Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    Tabasco is perfect for the certain gentleman who requests A-1 sauce at Morton's
    Correct.

Comment

• Sriracha and Cholula. lmao. Okay. That answers that.

Anyway, Tabasco has just three incredients: peppers, a bit of salt and some vinegar....all aged three years. Just simple, perfect.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I'm with Oracle, but Tabasco is fine.

IMO you judge a hot sauce by its lack of sodium. Peppers have such wonderful unique flavor and are an opportunity to let other tastes do most of the talking. Mexican>Thai>other SE Asian>the rest. Indian heat in particular can go fuck itself. All heat and no flavor.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
          I'm with Oracle, but Tabasco is fine.

IMO you judge a hot sauce by its lack of sodium. Peppers have such wonderful unique flavor and are an opportunity to let other tastes do most of the talking. Mexican>Thai>other SE Asian>the rest. Indian heat in particular can go fuck itself. All heat and no flavor.

Tabasco has less sodium than Cholulua or Sriracha. And kidding aside, those are okay sauces, but they just aren't quite hot enough.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Agree, they're not quite spicy enough, but I like the flavor a lot. Both are 2nd choices in their appropriate group. Tabasco is just waaaay to bland for me.

Comment

• I like Cholula together with others. The chipotle one is great blended with the actual chipotles, to dial down the heat. The verde is good for making guac. I love the tang of the original, which I would guess is really similar to Tabasco in peppers used, but just a little tamer. I might do an original Cholula vs. Tabasco test, just to revisit this.

What I really need is a good avo/cilantro salsa verde. Never had a great one outside Mexico. Trader Joe's makes the best I've found, but I add some Yucateco habanero to make it hot enough.

Comment

• I love the taste of tabasco peppers. They are anything but bland to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                  She wil take us back into Iraq, but thats going to happen regardless of who wins in November. Your notion of isolationism gaining popularity is, sadly, off-base imo.

She will try to keep a lid on the commitment, but with limited NATO involvement it won't be enough to crush ISIS alone. The Right will then accuse her of being soft on terror, per SOP. Then it gets interesting.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                  I see a lot more discussion of people want us to contract the size of our military and stop policing the world. I'd say that's more isolationist. I think the idea of the US protecting investments or key interest had lost some of its steam. That doesn't mean everyone feels that way or the majority. I think the there was some trending of larger support. jmo
                  Last edited by entropy; July 21, 2016, 02:07 PM.
                  Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Tabasco is perfect for the certain gentleman who requests A-1 sauce at Morton's

LOL

Comment

• On a related note, I read an article a while back, about ethnic food in general but Indian food in particular. An Indian chef was bemoaning how so many of his customers just want spicy. Lots of people think spicy translates to authenticity when the opposite is actually true. Extreme spice hides the flavor of the actual ingredients and was traditionally used to cover up bland or inferior quality food.

Comment

• Isn't it a blend of them? Just guessing but it's gotta be very similar to the Cholula blend. Both have that same basic tang.

Comment

• What's funny about that is DSL trotted out that Morton's line like that's a good steakhouse.

Morton's is the A-1 Sauce of the premium steakhouse chains.

Comment

• I think the idea of the US protecting investments or key interest had lost some of its steam.

I think the average American would be shocked to the extent to which the diplomatic and military muscle of the country is used on behalf of commercial interests.

Comment

• hack.. agree. That said, I think most people believe the US in the middle east because of oil and nothing else. So there is probably some regionalism to the understanding.

Comment

On a related note, I read an article a while back, about ethnic food in general but Indian food in particular. An Indian chef was bemoaning how so many of his customers just want spicy. Lots of people think spicy translates to authenticity when the opposite is actually true. Extreme spice hides the flavor of the actual ingredients and was traditionally used to cover up bland or inferior quality food.

I agree. You don't want it too hot. Go to a tourist shop in NOLA. You will see ridiculous sauces like "NUCLEAR DEATH XXXX: ARMAGEDDON's FIRE" with 70,000 scoville units or whatever. Too much.

5000 scoville units or so is perfect. At least to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X