No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At 6 p.m. Friday, as traffic begins to back up from the Mackinac Bridge to the Detroit riverfront and 99 percent of America embarks on the extended holiday weekend

As free agency looms, Pistons poised to go any number of ways

Keith Langlois@keith_langlois
    Web Editor
    June 29, 20239:41 AM EDT

At 6 p.m. Friday, as traffic begins to back up from the Mackinac Bridge to the Detroit riverfront and 99 percent of America embarks on the extended holiday weekend, NBA front offices will be ordering pizzas and making sure the coffeepot is up and running.

That’s the opening of free agency and the Pistons – armed with more cap space than all but four of the NBA’s 29 other franchises – could be one of the teams at the forefront of activity.

But there is sometimes an ocean between “could” and “will” and it’s anybody’s guess which direction the Pistons will go and what pace they’ll set when the race goes off Friday.

Did Troy Weaver give any clues last week when the Pistons general manager seemed to tamp down expectations he’d be shopping from the top shelf? Or was he throwing head fakes at the competition?

“We want to see Coach (Monty Williams) coach this team and really get a feel for those guys,” Weaver said, referencing all the young players he’s drafted and otherwise acquired in three years since becoming Pistons general manager. “How we fill out the rest of it in free agency, whatnot, is not pressing right now. Because I think you can add and subtract from some of these young guys growing into becoming who they are. So we’re going to be careful with that before we bring in guys that can kind of deter us from really finding out who these guys are.”

You can parse that to glean what you want, but I’m inclined to take Weaver at face value because he doesn’t have a history of double talk. And at face value, his words certainly seem to indicate the Pistons are more inclined to work at the fringes of free agency rather than jumping in with both feet.

They’ll have something like $28 million in cap space after accounting for the first-round guaranteed slots for first-rounders Ausar Thompson and Marcus Sasser.

The trade to get back into the first round to assure the Pistons they’d come out of the night with Sasser shaved about $2 million off what they could have had in cap space, one indication they aren’t fixated on creating as much room as possible to pursue top-tier free agents. There seemed a reasonable chance the Pistons could have stayed at 31 and landed him, but they were so intent on getting Sasser they gave up not just two future second-rounders but ceded $2 million in cap space. (Sasser’s rookie contract wouldn’t have been included on their cap sheet as a second-rounder, if the Pistons chose to sequence their deals a certain way, to allow for maximum room.) That’s a pretty good indication that creating maximum space isn’t a priority this summer.

Another: They’ve reportedly exercised options on both Alec Burks and Isaiah Livers, as widely expected, when declining would have created about $12 million more in cap space for them if that was their primary motivation.

With eight first-round picks from the four drafts since Weaver took over on the roster – six of them lottery picks, four of them top-five picks – plus Livers, Burks, Bojan Bogdanovic and Marvin Bagley III, the Pistons have 12 roster spots filled, leaving only three more. Given everything Weaver has said about his desire to have strong veterans in place and the franchise’s enormous regard for Rodney McGruder, he’s a decent bet to return.

That leaves two open spots. Eugene Omoruyi could well be one of them, though it’s also possible he’ll eventually be signed to a two-way contract. NBA teams can have three next season, up from two, and the Pistons don’t have any two-way slots committed yet.

At any rate, spots are tight, Weaver is bullish on his young players and the first wave of them – Isaiah Stewart, Killian Hayes and James Wiseman – are coming up on the last year of their rookie deals with Cade Cunningham a season away from that phase.

Cap space isn’t only a concern for next season. Smart teams look at what the outlook will be two, three and four years down the line. Splurge on a premier free agent this season on a long-term deal and it runs the risk of boxing in the Pistons beyond next season.

There’s a compelling case to dabble at the fringes of free agency this season with one- or two-year deals for role players, get a better idea of what long-term needs are as the young players blossom to varying degrees in 2023-24 and then attack free agency with a little more certainty – and, likely, a stronger product to sell – a year from now.

Weaver hasn’t been one to engage in much subterfuge. He guards information as well as anyone, but hasn’t made a habit of deliberately misleading or blowing smoke. It seems appropriate to take him at his word on being cautious in free agency.

That said, don’t doubt for a second he and his team haven’t vetted every NBA roster and considered all possible additions – from each team’s free agents to the possibility that each team’s particular situation might make desirable players available via trade for a variety of reasons. Opportunities he might not have anticipated could come to him as agents reach out to teams with cap space to spark action.

Don’t read his comments on free agency and underestimate Weaver’s desire to make the Pistons competitive all 82 games next season. At the root of it, he’s a believer in the talent already on hand and its ability to achieve that end. He’s more than willing to augment the roster, but not to do anything to impede pathways to growth for the key pieces who comprise it. The right free agent at the right price, sure. Spending every cent of $28 million and committing to big deals for multiple seasons, not unless it makes sense on all levels.

So get your popcorn ready. There’s no guarantee there will be fireworks from the Pistons over the weekend, but if the conditions align just right, you never know.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• No to Harrison Barnes. Signed an extension with the Kings. 3 years/ $54M.

Herb Jones, absolutely … as a backup plan to Cameron Johnson.
      Bazley? Geez, better be cheap if so. He didn’t receive any playing time for the Suns in the playoffs.
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I like Herb Jones but he's not a good 3 point shooter and the Pistons can't afford to put money into another below average shooter.from.the arc. Same thing with Bazley.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          I like Herb Jones but he's not a good 3 point shooter and the Pistons can't afford to put money into another below average shooter.from.the arc. Same thing with Bazley.
          Bazley did shoot .377 behind the arc last year (only 1.2 tries per game tho) and his rookie was a respectable .348 ( on 2,3 tries) but yeah the other two yers he was beyond awful there.
          2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Not to forget how Darius Bazley played zero playoff minutes last season in 11 games for the Suns. Anything more than a Kevin Knox-like deal (1 year/ $3M) would be a gross overpay. This would be the scenario where the Pistons strikeout on all of their top targets and give Bazley the 15th roster spot. Hopefully use the cap space for a salary dump from another team for future draft picks. A buyout being in play for this hypothetical salary dump player.

Curious if PJ Washington is a backup plan for the Pistons. He gave me poor man’s John Collins/ rich man’s Trey Lyles vibes. Absolutely no rim protection in the game I just quickly skimmed through.​ Better 3PT shooting stats than Herb Jones, but there appears to be a huge trade off when it comes to defense at the wing/ 4 position.

Eh… please Cameron Johnson.
            Last edited by Cody_Russell; June 30, 2023, 07:32 AM.
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• It's hard to envision what the Pistons are going to do because of that mismatched roster. Is this dude going to take the team into the season with 4 centers, it didn't work last year and Shaq was last dominant 20 years ago.

Comment

• Pistons trade for Joe Harris (1 year/ $20M). Future 2nd RD picks involved in the trade.

Really shitty offseason except for Monty Williams!
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• What is this guy doing? Al Avila is laughing at this shit.

Comment

• Looks like they have about 10M left for free agency? that takes out Cam Johnson, which they probably felt was a long shot anyway....Maybe he has a move lined up trading Bojan now since he has the slow white guy that can shoot the 3 in place now.

Comment

• They helpd out the Nets to be able to re-sign him and they got two second round picks. This is a repeat of last year when they helped create room for the Knicks to sign Brunson and got shitty second round picks and old players in return.

Comment

• I wish Detroit sports fans would have less patience. Sick and tired of these rebuilds. Endless excuses for incompetence. Avila just had 7 years of this. Weaver in heading into year 4.

It’s whatever. Congrats on a 25 to 35 win season. Best case scenario. Another year of irrelevant Detroit basketball to add to our lifetime.
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                          I wish Detroit sports fans would have less patience. Sick and tired of these rebuilds. Endless excuses for incompetence. Avila just had 7 years of this. Weaver in heading into year 4.

It’s whatever. Congrats on a 25 to 35 win season. Best case scenario. Another year of irrelevant Detroit basketball to add to our lifetime.
                          I'm at the point in which if I was still in Michigan, I'd call the talk shows and demand that Weaver get off the pot and make this team better, or that the Pistons fire him.
                          "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
                          My friend Ken L

Comment

• Millen man march part deux

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

I'm at the point in which if I was still in Michigan, I'd call the talk shows and demand that Weaver get off the pot and make this team better, or that the Pistons fire him.
                              It's astonishing the degree that the "blue collar" fans in Detroit will carry water for the billionaire owners.

Comment

• I would have just rather went after Bruce Brown.

Comment

Working...
                                X