No announcement yet.

U of M thread (in the Lions Forum) :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't like going for the punt either. Much more room for error. One guy has to long-snap under pressure, another guy has to catch it cleanly, drop the ball toward his foot and kick. Snap it, run 3-4 steps and fall down. They were at the MSU 47 yd. line. Harbaugh probably didn't want to give Cook a chance to heave one into the end zone.
    Last edited by Rocky Bleier; October 18, 2015, 08:59 AM.
    I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
      I didn't like going for the punt either. Much more room for error. One guy has to long-snap under pressure, another guy has to catch it cleanly, drop the ball toward his foot and kick. Snap it, run 3-4 steps and fall down. They were at the MSU 47 yd. line. Was Harbaugh afraid of another Stewart to Westbrook type of Hail Mary?
      I would have accepted the Hail Mary win better.

I don't have a problem when the game is won. I have a problem when the game is given away.

Let me be clear here. I am not suggesting I have an ounce of Harbaughs coaching ability.

I am saying I was totally surprised that he did this given the clock.

My school of thought is at that point in the game, you try to end it and run out the clock, not play like it is the end of a quarter.
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Yeah it seems a simple decision now...but if they run and are stopped...then lose on hail Mary people would say why not punt it out of bounds down field and then they have to go a lot further on that one play...

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Punt game had been fine so I can see the choice...sure would like a mulligans though...

Comment

• But I will say that attacking them with run would have been a solid choice as well

Comment

• If Michigan was running the ball well, maybe.
              33 carries for 62 yards indicates Michigan would be stopped, then a Hail Mary would follow.
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• The other element is the fact that he's doing that rugby style kick and was trying to move before he even received the ball to get it off quick.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredsue View Post
                  Yeah it seems a simple decision now...but if they run and are stopped...then lose on hail Mary people would say why not punt it out of bounds down field and then they have to go a lot further on that one play...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
                  Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                    If Michigan was running the ball well, maybe.
                    33 carries for 62 yards indicates Michigan would be stopped, then a Hail Mary would follow.
                    Fumbling the snap (and it was a low snap) is something that you just do not consider when making this decision. I understand that.

I am just saying I thought they were far enough out of scoring position with enough time for only one play that I would have wanted to try to move the chains given the short situation.

Get lucky and move the chains, Game over. Get stuffed then now they have to win the game. I had confidence my D would not let that happen with one play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
                      Fumbling the snap (and it was a low snap) is something that you just do not consider when making this decision. I understand that.

I am just saying I thought they were far enough out of scoring position with enough time for only one play that I would have wanted to try to move the chains given the short situation.

Get lucky and move the chains, Game over. Get stuffed then now they have to win the game. I had confidence my D would not let that happen with one play.
                      Considering that the Spartans had already burned U-M on a deep ball that very quarter?

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                        Considering that the Spartans had already burned U-M on a deep ball that very quarter?
                        Yup.

Does not mean they can do it again.

Oh, wait!

The punter had an 80 yard punt so I guess I should have expected that to happen again, right?

Comment

• I do think the Spartans played that block as good as it could be played. If he doesn't drop the snap he probably gets the punt off but I'm not certain on it. The Wolverines did not block that well.

Comment

• The announcers said there were no return men waiting for the punt, they were coming hard after the punt, period.
                            19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• I think we've got a lot of people unnecessarily second guessing what amounted to a blind, dumb-luck fluke.
                              Last edited by DanO; October 18, 2015, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• Pressuring the punter with all hands on deck is strategic and it apparently worked to plan no matter how low the percentages.

That's a 3rd party opinion that has no skin in the game, at all.

Calling it luck or a fluke ignores the reality of the chess match.
                                19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

Working...
                                X