Family Book...Forum Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dwt1 View Post
    I turned 50 last August - I got fed up with my government telling me I wasn't paying my fair share when the government was making (over 5 times as much) more from my work than I was. So I shut my business down, sold off the assets and I'll spend the rest of my life living off the proceeds. The government won't make a dime off of my work ever again.
    Don't blame you.

Welcome to the world of the self employed.
    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Good for you Dwt. Wish I could do that same. Maybe we can all work to support SLF. He is in heaven right now.

So Dwt, your gonna just travel around the globe now? What are you gonna do for school when your daughter gets that age? What business were you in?

Ohh, and yes I am talking about that batch. Same batch that lasted 7-8 years longer then greise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdoggie View Post

Ohh, and yes I am talking about that batch. Same batch that lasted 7-8 years longer then greise.
        That's going to hurt.

Any SB rings?;-)
        I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
          Of course it was the government that paid you in the first place.
          actually it wasn't - but you keep repeating that lie. BTW, why must you lie?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
            I'm curious, what was the breakdown that got you to that?
            quite simple, I payed my self between $225K to $250K each year. I had 18 employees, all but one making over 6 figures, so if you include all the income taxes my empoyees paid by working for my business, all the PAYROLL taxes I paid and my employees paid by working for my business, the taxes my business paid and I paid on my income - almost $1.5M every year went to the government based on my working to keep my business running.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdoggie View Post
              Good for you Dwt. Wish I could do that same. Maybe we can all work to support SLF. He is in heaven right now.

So Dwt, your gonna just travel around the globe now? What are you gonna do for school when your daughter gets that age? What business were you in?
              That's the plan. We'll home school plus what better education can she recieve than learning about the world. Right now we have a German nanny who speaks to her only in German, she'll be fluent in a couple years. Then we'll move on to asia and she'll have someone to teach her another language - not sure which one yet.

Actually it was only 4 years, Griese retired in 2008, Batch 2012 - and from 2003 to 2012 (after he left Detroit) Batch played in 34 games starting 9 of them. In that same period Griese played in 40 games starting 32 of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by dwt1 View Post
                That's the plan. We'll home school plus what better education can she recieve than learning about the world. Right now we have a German nanny who speaks to her only in German, she'll be fluent in a couple years. Then we'll move on to asia and she'll have someone to teach her another language - not sure which one yet.
                If you're looking at it from a "what will be the most useful" standpoint, Chinese probably comes out on top. From what I hear, the sentence structure is more similar to English than Japanese or Korean. I was thinking Hindi would be a good language to learn as well.
                2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• There are several dialects of Chinese however.
                  GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Mandarin and Cantonese are the two main dialects. Mainland China & Taiwan use Mandarin, so that's probably the way to go.

Comment

• I'm not fucking up this thread with anymore stupid bickering fellas.
                      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• quite simple, I payed my self between $225K to $250K each year. I had 18 employees, all but one making over 6 figures, so if you include all the income taxes my empoyees paid by working for my business, all the PAYROLL taxes I paid and my employees paid by working for my business, the taxes my business paid and I paid on my income - almost $1.5M every year went to the government based on my working to keep my business running.
                        So you included yourself and the business as one entity. Beyond your own salary did you gain from your ownership in the business as, I assume you were its sole share holder, or was its only purpose to provide you and your workers with a salary?
                        Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                          So you included yourself and the business as one entity. Beyond your own salary did you gain from your ownership in the business as, I assume you were its sole share holder, or was its only purpose to provide you and your workers with a salary?
                          Again, go back to what I said

" I got fed up with my government telling me I wasn't paying my fair share when the government was making (over 5 times as much) more from my work than I was."

My work was keeping that business running, for that effort of keeping a buisness running I made ~$240K/year and the government got $1.50M and were telling I wasn't paying my fair share. When I quit the business, it stopped operating - it no longer exists in any way shape or form.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
                            If you're looking at it from a "what will be the most useful" standpoint, Chinese probably comes out on top. From what I hear, the sentence structure is more similar to English than Japanese or Korean. I was thinking Hindi would be a good language to learn as well.
                            I'm considering that, but if you you can't discount that Vietnam is an up and coming country - a lot of industry is moving there. Learning Vietnamese now could pay off 20-30 years from now.

Comment

• Very true. My school is starting up a Japanese language program, and the first students are all coming from Vietnam. I know some Japanese companies are wanting to shift away from China after the recent incidents.

Comment

• "Mandarin and Cantonese are the two main dialects. Mainland China & Taiwan use Mandarin, so that's probably the way to go."
                                ---------------------thanks LFIJ. I worked with a Chinese woman at the wtp. For a short time, maybe a year, we had a Chinese male working there. They were both immigrants and not children of immigrants so their main language was Chinese. They were of different dialects though so they couldn't speak to each other in "Chinese".
                                GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

Working...
                                X