No announcement yet.

DSL's Movie/TV Reviews and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, except no wings and a swayback mule.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Gotcha. Thanks buddy.
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• When it comes to movies… You have people that prefer either “The Godfather” or “The Godfather II.” OR prefer either “Alien” or “Aliens.”

Well similar discussion, I’d consider myself more of a “Killer Crocodile 2” kind of person over “Killer Crocodile.”
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Do you prefer STFU...or STFU II?
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• "Dune: Part 1" (2021)
            A lot of thoughts. This is a film that I have been looking forward to for years because Denis Villeneuve is one of the best mainstream working directors today.
            It's really good. HIGHLY recommend to see it in theaters or on a minimum 65in TV with the sound blasting. A small screen viewing would ruin it. This film should be on HBO Max at some point, if not already.

It's probably an 8/10 or 9/10 rating to me.

Getting a little into the spoilers and pros/cons:

SPOILER

Didn't quite live up to my "next Lord of the Rings" expectations, but still a fantastic theater experience.
            If WarnerBros doesn't green light Dune: Part 2, that will suck. Part 1 wasn't told as a complete story. Pivotal for Part 2 to be made.

Pros:
            - Incredible from a technical standpoint. The cinematography and Hans Zimmer score ... Incredible world building. The size and scope of this film certainly seems bigger than the 80s Dune film.
            - Acting was excellent across the board. The strong cast and direction helps.
            - For a complicated plot, it was told pretty well.

Cons:
            - Dialogue was kind of hard to understand at times. I might have to re-watch with subtitles at some point.
            - Character depth was a little shallow. I didn't feel a strong enough emotional connection to the main characters. I think Dune would be better suited as an 8 hour TV Series so that the characters could be better fleshed out. Instead, we are going to (HOPEFULLY) have 5 hours of film if Part 2 happens.
            Would love it if there is a directors cut because the characters need another 30 minutes of screen time for fleshing out.
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I have never seen the 80's David Lynch version. Is it worth checking that out first?

Comment

• You have never watched Dune? I’m kinda shocked at that.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I saw James Bond (No Time To Die) tonight. SPOILER He actually DID find the time

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                    You have never watched Dune? I’m kinda shocked at that.
                    Don't know why exactly. Maybe because of its length and my impression it has 100 characters that'll be hard to keep track of.

Where would you rank No Time to Die among the Daniel Craig films? May go see it Sunday.

Comment

• The new Edgar Wright movie looks promising BTW. There was a trailer for that prior to Dune.

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                      I have never seen the 80's David Lynch version. Is it worth checking that out first?
                      I would say no.
                      David Lynch actually doesn't like his own "Dune" movie. I'll try to re-watch the David Lynch version in a few years after seeing "Dune: Part 2" ... assuming that comes out in the future. Hopefully... fingers crossed this does good enough with viewership and the box office.
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                        I have never seen the 80's David Lynch version. Is it worth checking that out first?
                        Yes. It's actually good but also very cringey in places. But the cringe is moderately entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Don't know why exactly. Maybe because of its length and my impression it has 100 characters that'll be hard to keep track of.

Where would you rank No Time to Die among the Daniel Craig films? May go see it Sunday.
                          SPOILERIt was good. A bit silly in parts. Lots of action. Nanotech smart bomb of mass destruction was kinda too much, but fitting with previous Bond films. It was in many ways an homage to its Bond ancestors . From the island lair, to the suits the minions wore, to one part where Craig takes a pistol and shoots someone in the tunnel he was in, with the way he shot, was an obvious copy of Bond openings where a Bond turns and shoots in a spiral.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                            The new Edgar Wright movie looks promising BTW. There was a trailer for that prior to Dune.
                            I saw the trailer for that months ago and yes, been anticipating it. This is kind of a crazy good month with Bond, Dune, Soho, and the new Wes Anderson flick (I know Wes Anderson isn't everyone's cup of tea).

Comment

• I’m seeing “The Last Duel” tomorrow night.

Comment

• Switching gears but dear God...Alec Baldwin literally killed someone on set today. Something went wrong with a prop gun he was firing in a scene. Like, it was loaded with live ammo or improperly made blanks like with Brandon Lee...who knows. He killed the movie's cinematographer and wounded the director.

Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on a set in New Mexico, causing the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza.

Comment

Working...
                                X