Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

My daughter takes dance lessons. One of the other fathers works at Ford Motor company here in KC. He's a line supervisor. We were talking about millennials and he told me that for every open position at the plant, they hire ten people. Only 10% of those hired last over 12 months. Nobody wants to do the work. 20 yrs ago, people would be in line for those jobs.

Speaks volumes on many levels..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• My goodness, I just read the loving comments about me posted in the last couple of days. I agree with Hoss. Take me with a grain of salt. I've been you. I really believed that stuff once, too.

I do claim to be the only Liberal on this site. Liberal comes from the root word "liberty". The most elegant discussion of the matter I've ever found is contained in the book The Law. A Portrait of a Just Society by Frederic Bastiat. It is on the internet in full, since it is short and easily read in one sitting. Bastiat's most used quote is "The state is that great fiction by which everyone tries to live at the expense of everyone else."
      Last edited by Da Geezer; March 18, 2016, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• hey entropy, how are you feeling?

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
          My daughter takes dance lessons. One of the other fathers works at Ford Motor company here in KC. He's a line supervisor. We were talking about millennials and he told me that for every open position at the plant, they hire ten people. Only 10% of those hired last over 12 months. Nobody wants to do the work. 20 yrs ago, people would be in line for those jobs.

Speaks volumes on many levels..

The way that young people will throw away a good paying job nowadays blows my mind sometimes. Don't these people know how lucky they are to not be working at Starbucks? I guess that they find out the hard way.

Comment

• I used to think that national service would do the youth of America some good (military, Peace Corps, or some such). Instead, make them work at Wal-mart for a year. That should make them appreciate other employment, even digging ditches.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I'm making my kids find a shitty minimum wage job as soon as they turn 16.

Or at least that's my plan.

Comment

• Along the lines of kids should only major in 'useful' subjects...would Thomas Jefferson agree?

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                  I really believed that stuff once, too.
                  You mean stuff like, reality? :-D

Hey, IMO a little hyperbole makes the day go by, but we gotta stay in-bounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                    I'm making my kids find a shitty minimum wage job as soon as they turn 16.

Or at least that's my plan.
                    I think it does a world of good. My younger brother was on the leading edge of this "sports as work" mentality that is so pervasive today. His first few "real" jobs after quitting sports were a series of disasters, as was his initial foray into the military. Had zero workplace social skills or sense of self-awareness on the employment ladder, and a hell of a mouth.

A few hours of scissor-kicks in a Texas mudpit got that straightened out though. Now he's a captain in the OKCFD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                      hey entropy, how are you feeling?

I'm doing well. It's taking longer to recover than I'd like, but I have to keep reminding myself... My chest was split it half. That is not a minor surgery.

Comment

• Entropy. My mother's side is from Ohio, the smart ones moved to south central Michigan.

Comment

• My chest was split it half. That is not a minor surgery
                          I can relate. I had open heart surgery in 1958 and again in 1967. They had to split my chest too. The one in 1958 was done by stopping my heart and carving on it. I had about a 50% chance of brain damage. At least, that's my excuse.

Comment

• Hanni:

FWIW, I got my daughter a part time job at age 14 (scooping ice cream). She worked full-time during summers until she graduated from college. There is no substitute for the discipline that work gives to kids. Most of her friends viewed work as something similar to a Planter's Wart: something that happened to you. Once a kid understands that working is just the way life is, that kid is on the way.

Comment

• Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                              I can relate. I had open heart surgery in 1958 and again in 1967. They had to split my chest too. The one in 1958 was done by stopping my heart and carving on it. I had about a 50% chance of brain damage. At least, that's my excuse.
                              Yea... It's much better now. [emoji3]
                              After the first week or so, I stopped having pain. Actually my pain was on my side where they cut through the muscle and nerves between my ribs for the biopsy. My sternum doesn't have pain, but I never feel comfortable. For example.... sleeping becomes multiple 2 hr naps over 12 hrs to get 8 hrs of sleep. I'm tired, but can't rest.

Not sure if that makes sense..

Comment

• Can imagine that would be a long, long recovery. Good luck with it, but glad to see you've bounced back and are here and peddling these false equivalencies just like normal...

Comment

Working...
                                X