X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• b/c?

Comment

• I'd guess so too as he was suppose to visit Kentucky in a couple weeks, now he has to secure his spot before it's taken...

Grantham is announcing Friday, M or Clemson. I haven't seen much of his (Grantham) game so don't know his talent level...

Any class that has Blackmon & Chatman is really, really good. Current and incoming talent has M in a position to sustain success as a top 10 BB program.

Comment

• hack,

Blackmon just visited AA, now he's had an in-home tonight and ready to decide when he has visits lined up for other schools.

Comment

• There's a pretty good video at the bottom of this link. He reminds more of Jamal Crawford than Jalen.

Boys Basketball
          Kameron Chatman says Michigan is 'the best fit'
          By Aubrey Wieber | awieber@oregonian.com
          on October 02, 2013 4:35 p.m.

Email
          Kameron Chatman at the 2013 Rose City Showcase in Portland, Ore. (Mike Richman/The Oregonian)
          After looking at Oregon, Arizona, Michigan, and USC, four star guard-wing combo Kameron Chatman of Columbia Christian decided on the Michigan Wolverines. Chatman announced his decision Tuesday evening on Twitter. On Wednesday, Chatman spoke with The Oregonian and explained how he settled on Michigan.

When did you decide that you were going to go to Michigan?

After all of my (recruiting) visits, we talked. I had a deep conversation with my family on Sunday and we just felt it was the best fit for us. They felt comfortable, I felt comfortable, so it was just the best fit.

How did the Arizona trip go?

It went good. It was a good little trip.

How much did Damon Stoudamire being there play in to the decision?

Damon is a close friend to me and that really put them off (the list) because they were't really actively recruiting me before Damon came. Michigan was actually the first school to recruit me out of all the schools on my list. They've been there since summer 2012, so they've just been riding out with me and respecting the process. But Damon was a big factor, just him being there and the relationship that we had.

What was it about the other schools that you didn't like?

I'll just say that Michigan was the best fit for me. I think I could be the most successful there.

Did Michigan recruit better than the other schools?

I really felt comfortable with the team, they have some good guys. Just me getting to know them and spend time with them, I really felt comfortable. Getting to play with them was pretty good.

When did you tell coach John Beilein that you were going to Michigan?

I actually did (Tuesday). They came for an in-home visit.

What did he say?

He was surprised. All of them, there was four [coaches] that came, coach Beilein and three assistants. They were surprised but excited. I was excited too. He talked about how we were going to do big things there and talked about the players that would be there with Derrick (Walton Jr.) and Caris (LeVert). Mitch (McGary) and Glenn (Robinson III) are probably going to leave, but they are going to try and get some other recruits in. He was really excited.

Have you talked to any of the players?

Yeah, I talked to Caris, I talked to Derrick, Glenn and Mitch. They said welcome to the family, it's a good decision that I made. They were basically just supporting me, saying that I chose the right spot.

Did you talk to Beilein about the minutes and position you will play?

Yeah, he said basically I'm going to have to earn everything. He wants the ball in my hands a lot because of the decision making skills I have. He said (I'll play) a lot of positions from the one to the four, different stuff like that. So, I'm going to be a sliding position.

How do you feel about that?

I feel good about that. Whichever way best helps me be successful.

Do you feel like you have a natural position?

I would say I don't right now, but they really talked about turning me into an NBA point guard. They are going to try and work on that with me in the future.

Is that the position you would like to end up at?

Yeah definitely, just because of my mindset. I think that way. I look for my teammates a lot, I'm not really looking to score. I'll get my points off the flow of the game. Just getting my teammates involved first, that's really my mindset.

Was that something that Michigan valued in you?

Yeah, definitely. They do a lot of ball screens and stuff like that. You get in the paint, sink the defense, look for your players and stuff like that. They really like that about me. That and me rebounding.

Did you talk to your dad [Canaan Chatman] a lot about the decision?

Yeah, I would say my whole family. They really put it on my though, cause they're not going to to go college. It's me going to college. It was mostly my decision but obviously I talked with my family. They told me it was a good fit for me and I felt that way too. They mostly just said they liked the coaches and feel comfortable with me being with them and they know that they can get me better so that I can go to the next level and basically coach me to my potential.

Did you like that your dad had a good relationship with him?

Definitely. Just because they talked a lot and my dad got a good feel on what he thought about it. He played a big part in me choosing them. If I felt like my parents didn't feel comfortable with me being there, then I wouldn't feel comfortable being there. We all felt the same way, so it worked out.

Are you excited to be done with recruiting?

Definitely. It was a big relief, so yeah, I'm happy with it. I feel 20lbs lighter now.

What are you going to focus on now?

Everything. Staying in the gym, eating right, all the things that I need to do to get ready for college. Weightlifting, shooting drills. I need to get better. I know I'm going to put on a lot of weight in college, but I'm trying to do my best to go in right now.

What would you like your weight to be when you get there?

Right now, I'm about 197, so 205. 210 maybe, if I can.

Comment

• Thanks the update on Blackmon. Cool.

Comment

• He loved his official last weekend, we have all 4 coaches in home tonight. He's supposed to visit UK on the 18th. If he announces before then, I don't know where else he'd go. He hasn't taken officials(I don't think) to either of msu or ku.

Comment

• Chatman did say he was going to try to recruit other UM targets. WM is right about the closing of the window on this class.

Comment

• And I would love Grantham, but if he doesn't come, I'll happily bank it for a shot at Bolden.

Comment

• Who would you compare Grantham to?

Comment

• DJ Wilson visiting this weekend, probably will get an offer then. I think the spot is his if Grantham chooses Clemson.

Comment

• [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU76qcGiSBk"]Donte Grantham '14 Mixtape @ Reebok Breakout Classic - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Blackmon Jr. tweeted an hour ago that his decision is coming soon, along with this picture.

Comment

• I'm not sure if I'd rather have Blackmon Jr. or Booker. I've just been hearing about Booker for so long. Blackmon is a scoring machine, though.

It would be amazing after months of nothing that Michigan might land 3 top players in less than a week.

Comment

• I know it's a very raw distinction, but Blackmon is the pure shooter and Booker the scorer that shoots well. This is digging way too deep, but Blackmon is a 6-3 player without PG skills. Very possible that translates into a five-star prospect who becomes a 3-year player.

I'm ecstatic if we get either, though.

Comment

• IMO, you have 'em reversed hack. I think Blackmon is the pure scorer and booker the shooter. And agree, ecstatic with either.
                                Last edited by The Oracle; October 2, 2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X