA/Draft that have to start Day 1..
                Last edited by Whitley; February 23, 2024, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Let me put it another way - I don't think the Lions will do this:

Jackson 4/$34M
                  Fuller 4/$50M
                  Greenard 4/$50M

Those are ballpark numbers, but don't think they are far off from reality. If anything they are probably on the low side. Just don't see that happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

It's not cheap BUT it does mean that you aren't looking for two guards in FA/Draft that have to start Day 1..
                    I think Glasgow is coming back regardless of what they do with Jackson. Too valuable with his ability to play OC.

Comment

That may say more about you. Over the last two years he’s made 28-32 FGs and 48-50 xp.

The point is that even if you decide that the rookie wins the battle out of camp, you better be prepared for what could be some wild up and downs. Look at what GB went through with their rookie last year. Doesn’t mean they aren’t good kickers or going to be good. But when you are playing for a division title and want to contend for a Super Bowl, are you going to be patient if the rook misses two FGs and a XP in week 2?
                      Okay, bottom line -- do you think Badgely is an above average NFL kicker?

Comment

I was just thinking about who the Lions should bring in as a QB3 and saw this article. Pretty much what I was thinking:

Hopefully we never find out.

So while re-signing Nate Sudfeld won’t move the needle for most—and it would be very bad news if he ever makes it on the field—
                        "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Okay, bottom line -- do you think Badgely is an above average NFL kicker?
                          I think Badgely is a perfectly average NFL kicker, and is more than good enough for what Campbell wants to use him for.

I disagree with their seeming lack of interest in seriously upgrading the position, but if my biggest disagreement with a front office is their decisions at place kicker, then I think they are doing all right.

Comment

• Originally posted by edindetroit View Post

Hopefully we never find out.
                            I don't think we bring in a QB3. Seems like a waste of spot. If Goff goes down, then bring ina QB3. I don't think off the couch backup level backup is going to do worse than a Nate with history with the team and either way we aren't recreating the Browns season if we lose our QB1 and QB2.

If you do go with a QB3, you bring in a Hoyer or Colt McCoy type to work with Hooker. Not a terrible player who should never see the field. But Hooker is working with Teddy this off season and I trust Brunell as a QB coach. We ride with two this season.
                            AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

I think Badgely is a perfectly average NFL kicker, and is more than good enough for what Campbell wants to use him for.

I disagree with their seeming lack of interest in seriously upgrading the position, but if my biggest disagreement with a front office is their decisions at place kicker, then I think they are doing all right.
                              It should be pretty obvious by this point that they have pretty strict guidelines of what they are going to ask of a kicker and are trying to not over extend themselves in a position they are purposely under utilizing. Would I like them to try a kick on 4-4 on the 40? Sure would I rather they had a kicker the could try instead of punting at 4-10 at the 45? If the game was on the line absolutely.

​​​​​​But I think it's clear all they really want is someone that's 95% or better under 40 and with XPs. They will live and die by their 4 down policy between the 40s.
                              AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• I think Lions fans were so spoiled by the Murray, Hanson, Prater years that they don't understand this is what normally happens with kickers until you find one. You muddle around in a gong show environment until you find one. And then when you find one, you keep him. If you look at the top 10 kickers the majority are drafted in the later rounds but there are some undrafted free agents. Some of the drafted guys are not with their original team.

It's not like other positions, even if you wanted to spend money or a decent draft pick you might not get someone any better than Badgley. Cody Russell was big on drafting Cade York, he is a free agent after flaming out on two teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X