No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made the mistake of listening to Mike & Mike this morning. Dear god, why? Anywho, they were off on some sophomoric point about "why don't people just listen to one another". Except for the entire segment it was a one-way street -- "why don't people listen to THE PROTESTERS?" Not once did they suggest, "hey maybe CK or others should listen to other folks about why doing this during the anthem doesn't sit well with them."

And that's quintessential politics. "Listen to each other" is all well and good as long as you're listening to the right opinion. In these 10 minutes, ESPN was pushing a huge agenda, so the right opinion was clear. But, it could have just as easily been some FOX dude with a disingenuous plea to "listen to each other" meaning, "respect the anthem".
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Is that the best you can do?
      It is. Frankly, it only merited ::::fart noise::::, but far be it from me to criticize your artistic choices.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
        Read the article Geezer linked, CGVT. It's very good (IMO). White vs black IS red vs blue. When people say "white" in that context the aren't referring to the prog whites begging for forgiveness from all aggrieved minorities of any sort. They are referring to white Rs.

The underlying issue Kaepernick is protesting is very much Red-Blue.
        So if you think the way we police communities like Ferguson is bad does that mean you are asking for forgiveness?

I think this issue is something these guys kneeling might know something about. They aren't going to kneel for healthcare or something more complicated. But protesting DWB, a lot of them probably have experience with that or know someone who has.

You like to talk about the color blind society MLK talks about in his I Have A Dream speech, remember a big subject of that speech was police brutality, he wants to get there but they aren't there. It's been over 50 years since that speech.

Comment

• I think this issue is something these guys kneeling might know something about.
          [snarky Froot mockery voice]Yeah, I'm white, they're black, I can't comment. I get it.[/snarky Froot mockery voice]

I get it. You agree with CK and hence support him. And every other social "justice" issue.

Comment

• Kaep's contract dollars (he wants starting QB money) and a horrible qbr (22-26 NFL QBs with better numbers over the last two seasons) is the big variable.

Let Cam Newton kneel and he would still be signed. But a bottom barrel metrics QB who wants big $$ AND becomes a controversial social warrior lighting rod? Yeah, no. No owner wants that overpriced headache. Tom Brady could come out as the NAMBLA spokesman and Pats' fans would look the other way. Ditto Cam and Carolina fans.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I made the mistake of listening to Mike & Mike this morning. Dear god, why? Anywho, they were off on some sophomoric point about "why don't people just listen to one another". Except for the entire segment it was a one-way street -- "why don't people listen to THE PROTESTERS?" Not once did they suggest, "hey maybe CK or others should listen to other folks about why doing this during the anthem doesn't sit well with them."

And that's quintessential politics. "Listen to each other" is all well and good as long as you're listening to the right opinion. In these 10 minutes, ESPN was pushing a huge agenda, so the right opinion was clear. But, it could have just as easily been some FOX dude with a disingenuous plea to "listen to each other" meaning, "respect the anthem".
              I stopped watching anything on ESPN long ago Talent...the media...specifically any media outlet who rely on the NFL is in full defend the players/Goodell/Owners mode...good god I listened to Tony Dungy this morning who I've always respected...and his take was the same company line...the NFL shows yesterday morning they all had on US Flag lapel pins...lmao...fucking tools...all of them. Yesterday they tried to make it a referendum on Trump and his comments...nothing more nothing less...look I get they don't like Trump...protest him somewhere else...like...uh...the voting booth.

Idiots.
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Let Cam Newton kneel and he would still be signed. But a bottom barrel metrics QB who wants big $$ AND becomes a controversial social warrior lighting rod? Yeah, no. No owner wants that overpriced headache. Tom Brady could come out as the NAMBLA spokesman and Pats' fans would look the other way. Ditto Cam and Carolina fans.
                Correct. STFU.

Comment

• Regardless of the situation...the NFL is digging it's own grave.

idiots
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• regarding vietnam

interesting to seeing some of these guys fess up to crimes they committed

from the dude who screwed the Vietnam girl for c rats along with half of his company couple days before he left to the wild eyed helicopter gunner who went off on the reporter to the nort Vietnamese who admitted they massacred hundreds of the civilans in way--amazing stories being brought to the forefront--the scope of the civil unrest in 1968 and what a shitty year it was I had forgotten about--I was 8

and yeah the irony of the division of black and white in 1968 vs today isn't lost on me.

I don't believe white players support the "cause" I think they supported their teammates and their right to do whatever they want during the anthem.

message to trump--you cant tell us what to do during the anthem

the message to kaepernicke was your now unemployed for whatever social injustice you see--demonstrating over and over and over and over again cost you your livelihood because the owners didn't want the distraction

the players however made their point this weekend--hopefully they don't pile on and do this over and over and over because I can find better stuff to do on sunday afternoons and sunday nights along with quite a few other people. and the nfl is not exactly filling the seats in a lot of places or getting the best ratings

Comment

[snarky Froot mockery voice]Yeah, I'm white, they're black, I can't comment. I get it.[/snarky Froot mockery voice]

I get it. You agree with CK and hence support him. And every other social "justice" issue.
                      Yeah, I'm the one who is snarky. Ok. I'm not trying to be snarky for what it's worth. I stood for the national anthem on Friday night, so I'm not really with CK. I'm not asking for fucking forgiveness you smarmy fuck, give me a fucking break with that shit. We get it you're an oppressed white guy on Team Red.

I believe one of the issues with Ferguson and some of the other surrounding communities were white majority councils.

Do you think it's a phantom issue?

Comment

• message to trump--you cant tell us what to do during the anthem

Bingo.
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I stopped watching anything on ESPN long ago Talent...the media...specifically any media outlet who rely on the NFL is in full defend the players/Goodell/Owners mode...good god I listened to Tony Dungy this morning who I've always respected...and his take was the same company line...the NFL shows yesterday morning they all had on US Flag lapel pins...lmao...fucking tools...all of them. Yesterday they tried to make it a referendum on Trump and his comments...nothing more nothing less...look I get they don't like Trump...protest him somewhere else...like...uh...the voting booth.
                          I guess I should reconsider my opinion, but correct.

What they don't actually get is that if they are letting the protest morph into an anti-DJT protest. Players are now shitting on the national anthem to, more or less, sling poo back at DJT. He's won.

Football is way more of a red state sport than blue state. And I think the fans are particularly happy with the players expressing their dislike for DJT via the anthem. That doesn't sit well.

And they can ivory tower this shit to death in their ESPN/CNN echo chamber, but I think the facts on the ground are beyond their comprehension -- in the sense that I doubt they even know anyone who voted for DJT.

So, that's my general take, almost surely wrong.

Comment

• They either just don't get it...much like Hillary...or they don't care...and they will cut off their nose to spite their face in the process...ratings were down badly BEFORE this shit...
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
                              regarding vietnam

interesting to seeing some of these guys fess up to crimes they committed

from the dude who screwed the Vietnam girl for c rats along with half of his company couple days before he left to the wild eyed helicopter gunner who went off on the reporter to the nort Vietnamese who admitted they massacred hundreds of the civilans in way--amazing stories being brought to the forefront--the scope of the civil unrest in 1968 and what a shitty year it was I had forgotten about--I was 8

and yeah the irony of the division of black and white in 1968 vs today isn't lost on me.

I don't believe white players support the "cause" I think they supported their teammates and their right to do whatever they want during the anthem.

message to trump--you cant tell us what to do during the anthem

the message to kaepernicke was your now unemployed for whatever social injustice you see--demonstrating over and over and over and over again cost you your livelihood because the owners didn't want the distraction

the players however made their point this weekend--hopefully they don't pile on and do this over and over and over because I can find better stuff to do on sunday afternoons and sunday nights along with quite a few other people. and the nfl is not exactly filling the seats in a lot of places or getting the best ratings
                              That helicopter pilot from last night was nuts. He's the first guy they've had on that really made me uncomfortable.

What's going on today is nothing compared with 1968.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm the one who is snarky. Ok. I'm not trying to be snarky for what it's worth. I stood for the national anthem on Friday night, so I'm not really with CK. I'm not asking for fucking forgiveness you smarmy fuck, give me a fucking break with that shit. We get it you're an oppressed white guy on Team Red.

I believe one of the issues with Ferguson and some of the other surrounding communities were white majority councils.

Do you think it's a phantom issue?
                                Well, when you actually push back against SOME social "injustice" issue then maybe I'll believe you that you're not out begging forgiveness.

As for Ferguson, it was shitty. I'm still not sure how a 70% AA community elected those tools, but whatever. The idea that local government rapes it citizens via parking tickets doesn't surprise me. It's just sad. I'm generally not a fan of pure disparate impact, but in that case I think it was disparate enough to stand up. I think the solution (police should be representative of their community) is awful. Seeing as how wealthier communities pay more, I'd hate to see AAs excluded from those jobs because of demographics.

All of that is well and good, but it's an anecdotal, IMO, in relation to the macro discussion. So, yeah, Ferguson was shitty. Is Ferguson representative? I don't think it is. I assume you do or wouldn't raise it as a point. We disagree.

Semi-related to Ferguson, the only study to look at police shootings by race still says AAs are not more likely than Whites to get shot. And in 2016, I think 7 unarmed AAs that were not fleeing the scene were fatally shot by police (13 white folks). So, you know, 20 too many, but injustice?

Of course, the real discrimination is gender-based, right? 923 men killed by police in 2016; 40 women!

Comment

Working...
                                X