Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hack View Post
    59,628 people have been fired, suspended or stripped of accreditation in Turkey since the coup five days ago. Must have the world's fastest investigators over there...
    I'd recommend anyone interested in the ME, Iran and Turkey, in particular take a look at what's going on there following the failed military coup. IMO, its a sickening ending to a bright spot in that unsettled region at the hands of Erdogan with the future of that once vibrant country being much better off if the coup had been successful and, from all accounts, it nearly was. Erdogan is cleaning house beyond what would be considered appropriate.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
      I'd recommend anyone interested in the ME, Iran and Turkey, in particular take a look at what's going on there following the failed military coup. IMO, its a sickening ending to a bright spot in that unsettled region at the hands of Erdogan with the future of that once vibrant country being much better off if the coup had been successful and, from all accounts, it nearly was. Erdogan is cleaning house beyond what would be considered appropriate.
      Erdogan is garbage but I'm not sure things would be much different if the coup has succeeded. It'd be AKP party members being rounded up and thrown in jail right now. Might've even been worse as the AKP obviously has greater popular support.

Comment

• You might still have a balance of power though. Erdogan is about to kill the place structurally by strengthening the presidency at the expense of every other institution.

Gonna be fascinating if there is an actual extradition battle with the US over Gulen.

Comment

• It is, however, going to be a test of the power of capital. Turkey is an industrial powerhouse. Economic power is diffused. If export markets are impacted - in particular if semi-finished goods and raw materials become too expensive to import -- that would really hurt. This could or could not lead to another financial crisis there. Long history of those too. Erdogan would have to be pretty talented to survive that.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
            You might still have a balance of power though. Erdogan is about to kill the place structurally by strengthening the presidency at the expense of every other institution.

Gonna be fascinating if there is an actual extradition battle with the US over Gulen.
            I think it's fair to question what balance of power actually exists if ultimately it's the military that gets to decide if a government stays or goes.

Comment

• Question for the people holding their nose and voting for Hillary: if the choice were HRC or Mitt who would get your vote?

Question for the people holding their nose and voting for Trump: if the choice were Trump or Kerry who would get your vote?
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Fair. Note that few Turks supported the coup. They have been through enough of them to know better. But I don't know that that would be the least-bad situation. At least they might have been able to repair judicial independence and maintain academic freedom.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                  Question for the people holding their nose and voting for Hillary: if the choice were HRC or Mitt who would get your vote?

Question for the people holding their nose and voting for Trump: if the choice were Trump or Kerry who would get your vote?
                  Lessig and Lessig.

Comment

• Boy, I think I'd actually vote for Mitt. I'm 100% sure I'd vote for Kasich over her. Maybe Rubio.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                      But Megyn Kelly gets a lot of air time. So there's that.
                      I like Megyn Kelly on Foxy Fixed News. I spend an inordinate amount of time mentally undressing her.
                      "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Eric Trump is actually a good speaker, but has a shockingly close resemblance to the character Tyrell Wellick from "Mr. Robot."
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          Boy, I think I'd actually vote for Mitt. I'm 100% sure I'd vote for Kasich over her. Maybe Rubio.

Same. This is the weakest set of tickets I have ever seen.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                            Same. This is the weakest set of tickets I have ever seen.
                            This is my 5th Presidential election I could vote in and the first time I truly disliked both candidates. But I'm freaking scared of the incompetence and possibly even fascism Trump will usher in. So I'll vote for the crook/Wall Street shill.

Even going back to '88, '92', and '96, I didn't hate everybody.

Comment

• BTW, Ted Cruz tonight...lol...committing political suicide? Or will conservatives think he was a hero in a couple years?

Comment

• Meanwhile Newt reminding us that thanks to Obama/Hillary, Muslims are gonna kill us all

Comment

Working...
                                X