No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love the Simpsons where Krusty keeps ordering Condor egg omlettes.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• lol.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• That's also the episode where he bet on the Washington Generals. They were due! Ahhhhhh, they're using a ladder!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          I'm pretty sure we can't kill bald eagles regardless of the ESA. So, a few more regs to roll back before we can enjoy that delicacy. Hopefully DJT stays in office long enough to make it happen!
          Actually, what law prevents the bald eagle being killed? Because it's the national symbol or somesuch?

Comment

That's also the episode where he bet on the Washington Generals. They were due! Ahhhhhh, they're using a ladder!

Genius episode.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Just take the ball!

Yeah, that's a good one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                Actually, what law prevents the bald eagle being killed? Because it's the national symbol or somesuch?
                Ben Franklin once opined that the turkey was a more respectable bird than the eagle, and we eat turkeys!

Comment

• DSL:

Google "hunt bald eagles" - there's at least 3 including an act specific to eagles.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                    Ben Franklin once opined that the turkey was a more respectable bird than the eagle, and we eat turkeys!
                    Dude, do you know how dumb people were back then?

Comment

• Also, as I'm sure you know, the ESA is mostly about habitat and more or less nixing anything that may harm habitat of listed species.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                        Yeah, well he liked the French too. F that guy.

Comment

Also, as I'm sure you know, the ESA is mostly about habitat and more or less nixing anything that may harm habitat of listed species.
                          Heh...onerous and burdensome, no doubt...

Damn you, spotted owl, your tyranny is at an end!

Comment

• There was a group of Texicans that ginned up some phony Guide licences here a few years back. They rented out a huge swath of farmland, and took squads of JoCo dipshits (No doubt festooned in the latest Under Armor camo) out for Gator-mounted massacres. They blasted everything that walked, crawled or flew. Pretty much exterminated the vertebrate population in the region.

One particularly dipshitty dispshit popped a bald eagle...with a shotgun. (The asshole claimed that he believed it was a hawk) This, apparently, was heinous enough for the landowner to turn them in. The local Game Warden shows up, and finds the eagle, alive, but writhing in agony. It took hours to get ahold of an official high enough up the federal pecking order (in Denver) to give permission for a local vet to euthanize the eagle. Subsequently the feds landed on these douchebags like a ton of bricks.

So I can see arguments both ways...there is good in ESA regs, and there is overbureaucracy. But I do not trust the Trump Admin to find a reasonable balance. At all.

Comment

• DSL:
                              Covered by the law Talent cites, but this is where the "regulations" are the problem.

For example, 15 years ago in Michigan, the law was that you couldn't do anything within 1,000 feet of a bald eagle nest. Stay away. This effectively "took" about 23 acres around a nest. No timbering, no roads, no building, nothing.

So, if a fellow had a couple hundred acres of woods, and he saw an eagle, or worse yet, a nest, he had a substantial interest in eliminating the possibility of losing his land. Dead eagle. If the owner had been left to his own devices, he would, say, timber the land, and the eagle would have left, or not. Live eagle.

Another harm from the ESA is that it has become a weapon for the wackos to stop water usage, using the delta smelt in CA and the snail darter in TN. There does not have to be actual critters involved. It is enough for the habitat to be deemed "suitable". Weed and grasses are included, and have become the main way to stop development of waterfront property. Developers even held seminars about "preemptive habitat destruction" which is basically dozing a large piece of acreage solely to avoid "finding" a protected grass.

The problem is compounded by the fact that there could be no "'partial' regulatory taking" until 2003 with Palazolo v. RI. So some do-gooders would sit by their pools in the suburbs and draw up rules like the 1,000' radius with no notion of the consequences, and with no negative repercussions involved with the partial taking.
                              Last edited by Da Geezer; February 15, 2017, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• Getting off track but on the subject of killing animals...

I'm not opposed to hunting...but I know people who have taken 'hunting trips' to 'exotic animal preserves' where they shoot weird sheep and antelope and who knows what else imported legally/illegally from overseas. They basically release the animals right in front of them or put them in very small enclosures. Guaranteed a kill. Might as well tie them to a tree and shoot from 10 steps back.

I don't really want to presume to tell anyone how to live their lives but to me that's not hunting. That's someone who'd have just as good a time using the bolt gun on cow after cow at the slaughterhouse.

Comment

Working...
                                X