ND @ Michigan, Saturday, October 26th, 7:30 pm, ABC/ESPN 3 Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just enjoy the game, Liney.

I've talked to our good mutual friends and the consensus among them is they feel better about the M football team after the PSU game than they did before it. That's based on a solid second half by Shea Patterson and an offense that had rhythm and flow to it. There's still the QB indecision, bad QB reads and dropped balls, missed blocks and so forth but there appears to be an identity emerging on offense that isn't the train wreck that it's been v. Army, Wisconsin and Iowa. Josh Gattis is gaining some cred.

Brown will continue to do his thing. It's risky, no doubt. Players have to execute the switches. On the big plays M gave up to PSU, they didn't and you'll see this in the various film reviews coming next week along with Brian's UFR. Some will be interested in looking at them, some will have already made up their minds and don't care to see what they will consider excuses.

Speaking of making up minds..... In 2014, a lot of folks were done with the debacle that had become the last years of LC, the RR and then the Hoke years. Estimates indicated that up to 10,000 season ticket holders were not going to renew ...... until Hackett hired Jim Harbaugh. One can argue how much money the Athletic Department actually recovered with this move but apparently it was A LOT.

There are some saying that donors and season ticket holders - the bread and butter of Michigan athletics - is again at a tipping point. A loss to either ND, MSU or osu and more likely a loss to all three is going to push a lot of people on the fence about renewing season tickets or donating money over the edge. So, there is pressure for M to continue to advance what was achieved in a loss v. PSU to a solid win over ND.

One game at a time but it's becoming more probable that Harbaugh can't afford to loose to ND then to both MSU and osu and keep his job. If you look at the 2020 schedule M opens on the road against Washington and has MSU and osu on the road. If he can't beat MSU and osu at home in 2019, is anyone going to buy tickets to see his team lose to both of them on the road in 2020 and go 8-4 or worse? The entire home season ticket package? Doubtful on both counts.

As much as observers say, and Harbaugh says himself, the team isn't paying any attention to what is said by outsiders, they are probably paying attention. My take is that Harbaugh, in particular, is hearing it because Warde Manual is probably telling him what important people are saying about the team, what level of competence and competitiveness the M teams he has coached have achieved and his future as M football's HC. Personally, I think he was a good hire to begin with and will continue to advance M football's goals ..... but not everyone who is paying seat licenses and buying season tickets shares that view from what I'm hearing.

So, ND is big. A loss is going to hurt important people's belief that Harbaugh remains the best choice for Michigan football's future. I'm just a bystander watching traffic go buy. I've already said that I'm more dispassionate, less emotional about losses. I enjoy the game in this new found detached sort of state and that's enough for me at present.
    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; October 20, 2019, 08:14 PM.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

The early line for this game was M, -7.5. When it opened for real it did that at -4 and was quickly bid down to -1.5. Per OddShark, only 38% of the betting is on M but that was up from a pitiful 22% at -4. The line is now back up to -2.5.

I don't wager but I hang around enough here to know the betting odds, when they move, are not reflective of some sort of insider knowledge about injuries or a team's mood. It's the bookies trying to make the most money for themselves from wagering. It's still fun to follow it though.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs Michigan Wolverines Odds - Saturday October 26 2019. Live betting odds and lines, betting trends, against the spread and over/under trends, injury reports and matchup stats for bettors.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Line movements are to guarantee the house makes money regardless of the games outcome. The house will make a calculated gamble with the point spread but that's extremely rare.

Comment

Line will be less than 3 with M favored.

Comment

Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
              I don't think I have ever been less interested in a Michigan vs ND game
              #metoo. Season can't end soon enough. I'm eager to see Harbaugh finally have a good offseason in terms of diagnosis and treatment, or to confirm that those December/January decisions just aren't ones he's able to make very well.

Comment

Take care, maybe see you next year :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                  There are some saying that donors and season ticket holders - the bread and butter of Michigan athletics - is again at a tipping point. A loss to either ND, MSU or osu and more likely a loss to all three is going to push a lot of people on the fence about renewing season tickets or donating money over the edge. So, there is pressure for M to continue to advance what was achieved in a loss v. PSU to a solid win over ND.

One game at a time but it's becoming more probable that Harbaugh can't afford to loose to ND then to both MSU and osu and keep his job. If you look at the 2020 schedule M opens on the road against Washington and has MSU and osu on the road. If he can't beat MSU and osu at home in 2019, is anyone going to buy tickets to see his team lose to both of them on the road in 2020 and go 8-4 or worse? The entire home season ticket package? Doubtful on both counts.

As much as observers say, and Harbaugh says himself, the team isn't paying any attention to what is said by outsiders, they are probably paying attention. My take is that Harbaugh, in particular, is hearing it because Warde Manual is probably telling him what important people are saying about the team, what level of competence and competitiveness the M teams he has coached have achieved and his future as M football's HC. Personally, I think he was a good hire to begin with and will continue to advance M football's goals ..... but not everyone who is paying seat licenses and buying season tickets shares that view from what I'm hearing.

So, ND is big. A loss is going to hurt important people's belief that Harbaugh remains the best choice for Michigan football's future. I'm just a bystander watching traffic go buy. I've already said that I'm more dispassionate, less emotional about losses. I enjoy the game in this new found detached sort of state and that's enough for me at present.

This.

Comment

I think he should get another year.

Comment

What if he doesn't get the "treatment" you think he needs.

Comment

Well, unfortunate choice of words there. I meant that I want to see if he can correctly diagnose the problems with his football team and come up with the right treatment. That's an unfortunate metaphor given that you stand ready to have a tantrum any time someone mentions a detail we all ought to be very curious about, albeit in a respectful manner that jives with culture of Michigan football. I'll do my best to use a different metaphor for the offseason changes to coaching staff and strategy, but a search of the forum reveals that this isn't the first time I've used the diagnose/treat metaphor for what's ailing the team. But as you are a careful reader and a person who has demonstrated the ability to read things, absorb the content, and move on more knowledgeable than before, I trust you already know that and are playing the fool on purpose here.

Comment

M 27 ND 20
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

You must think Notre Dame scores some garbage-time TDs.

HARBAUGH!!!!!!! 35, Red-faced cuntwaffle 17
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Patterson will lead M to a potential game winning drive but come up short, again.

Comment

Do I have to point out again they are two different teams on the road and at home? Harbaugh has been outscored 63-6 against ranked teams on the road and outscored nine ranked teams at home 52-7 in the first quarter.

Comment

Working...
                                X