Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
    It was a Disney beach. I would think they'd be gator proof since they are at a Disney resort... And the beach is there for guests to enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You'd have to have lived a in serious bubble, even in Nebraska, not to be keenly aware of the danger of alligators in FL. As such, I tend to think the parents assumed the area was gator-proofed, and I suspect their statements on the matter will reflect that. As well as the Complaint, eventually.

There was a a sign prohibiting swimming there...doesn't sound like there was one warning for gators specifically, or that it prohibited getting in the water at all, from what I have read. That might cost Disney some dough, although, as sympathetic as I am, I still believe the balance of responsibility lies with the parents. You need to have some understanding of the world around you in lieu of assuming somebody else has made sure you're safe.

Comment

• EFZ
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Re Brexit, a really thoughtful piece that is bregrudgingly "leave". http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...d-nothing-els/
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I don't have a sense of it to know. On the one hand, Brussels overreach has all been just bureacratic annoyance. It's the other stuff that really has mattered. But the plan did create the perverse market incentives that sunk Greece and has hobbled the rest of southern Europe. It's the unintended consequences that seem to loom largest.

Comment

• good article Talent.

I don't know why any Brit would believe that Brexit can occur when the Treaty of Lisbon was specifically rejected by the French and the Dutch. The elites have enough power to "clarify" any outcome of which they do not approve.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
              I myself am not an absolutist when it comes to free speech, but that's a break from the constitution, isn't it?
              Hasn't there been legal limits to free speech? One cannot incite violence, for example, and then hide behind the 1st Am. Say a speaker at a fired up political rally with 20,000 people says "someone needs to shoot candidate X and beat up their followers". Then a throng of people from the rally leave and do exactly that. The speaker who incited the violence can be held liable. It seems to me jihadist websites could be blocked under Brandenburg v. Ohio.

Comment

• My wife told me that when she worked for Hallmark that was the hotel they stayed at on Disney Property... And they walked the beach at night. She said the signs were clear about not swimming but she could easily imagine a toddler wandering into the edge of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Free pizza makes an other dull Wednesday fly by...especially when its Minsky's.

Comment

• For DSL (heh): http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ame-christians
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I see your point, Mike. I mean, an environment in which Citizens United exists and but you start going down the China road on internet access seems to defy common sense, but...

Comment

• I'm fed up with people trying to find meaning and blame where there is none.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          Re Brexit, a really thoughtful piece that is bregrudgingly "leave". http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...d-nothing-els/
                          I'll try to read the whole thing later. It doesn't appear to be the usual message used to sell Brexit (which is primarily an anti-immigrant message combined with "let's take Britain back from those filthy Europeans!")

Another common complaint for those pro-Brexit: the EU bureaucrats are unelected. Which is true - sort of- the EU representatives are chosen by every nation's parliament I think. But this is a curious complaint coming from people who also tend to support the Monarchy and support (or are members in) the House of Lords.

The article appears a lot more intelligent at a glance so I'll have to read it more closely later.

Comment

• It stands out amongst the crowd, that's for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                              Check a little more careful there -- Australia hasn't had a mass shooting since 1996, after which laws were tightened up. Numbers obviously exist that show this isn't a problem in Europe either, which suffers a different sort of violence that is more targeted and close-range. I don't think these are everywhere in Asia either. Afghanistan is a central point and great for smuggling. But it has a domestic cottage industry of gunsmiths, suggestive of a lack of foreign supply.
                              Sorry if I mislead but the comment I was making in the post to which you are referring pertained to illegal gun trafficking not the number of mass shootings.

I closed the link to the chapter I was talking about, but would be glad to re-find it and post a link if you would like to see it. The chapter provided a very detailed look on the subject of black market weapons and, indeed, the authorities in all regions I mentioned struggle with it.
                              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• This supposedly a pic of the area near where the attack occurred. I don't know about anybody else, this says "beach" to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X