No announcement yet.

DSL's Movie/TV Reviews and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think there's a sequence at all. There's the Maguire triology. Then there's the two Garfield movies and now we're in the Holland Trilogy. I believe each reboots with an origin story as 1.

I'm not exactly sure why you couldn't just James Bond this shit with one origin story, but I guess each director would rather not be bound by what's come before.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The main point of the Garfield movies was so Sony could keep the rights of Spiderman from reverting back to Marvel. There wasn't any overarching theme to it other than for Sony to stay in on the action.

The Disney Star Wars movies were similar, they didn't plan anything other than to make gobs of money and they did that. They will continue make money on that investment even though those movies have been disposable.

Comment

• STFU
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I think it would be cool if someone came out with a movie that was not:

A). A comic book superhero movie, or

B). A gigantic piece of shit.

Comment

• Those days are long gone Mike.

Comment

• Yeah, it sure seems like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                I think it would be cool if someone came out with a movie that was not:

True.

Regarding A -- the ability that so many people to tolerate being fed the same Marvel formula 2-3 times per year, year after year, amazes me
                Last edited by Hannibal; January 25, 2022, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• watched scream 14--meh

watched beatles let it be 9 hr documentry--double meh

havent seen a decent movie at a theratre since precovid

supposedly #1 movie in america 40 million sold--and there was 6 of us on a saturday afternoon in metropoliton az in that theatre

Comment

• Maybe you are just hard to please.

Comment

I think it would be cool if someone came out with a movie that was not:

When I ran movie theaters back in the 90's, I took full advantage of the free movie perk- at least once a week and there was always something worth seeing. There weren't any La-Z-Boys or gourmet charcuterie boards being served. The movie industry really screwed themselves over since then. The only place you see decent stories and quality production is in limited series on streaming and cable.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        I don't think there's a sequence at all. There's the Maguire triology. Then there's the two Garfield movies and now we're in the Holland Trilogy. I believe each reboots with an origin story as 1.

I'm not exactly sure why you couldn't just James Bond this shit with one origin story, but I guess each director would rather not be bound by what's come before.
                        The only reason to EVER retell the Peter Parker origin story or the Bruce Wayne origin story or the Clark Kent origin story ever again is if 30 years go between films. Which is highly fucking unlikely. These are like modern American folk tales at this point. Everyone knows Bruce Wayne's parents get killed in an alley after leaving a theater. Got it.

I will defend Marvel movies as a modern version of westerns. Hollywood barfed out thousands of westerns once upon a time and eventually they stopped having anything original to say. Which doesn't mean you still can't enjoy the entertainment value of a well-made one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          Everyone knows Bruce Wayne's parents get killed in an alley after leaving a theater. Got it.
                          Hey, SPOILER ALERT next time!! FUCK!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                            Episodes VII-IX are what happens when your only take on Star Wars is “The Force is Female” and your director for two out of three movies made his name writing shitty “Mystery Box” scripts. That’s how you end up with Mary Sue protagonists like Rey, a purple-haired gender studies professor as an Admiral, and plots that don’t survive two minutes of scrutiny.

Oh wait a minute. “Star Wars is for children you’re not supposed to scrutinize it.”
                            We have fought over this before but Force Awakens is better than Phantom Menace & Attack of the Clones. Period. End of story. You cannot point to a single character in Force Awakens that is as insipid or as horriblly acted as Jake Lloyd or Hayden Christiansen in those 2 movies. I know you desperately want to say Daisy Ridley but just stop. Don't embarrass yourself. Go back and watch fucking Jake Lloyd scream wahoo as he pilots through a CGI nightmare. Go watch Hayden expound on the annoying properties of sand. Go watch Natalie Portman fall head over heels for this schmuck that she first met when he was 6 years old and she was pushing 20. Go watch a CGI Yoda bounce around the room like a Superball, swinging a light saber, because George Lucas knew Gen X'ers like you would get an erection watching that shit.

Palpatine's the most powerful space wizard in the universe and his big plan to seize power is provoke a trade dispute. BEGUN THE TARIFF WARS HAVE

Comment

Hey, SPOILER ALERT next time!! FUCK!
                              Rosebud was his sled. Edward Norton IS Tyler Durden. It turns out Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

• The biggest thing missing from the movie industry today are the mid-budget flicks. That includes what once would have been a lot of action films (Those are still being made but on shoestring budgets direct to streaming and made in Bulgaria). Most things today are either summer blockbuster type stuff (which absolutely MUST do well to keep the studio afloat so there's very little appetite for risk) or indy film quirky drama kinda stuff.

The competition for your eyes is too fierce now. Not only is there a ton of original content on streaming services, it's incredibly easy to find any movie ever made somewhere on the internet. Even back in the 80's, if you had cable, you had maybe around 35 channels, so if TBS was showing something yeah you maybe will watch it. VCRs and VHS tapes were prohibitively expensive for middle-class and working class folks until near the end of the decade. A few years ago my mom and dad found in a desk the receipt for the first VCR our family ever had, a goddamn Curtis Mathes proudly made in the USA, and that sucker cost over $500! In the mid-80's! You could probably get a used Gremlin for that.
                                Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; January 25, 2022, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X