No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call it like you see it. You'll do great.

And if you don't, we'll all make fun of you mercilessly for the next several years!

No pressure, bud!

(Also, all the more reason to come and see us Saturday. You know, debrief a bit, see the gang, have fun.)

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
      o...m...g ....

I got an e-mail earlier this week, asking me to be a member of a "make-up" crew Friday night, because the crew that originally had the game, mistakenly double-booked themselves.

So, I volunteered. I should have known never to volunteer ...

I get an e-mail this morning that gives us our pre-game instructions, where to meet, locker room assignments, game contacts, etc....

............and I find out that I've been assigned to be the WH.........

I have never been the WH for a varsity contest. I've worked youth leagues, freshman and JV as a WH, but never a varsity.

And, .. this isn't a blow-off game either. Its a home game for a recent state champion.

I'll be in Ann Arbor this afternoon. If I can avoid throwing up, I'll be stopping at Honig's to buy a white hat. I don't even own one.

yikes .....
      Liney...perhaps I can help...with regards to being a WH...follow these simple rules:

1. SLOW DOWN. When you think you are going too slow...SLOW DOWN SOME MORE. The biggest mistake you will make is rushing to do something. Slow down...take a deep breath...analyze the situation. People will not remember if you were deliberate but right...but they will kill you if you are quick and wrong.

2. Hopefully you have a good umpire. Nothing sucks more than to be a WH with a shitty umpire. He will help you with game admin.

3. LEARN THE PENALTY SIGNALS SO IT IS SECOND NATURE. REVIEW THEM! KNOW THE YARDAGE AND WHETHER IT IS AUTO FIRST DOWN OR LOSS OF DOWN.

4. Know when to give the head coach a little leeway and when to put them in their place. Pick your battles wisely.

5. Ask the coaches in your pre-game conference with them the following questions:

a. Legally Equipped? b. Unusual Plays? c. Get Back Coach? d. Review Game Balls and who will be assisting with the rotation e. captains f. when do coint toss and where g. ASK IF THEIR KICKERS AND PASSERS ARE RIGHTY OR LEFTY

6. SLOW DOWN!
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• so sad..

Not too many details yet. This is from LJS...

Two adults and two children were killed and several other children hurt in a Wednesday afternoon accident between a semitrailer and a school bus near Blue Hill.

Travis Witte was driving on a county road near the land he farmed with his dad when he collided with a Blue Hill Community School District bus. Witte, 21, died in the crash, said his aunt, Sherri Lynn of Blue Hill.

Norman Witte had gone ahead of his son and had just gotten to the family's farm about nine miles southeast of town when the accident happened between 4:30 and 5 p.m., Lynn said.

The Webster County Sheriff's Office said the driver of the bus also was killed, as were two passengers. Three children, ages 6 to 10, were being treated at a hospital in Hastings and one child was flown to a hospital in Omaha.

"He was just a real farm boy," Julie Zimmerman said of her nephew Travis Witte, adding that he decorated his house in a John Deere theme. "He loved farming and everything to do with it.

"He and his dad were just trying to make a go of it. They were always together, always working. And for them, it was a family operation."

Travis Witte was a groomsman at his older sister's wedding last month and probably would've performed the same duty at another sister's wedding, which is scheduled for April, Zimmerman said.

"He will be sorely missed," she said.

Norman and Penny Witte have a younger daughter as well.

Zimmerman said her nephew played football in high school and loved sports. He would have been devastated to know he was involved in a fatal accident with a school bus with kids on it, she said.

Webster County Attorney Sara Bockstadter was at the scene of the accident Wednesday night and could not be reached for comment.
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
          o...m...g ....

I got an e-mail earlier this week, asking me to be a member of a "make-up" crew Friday night, because the crew that originally had the game, mistakenly double-booked themselves.

So, I volunteered. I should have known never to volunteer ...

I get an e-mail this morning that gives us our pre-game instructions, where to meet, locker room assignments, game contacts, etc....

............and I find out that I've been assigned to be the WH.........

I have never been the WH for a varsity contest. I've worked youth leagues, freshman and JV as a WH, but never a varsity.

And, .. this isn't a blow-off game either. Its a home game for a recent state champion.

I'll be in Ann Arbor this afternoon. If I can avoid throwing up, I'll be stopping at Honig's to buy a white hat. I don't even own one.

yikes .....
          In those old Westerns, you could always tell who the good guys were---they always wore the white hats. I think the same applies here, you're wearing the white hat because finally someone recognized (through your "volunteerism", maybe?) that you truly are one of the good guys.

Comment

• Good luck man! You'll do fine...

Comment

• Thanks for the good advice, Wiz. I think you're spot-on about SLOW DOWN. I'll keep that in mind.

I found out that I was assigned the WH because an assigner recommended me when he heard my name was in the group of volunteers. So, I guess I've made a friend or two along the way. Now, if I can just get them to say "yes" at playoff time ...

We've got one "newbie" on the crew. First year kid. Not sure whether I want to hide him at the "U" or put him on the chains. That may be a last second decision in the pre-game meeting.

I've spoken with all the guys assigned to the crew. They seem fired up and ready to go. I guess we'll find out at about 7:00 pm tomorrow night....
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Good Luck liney...you'll do fine.
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I have no doubts you will do your best. This is all anyone is ever capable of.
                  Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Time to fess up. Who here was this?

Comment

• "Who here was this?" A woman from Ohio with Ohio values. your wife or your sister I'd guess.

Comment

• Michigan even has to import its women from Ohio. Stunning

Comment

• Michigan's ``endowment'' is bigger. That's why your women smuggle themselves up here.

Comment

• Well, our whores at any rate

Comment

• Jim Calhoun retiring from UConn!

Comment

• For anyone who is curious ..

I was the R for a Varsity football game for the first time in my football career last Friday evening at Saginaw Nouvel. This was a game that was scheduled at the last moment, due to Nouvel having an open date on their schedule. A team from Ontario came over to play them (Windsor Villanova Academy?) and it turned out to be a pretty good ballgame. Nouvel won it 14-0, but it was 0-0 at halftime. Nouvel is a defending state champion.

I had a crew of 2 veterans (3 including myself) and 2 rookies. Fortunately, the rookies knew something about football, being former players themselves. The other two veterans did a great job, making me look good.

I got turned around a few times, made a few minor mistakes that nobody else seemed to notice. Overall, the night went pretty well. No major penalties. Our officiating had nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

We played in a driving rainstorm from the end of the 1st quarter to the end of the game. We were absolutely soaked. Our locker room had standing water all over the floor, from us and our uniforms dripping with water. But, overall .. a good night. I told the guys before the game that the first priority for us was to have fun. That seemed to relax everyone, and everybody did their job well.

I wouldn't want to be the "R" all the time, though. I enjoy the "U" and the "LJ" much more.
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X