No announcement yet.

DSL's Movie/TV Reviews and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was reading some movie news about Cry Macho, which might end up being Clint Eastwood's last role...and thought it was worth a small chuckle that his love interest is still 40 years than him but he's so old now that she's an actual grandmother in real life.

On another note, I guess the next Black Panther movie, "Wakanda Forever" is beset with problems. The actress who plays Shuri, T'Challa's tiny little sister? Well she's an anti-vaxxer in real life and she split the US for England a while back and might not be able to get back in the country for a while. And now there's talk she could even get fired and replaced digitally lol

Comment

• Amazing scene from some old abandoned Atari Jaguar game (starring Timothy Bottoms) that was given new life recently.

Comment

• Have had less time to watch movies once football season started but Recently I did finish two NetFlix Marvel shows from a ways back: the first season of Daredevil and the first season of Jessica Jones. Those are both well worth your time. Daredevil had me hooked right away while it took me maybe 5 episodes in to warm up to Jessica Jones. But once I did I think I ended up liking it even more. That is a dark show. Daredevil's violent and has some good action scenes (one GREAT one in episode 2) but ultimately it's a story about guys punching each other.. Jessica Jones goes into some pretty fucked up psychological territory. Krysten Ritter as Jessica and David Tennant as the main villain are both great. But both are much darker, violent, and sexual than anything that'll ever be on Disney+.
        Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; November 17, 2021, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, they are both very good for the hit-and-Miss NetFlix productions.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The first two seasons of “Daredevil” are pretty good. It’s been what, 5 or 6 years, since that came out. Hardly remember it outside of having a positive impression of the series. The film making with the action scenes are surprisingly high quality.
            I didn’t watch any of the other superhero TV series on Netflix. As we have previously discussed, “The Boys” on Amazon is entertaining. Season 3 is coming out soon.
            Trying “Doom Patrol” on HBO… it’s kind of hit and miss. You can tell if a TV series isn’t quite right for you if you are frequently checking the clock.
            Rather, it’s a great sign if you are immersed into a TV series and wonder how time flew by that fast. That’s how I feel with the excellent reboot TV series “Dexter: New Blood.” Thank goodness they brought back Dexter and hit on it after the disaster final season.
            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• RIP Betty White. Just a few weeks before turning 100

She's the last member of the main cast of the Mary Tyler Moore Show to die and in an odd coincidence the 4th in 2021 (Ed Asner, Cloris Leachman, and Gavin McLeod all died earlier this year)

Comment

• Bummer. I thought for sure she would outlive Biden...
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Comment

• Finally got around to watching The Suicide Squad. Better than any Marvel movie Disney has made since 2018, possibly 2017. It's a well-earned R rating though so not one to watch with the kiddos one lazy Saturday.

Comment

• My wife and I watched Ted Lasso over the holidays. I gotta say....it was extremely enjoyable. I was surprised at how good it was.

Meanwhile, my son and I watched the first two Spiderman movies (of the Tobey Maguire threepack). I'm not a huge fan of the origin story movie only because it eat up valuable killin' time with drama, but the first one wasn't bad and the second one we both rather liked. His friends have told him the third one sucks, but I told him we're in for a penny in for a pound and noted that he watched Episodes 7, 8, 9, so this ought to be a walk in the park.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The second Tobey Maguire Spider Man is generally regarded as the best, but I have never understood why (speaking of eating up valuable killing time with drama).

Comment

• Episodes 7, 8, and 9 are a trilogy of aborted fetuses. Absolutely awful movies that were no better than mediocre on release and already aged poorly.

Comment

• I didn't mind the drama THAT much in Spiderman2. Some of it paid off, some of it has the opportunity to pay off. But, whatever. It was watchable and a generally fun action movie.

Now, 7-9 are a different story. Obviously, 8 is beyond god-awful. But setting aside the sheer audacity in remaking the franchise, 7-9 fail for such basic plot-line principles that it's astounding. Things just happen. Even if there were zero annoying messaging, there are so many times in these movies where, if you're capable of cognitive thought at all, you're asking questions that have answers that essentially undermine the entire first 6 episodes. It's staggering how bad some of it is.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Episodes VII-IX are what happens when your only take on Star Wars is “The Force is Female” and your director for two out of three movies made his name writing shitty “Mystery Box” scripts. That’s how you end up with Mary Sue protagonists like Rey, a purple-haired gender studies professor as an Admiral, and plots that don’t survive two minutes of scrutiny.

Oh wait a minute. “Star Wars is for children you’re not supposed to scrutinize it.”

Comment

• At least the Star Wars series has a sequence that can be followed. Your points about the wokeness are spot on, however. We had plenty of early indicators, though - dating back as far as the early 80s when it was pretty clear that Lucas didn't really have any other stories to tell. When Howard the Duck is the best that you can come up with, you should probably stick to the technical side of the production.

I had no idea that there was an actual sequence of (at least) 8 Spiderman movies. it just seemed like there just a bunch or reboots and remakes and then a couple of semi-animated entries. It just seemed like a mess. Not like I have any plans to geekbinge, but is there an actual sequence (asking in case I'm unexpectedly snowbound or in another COVID lockdown)?

Comment

Working...
                                X