No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very proud of Jared and his brother Joshua for pulling off this GREAT DEAL! Florida Marlins! BIGLY TEAM FOR A BIGLY FAMILY!

Comment

• Hoss:

I assume you also don't think Ds are going to find a balance re "overbureaucratization" or even try.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
          Yeah, well he liked the French too. F that guy.
          The French, honestly, get a bad rap. For hundreds and hundreds of years, the French had a fearsome army and held their own in war and in conquest. They were generally known as rapier-swinging bad-asses.

I think a lot of the "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" stuff happened with the German invasion in WWII, how quickly Paris fell, and the fact that literally millions of French soldiers were captured by Germans (read: surrendered as opposed to fighting).

It's a shame, really. Kinda like the proud history of the Tennessee Vols juxtaposed with what they have become now: boiled peanut eating 4-loss surrender monkeys.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            The French, honestly, get a bad rap. For hundreds and hundreds of years, the French had a fearsome army and held their own in war and in conquest. They were generally known as rapier-swinging bad-asses.

I think a lot of the "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" stuff happened with the German invasion in WWII, how quickly Paris fell, and the fact that literally millions of French soldiers were captured by Germans (read: surrendered as opposed to fighting).

It's a shame, really. Kinda like the proud history of the Tennessee Vols juxtaposed with what they have become now: boiled peanut eating 4-loss surrender monkeys.
            On similar note, many more Americans are familiar with WWII as opposed to WWI when France carried the load FAR more against Germany than England really did.

Comment

• True. They managed to keep the Germans out of Paris. Barely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                On similar note, many more Americans are familiar with WWII as opposed to WWI when France carried the load FAR more against Germany than England really did.
                Correct. On a similar note, few know that without France, the US would have likely lost the Revoluntionary War. They just know that France surrendered (quickly) in WWII.

WWII was not a good war for French street cred. Besides the quick surrender, the shameful armistice and Vichy in bed with Hitler and supporting (and really applauding) German conquests in other countries was shocking.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• CNN flashed something like "FBI not expected to file charges against Flynn." But that's fake news.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                    Hoss:

I assume you also don't think Ds are going to find a balance re "overbureaucratization" or even try.
                    Well, it wouldn't be there otherwise. So....

Comment

• The French had a little less than 5 million military casualties in WW I, virtually all men. The Allied generals in WWI just continued to send men into the meatgrinder. I suspect the attitude developed during WWI toward the high command had a negative impact on French morale in WWII.

Seems the generals are tactically willing to fight the last war.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

Fewer still probably realize that the valiant self-sacrifice of the remnants of the French army was largely responsible for the escape of the BEF at Dunkirk.

But they are still pricks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          Getting off track but on the subject of killing animals...

I'm not opposed to hunting...but I know people who have taken 'hunting trips' to 'exotic animal preserves' where they shoot weird sheep and antelope and who knows what else imported legally/illegally from overseas. They basically release the animals right in front of them or put them in very small enclosures. Guaranteed a kill. Might as well tie them to a tree and shoot from 10 steps back.

I don't really want to presume to tell anyone how to live their lives but to me that's not hunting. That's someone who'd have just as good a time using the bolt gun on cow after cow at the slaughterhouse.
                          I have an uncle who is an accomplished musket hunter. That takes some skill. Much more difficult than even bow hunting, at which he was quite accomplished before moving on to muzzle-loading.

Makes fabulous deer jerky.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                            Fewer still probably realize that the valiant self-sacrifice of the remnants of the French army was largely responsible for the escape of the BEF at Dunkirk.

But they are still pricks.
                            On a similar note, I thnk we can all agree that the bravest people in the world are Scots.

(Shaddup, Talent)

Comment

• The Scots can pick a fight or two...not quite as prestigious as the older branches of the Gaelic Family...the Irish, the Welsh, the ancient Britains, or the Tennesseans...but they manage

Comment

• Eatin' haggis ain't for nancyboys.

Comment

Working...
                                X