Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    That was well over 30 years ago, the current squad was third in the league in attendance. The Red Wings have done fine in attendance and they have had little chance at winning a tie the last 5 years. They draw fans leriod, even whe. They are scrambling to get the 8th seed.
    Yeah, because they were buying into the narrative of "the streak" and "anything can happen in the playoffs!"

Now that streak is gone. Maybe they can get a little more mileage out of "see your childhood heroes for the last time" as the old guard limps into retirement, but if you think a garbage Wings team is going to hold interest for terribly long... I just don't know what's wrong with you.

Comment

• Yeah that was the reason, haha.

Comment

• Yes, the undefined mystique of the Red Wings was what bought tickets.

That's just SO much more of a logical explanation.

Comment

• If missing the playoffs and losing the streak would take them from 3rd in the league in attendance to the Pistons level (25th) then you are making Ken Holland's case for doing everything possible to continue the streak.
          Last edited by froot loops; June 19, 2017, 08:09 PM.

Comment

If missing the playoffs and losing the streak would take them from 3rd in the league in attendance to the Pistons level (25th) then you are making Ken Holland's case for doing everything possible to continue the streak.
            I dunno if they'll drop off THAT far that quickly, but the fact DOES remain that Detroit HAS turned their backs on the Wings before during a stretch of extremely putrid play (that such a stretch happened 30 years ago is a remarkable feat that they remained as relevant as they did). The issue with Holland extending the streak by any means necessary was that it only delayed the inevitable and made the lean years potentially harder than they needed to be, especially when he insists on clinging to those aging, underperforming veterans even now.

Comment

• They won't drop off in attendance, the fanbase wants what you want, it's been obvious for 4 to 5 years. If you sell them on a rebuilding effort, it is the easiest sell in the NHL. They are not like the Piston fans, it's not the same.

The dead things era was as much an indictment on an absentee owner who didn't care

Comment

• Man you guys are going to town on posts for two Detroit teams that don't have much of a successful short term future. Its like watching monkeys hurl shit at each other.
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

The dead things era was as much an indictment on an absentee owner who didn't care
                    This!

While, yes, there is likely to be a slight drop in attendance, the Wings will continue to be a strong draw for a couple of years no matter where they end up in the standings for these reasons.

1. New Venue. The first year attendance alone can be credited to a new building, not the product on the ice.

2. The area is a hotbed for amature hockey and when the Wings start putting together marketing specials for unsold seats, they will get snapped up in a heartbeat.

I would think however, if the Wings only make the playoffs once in the next 3 or 4 years, you will see a dramatic drop off in attendance when the new building starts its 4th season.

Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                    Man you guys are going to town on posts for two Detroit teams that don't have much of a successful short term future. Its like watching monkeys hurl shit at each other.
                    Hmmmmmm.

I guess you have to live in Africa to be familiar with that kind of analogy. I was visualizing hurling mac and cheese, myself.
                    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• The Red Wings could probably turn it around fairly quickly but they desperately need some fresh blood making the decisions, Holland is well past his expiration date. It's well past time to try different things.

Comment

The Red Wings could probably turn it around fairly quickly but they desperately need some fresh blood making the decisions, Holland is well past his expiration date. It's well past time to try different things.
                        It is sad to say but if you look around the league, Stevie would have been the perfect answer.

Comment

• Perhaps, but I kind of think the focus on Steve Yzerman coming home is reminiscent of how Piston fans fixated on Isiah Thomas becoming GM of the Pistons. It was Isiah or bust. I'm not saying it he would be a disaster level GM like Isiah turned out to be, but I find the focus on this to be a little myopic.

The Wings had a great run but their whole approach and success was based on competitive advantages that are no longer there. There is a salary cap and the Cold War ended nearly 30 years ago.

I would gladly take Steve Yzerman as a GM but it doesn't have to be him.

Comment

Perhaps, but I kind of think the focus on Steve Yzerman coming home is reminiscent of how Piston fans fixated on Isiah Thomas becoming GM of the Pistons. It was Isiah or bust. I'm not saying it he would be a disaster level GM like Isiah turned out to be, but I find the focus on this to be a little myopic.

The Wings had a great run but their whole approach and success was based on competitive advantages that are no longer there. There is a salary cap and the Cold War ended nearly 30 years ago.

I would gladly take Steve Yzerman as a GM but it doesn't have to be him.
                            Stevie knows talent. He was a wonderful GM for both of the Canadian Olympic Teams he put together and he does pretty good where he is at. If he had replaced Holland a couple of years ago, with Kenny being given an honorary post in the decision making process, this team would already be back on the uptick after losing Lidstrom.

Comment

• Maybe, I know his resume, my point still stands. It doesn't have to be Yzerman.

Comment

Maybe, I know his resume, my point still stands. It doesn't have to be Yzerman.
                                No, but one thing we all agree on. It shouldn't be Holland.

Comment

Working...
                                X