No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't believe Obama ordered the DOJ to fully ignore the law, just prioritize violations, and not pursue action against states that had legalized it. But I'd like to see the actual guidelines. Or do you view prioritization itself as a gross violation of the Constitution and abuse of executive power?
    Obama decided, unambiguously, not to faithfully execute a validly passed Federal law in whatever states legalized marijuana. That's not prioritization.

As I said, we're at impasse for the reasons I stated. You can keep trying to recast what Obama did -- "prosecutorial discretion" to "prioritization" to "?" -- he decided to intentionally not enforce the law. It may have been to perfectly good and sensible ends. But it is, without question, not "faithfully executing the laws" of the US.

In my first post I noted that (a) Congress ought never have had the power to legislate like this but we are where we are with our expansive interstate commerce jurisprudence; and (b) since they did legislate, then they ought to revisit the issue with sensible legislation -- or, even better, get rid of it all and leave drug laws to the States -- as they should be.

But those are two separate conversations FOR ME. I value the process. If you don't value the process then you're fine with the Executive not doing his proscribed job if you agree with that particular fuck you to Aritcle II, Clause 5.
    Last edited by iam416; January 5, 2018, 11:08 AM.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Secondly, and really more to the point, its self-defeating to criticize others about the use of hyperbole when liberally dipping heavily into it yourself.
      I agree. That's why I didn't do it as I established. I think it self-defeating to criticize others for reasons that are demonstrably false. JMO.

I don't think its nearly as cut-and-dried as you would purport, first off. There was, in fact, a legislative process in Colorado on the issue. It happens to be at odds with federal law, and in your specific case noted above, the commerce clause.
      I don't have time to give you another civics lesson, but read up the supremacy clause. No one with even a vague understanding of that clause (and federalism) would make that point.

Comment

• Here's (I think) the actual Obama memo

Comment

• I think marijuana should be left to the states to either allow and regulare or criminlize.
          Correct. I think all minor drug use ought to be left to the states. I think the commerce clause only has power if you're able to show trafficking. To show trafficking I think you need substantial weight. Moreover I think it ought to be significant trafficking. College fucks buying a pound to sell around campus? Whatever -- that's a state issue. Guys with 1000 pounds? Ok, that CAN be a federal issue.

Federal laws tend to focus more on the trafficking side and I'd guess that's what Sessions will do. He's not going to arrest people using medical marijuana.

But it's still silly, IMO, that Federal law doesn't have sufficient threshold limits to enforcement that are sensibly tied to interstate commerce. But, that's where we are.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            I agree. That's why I didn't do it as I established. I think it self-defeating to criticize others for reasons that are demonstrably false. JMO.

I don't have time to give you another civics lesson, but read up the supremacy clause. No one with even a vague understanding of that clause (and federalism) would make that point.

He directed DOJ to not interfere in the use and sale of pot in accordance with the wishes of Colorado voters and state law. To consider that ?usurping? congress is absurd; you are trying to build a molehill into a mountain. Is the next step in the argument that the Obama committed TREASON!!!!1 here? C'mon.

I mean, we all get it?you hate the Obama DOJ. Fine. That emotion has driven you out of bounds here.

Comment

• You really do need a lesson on federalism and the supremacy clause. Holy hell.

Comment

• Misdirection. Fail.

Comment

• Thanks for the white flag.

Comment

• what are we doing here? comparing president's first year job creation?

Trump's is bigger

Comment

• As a lawyer, I find it hilarious that anyone, I mean anyone, thinks that states can just invalidate Congressional acts by passing their own laws. I think of all the time I spent reading pre-emption cases and supremacy law cases that built up over time to bring our federalism into relief.

But, oh no, if a state decides it doesn't want to follow a Congressional act all it has to do is pass a law. I mean....wow. Just wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                        You recite the Trump narrative. Many observers see the Korean communications to be the starting point for a NoKo attempt to create a wedge between SoKo and the US. Re-establishing the hot line (no US involvement), discussions about NoKo participation in the Olympics (no US involvement), open talks scheduled (no US involvement). That's more movement in 2 weeks than the last 20 years, all without US involvement or influence.

To say that Trump has had any influence is akin to saying the sun rises because the rooster crows before dawn. All he's done is get into a schoolyard taunting match. China is playing Trump like a fiddle, saying one thing and doing another. Trump can't do anything economic to China without seriously damaging US business, all he's got is window dressing actions. And bluster. Lots of impotent bluster.
                        many observers, including "expert economists" thought that the market would crash when Trump was elected, thought that his election would "trigger a global depression which we would not recover"

He knows what he's doing, and it will work despite the democrats mental anguish.

Comment

• Does the FBI have prosecutorial discretion or not?
                          NO. Only James Comey ever claimed prosecutorial discretion in the history of the Bureau.

The laws should be changed, need to be changed. The AG has the authority to remove marijuana from the drug schedule, 0bama's AGs didn't do it, it should fall back on Congress to do it.
                          Absolutely correct. Further, this is a perfect time to fire Jeff Sessions who is utterly incompetent. I suspect he is honest, but if you watch him during hearings, he just seems to misunderstand so many questions. He is absolutely Trump's biggest mistake.

It is also time for Congress to pass a law saying marijuana is a much lower class of drug, if it is on the drug schedule at all

Comment

• Marijuana is currently Schedule I, I think, which means it has no medical benefits. That is, at least contested. It ought to be re-scheduled and, again, I reiterate -- they ought to put clear threshold limits into the law for ALL drugs. Congress ought to address this.

Alternatively, we can just let Donald Trump do what he thinks is best and bypass Congress. That seems to be the kosher way of doing things.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                              what are we doing here? comparing president's first year job creation?

Trump's is bigger
                              Everyone acknowledges that. Would you care to acknowledge that Trump entered office with a much healthier economy than Obama did?

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                                As a lawyer, I find it hilarious that anyone, I mean anyone, thinks that states can just invalidate Congressional acts by passing their own laws. I think of all the time I spent reading pre-emption cases and supremacy law cases that built up over time to bring our federalism into relief.

But, oh no, if a state decides it doesn't want to follow a Congressional act all it has to do is pass a law. I mean....wow. Just wow.
                                You are going to burn up all of this forum's hyperbole before noon.

I mean, nobody has said this. At all. But your white flag is accepted as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X