X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ooooh OP I'm so scared!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post
      What do you suggest, write letters to their congressman?
      The question that I've asked Stan has to do with how each of us might define the current Civil Rights movement.

I posted this: There is a time for dealing with racial injustice and a time for dealing with the kinds of violent activism - cop killing - that is becoming a core feature of the Civil Rights Movement of our time. Disgraceful

In Response, Stan posted this: That is the most ridiculous statement I have ever seen anyone post here in over ten years. How could anyone of any intelligence suggest that the civil rights movement could endorse indiscriminate police shootings, let alone suggest that the movement has adopted such a plan as its core feature. Oh yeah some white guy who has no understanding of what the civil rights movement has been about for the last fifty years.

In Response to Stan, I posted this: In my view, inciting violence against the police through activism aimed at redressing the perceived grievances of blacks at the hands of the police - state violence - coming from any quarter, any organization or any individual, constitutes the kind of activism that I think most of us agree should be condemned.

I think I've already spoken to how I believe that those that are following the kind of activism above, whether it is intentional or not, are defining the civil rights movement of today.

It has nothing to do with how aggrieved blacks should seek redress and no I do not think that they should "write letters to their congressmen."

So, I'll ask anyone who would like to respond: is the activism which has emerged since Ferguson - that which advocates various means to bring attention to perceived injustices perpetrated by police against blacks and includes that which incites violence against police - defining the Civil Rights movement of today?
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Yes.

Comment

• So, I'll ask anyone who would like to respond: is the activism which has emerged since Ferguson - that which advocates various means to bring attention to perceived injustices perpetrated by police against blacks and includes that which incites violence against police - defining the Civil Rights movement of today?
          My answer would be yes. IMO, nobody has ever taken up the mantle left by Martin Luther King. A lot of pretenders have tried, even in his own family, but they've failed miserably. MLK would have never - in any way, shape or form - even HINTED that he wanted to see "dead cops". In fact, I think MLK would be very pleased to see how many African Americans are now actively involved in all levels of the justice system.
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Once again show me one spokesperson for racial equality that has suggested killing police officers is either condoned or is a tactic that he or she believes will bring racial equality.(which I am sure we can both agree is the ultimate goal of the civil rights movement and has been since its inception) I assume nobody has responded to your "challenge" is that it is so ridiculous no rational response is needed. As the proponent of such a theory, the burden is upon you to prove it, not upon us to disprove it.

Comment

• " IMO, nobody has ever taken up the mantle left by Martin Luther King. A lot of pretenders have tried, even in his own family, but they've failed miserably.'

Could that opinion be clouded by the fact that you know of no known black leaders other than your three favorite whipping boys, Jesse Jackson Al Sharpton and President OBama?

Comment

• [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqQXmnMr_w8"]#Blacklivesmatter chants for dead cops - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Okay Stan, .. start naming the ones I have missed.

Jesse and Al have long claimed to be spokespersons for minorities.

Obama has had seven years as pResident to define a proper social justice stance, and has failed miserably.

Who have I missed that showed the class and integrity of Martin Luther King?

Comment

• So you parade out a group of idiots chanting for "dead cops"and suggest that these people define the civil rights movement in America. I assume that you intend to convey that this single demonstration expresses all of those people who have marched n support of BLM. Can you identify even one person who was leading this chant? Of course not. Pathetic to say the least.

Comment

• Stan, it isn't that any specific leader has implicitly incited violence. Rather it's a combination of factors that has spun things out of control. The media certainly has fanned the flames of anti-police rhetoric by playing the role of sensationalist provocateur instead of boringly reciting facts.

The same question can be turned around. Do you think the recent shootings of police in Dallas and Baton Rouge are somehow not related to black men being shot by the police? Have the perpetrators who ambushed police been radicalized in some way? If so, by whom? How?

There has been a steady drumbeat against the police built on a faulty premise that started with Trayvon Martin and then Michael Brown. In both situations trials/investigations found the homicides to be justifiable. But, with the help from a sensationist media, the narrative that they were murdered in cold blood was allowed to linger and fester to the point where it became a powder keg. And here we are.
                      Last edited by Mike; July 18, 2016, 07:46 AM.

Comment

• Well said, Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
                          So you parade out a group of idiots chanting for "dead cops"and suggest that these people define the civil rights movement in America. I assume that you intend to convey that this single demonstration expresses all of those people who have marched n support of BLM. Can you identify even one person who was leading this chant? Of course not. Pathetic to say the least.
                          The hateful outrage of a few does not represent the views of the vast majority of the more than 25,000 protesters who marched peacefully in New York on Dec. 13.
                          To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• here's a list to get your education started Liney. ( I guarantee many of these people you will denigrate, but that's ok. Many of them are used to such behavior from those who fail to understand the struggle. Its what led many of them into an activist life)

Majora Carter
                            Van Jones
                            .Cornel West
                            Henry Louis Gates,Jr.
                            Michael Eric Dyson
                            Alice Walker
                            Boyce Watkins
                            Melissa Harris-Perry
                            Tricia Rose,
                            Rosa Clemente.
                            Randall Robinson
                            Craig Watkins
                            John Conyers
                            Julian Bond
                            Michelle Alexander
                            Michelle Alexander
                            Kimberly Bryant
                            Ta-Nehisi Coates
                            Patrisse Cullors
                            Fania Davis
                            Bryan Stevenson
                            Ciara Taylor
                            Opal Tometi
                            Sarah Jackson
                            Ella Baker
                            James Hayes,

Comment

• Mike,
                              I hate protestors. I think they are useless and completely ineffective.

But there is no evidence that the shooters were part of or inspired by BLM.

They were both veterans, and were both part of anti-government movements, and were both gun owners. Maybe we should blame the military, the Bundys, or the NRA. (I'm guessing that those groups only inspire random kooks though and don't need to be suppressed or referred to as terrorist orgs)
                              To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by UMStan White View Post
                                here's a list to get your education started Liney. ( I guarantee many of these people you will denigrate, but that's ok. Many of them are used to such behavior from those who fail to understand the struggle. Its what led many of them into an activist life) .....
                                No disagreement with your list, Stan. None of these people, as far as I know - and I don't recognize all of them, have advocated for violence against police.

The problem is, as Mike points out, I have the perception, and I doubt I am alone, that the voices of reason among those you list that are advocates for civil rights and social justice, seem to be getting drowned out by the "steady drumbeat" of activism that advocates violence against police.

I do see that a good deal of this is coming from the press who would rather sensationalize circumstances surrounding the killings of police officers rather than report the "boring facts" or report what those who truly do not advocate violence and instead advocate for community involvement and respectability politics as the means to redress perceived grievances are saying.
                                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Working...
                                X