Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Department of Labor's OSHA fines North Bergen, NJ laundry company
    $219,000 for safety hazards

NORTH BERGEN, N.J. – The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Prestige Industries LLC, doing business as Prestige, with four repeat and five serious safety violations found at its commercial laundry facility in North Bergen. OSHA's October 2012 investigation was initiated in response to a complaint and resulted in $219,000 in proposed penalties.
    The repeat violations, carrying an $185,500 penalty, include the company's failure to protect workers from unguarded machinery, establish a lockout/tagout program and procedures for controlling energy sources, and provide energy control training for workers who perform maintenance on machines. A repeat violation is issued when an employer previously has been cited for the same or a similar violation of a standard, regulation, rule or order at any other facility in federal enforcements states within the last five years. The same violations were cited in 2012 following a worker's death after being caught in an unguarded machine at its Bayshore, N.Y., facility.
    The serious violations, with a $33,500 penalty, were due to electrical hazards; an inadequate confined space program and failure to identify permit required confined spaces; and no hazard communication program, training and material safety data sheets. A serious citation is issued when there is substantial probability that death or serious physical harm could result from a hazard about which the employer knew or should have known.
    "The safety hazards present at this facility pose serious risks to workers and must be immediately corrected," said Kris Hoffman, director of OSHA's Parsippany Area Office. "OSHA will continue to hold employers legally accountable when they fail to provide safe workplaces."

US Labor Department's OSHA fines Ball Aerosol and Specialty Container Inc.
    $589,000 for exposing workers to amputation hazards from unguarded machinery
    Company also placed in OSHA's Severe Violator Enforcement Program

HUBBARD, Ohio – The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited Ball Aerosol and Specialty Container with 11 safety violations, including seven willful and three repeat, for exposing workers to machine guarding hazards at its Hubbard metal container manufacturing facility. Proposed fines total $589,000.

OSHA initiated an inspection of the facility on Oct. 17, 2012, after receiving a complaint that alleged Ball Aerosol continued to expose machine operators to unguarded hazardous machinery, even though the employer had been cited by OSHA for lack of machine guarding on the same equipment in 2009. OSHA's inspection found that the company knowingly permitted workers to operate the machines without proper guarding. The inspection revealed that the guarding was not installed or was removed because it slowed material positioning and production output.

"Ball Aerosol's management made a decision to continue to expose machine operators to serious amputation hazards," said Nick Walters, OSHA's regional administrator in Chicago. "Workers should not be asked to take such risks, and OSHA will not tolerate such disregard for worker safety."

Six willful, egregious citations were issued for inadequate machine guarding over the blades of slitter machines. The citations are being issued as willful because the company certified abatement for machine guarding on much of this equipment in 2009 and had a history of machine guarding violations in the past. OSHA also found that the company knowingly continued to violate agency requirements each time the machinery was placed in operation.

A seventh willful citation was issued for lack of machine guarding over nip points and rotating parts on feed tables that was also cited in 2009. Lack of machine guarding exposes operators to amputation hazards of the hands and fingers, which may enter the danger zone during machine operation. A willful violation is one committed with intentional, knowing or voluntary disregard for the law's requirement, or plain indifference to employee safety and health.

Three repeat safety violations were cited for failing to provide fire extinguisher training to employees; provide machine guarding to protect operators from rotating parts, nip and pinch points in machine areas; and to guard the blades at two mechanical guillotine shears.

A repeat violation exists when an employer previously has been cited for the same or a similar violation of a standard, regulation, rule or order at any other facility in federal enforcement states within the last five years. These violations were previously cited during the 2009 inspection.

One serious citation was issued for exposing workers to falls of approximately 10 feet while working on a platform with open sides. A serious violation occurs when there is substantial probability that death or serious physical harm could result from a hazard about which the employer knew or should have known.

Because of the hazards and the violations cited, Ball Aerosol has been placed in OSHA's Severe Violator Enforcement Program, which mandates targeted follow-up inspections to ensure compliance with the law. OSHA's SVEP focuses on recalcitrant employers that endanger workers by committing willful, repeat or failure-to-abate violations. Under the program, OSHA may inspect any of the employer's facilities if it has reasonable grounds to believe there are similar violations.

The company, headquartered in Broomfield, Colo., produces small metal containers for use by a variety of food, beverage and chemical industries. The company employs about 12,000 workers, operates 31 production plants in the U.S. and has facilities in Asia, Europe, South America and Canada. The Hubbard facility employs 57 workers and specializes in the production of three-piece welded paint and general lines cans.
    Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• You can make an argument that the agency doesn't pursue micro-violations enough, but blowing up something so badly that it goes beyond the fence is a different story. Between fines, civil suits, lost production, and rebuilding, these guys will be fortunate to be in business in a few years.
      Last edited by Hannibal; April 22, 2013, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
        It was obvious immediately that the Boston Marathon explosions were bombs.

The Texas fertilizer plant was almost certainly an unfortunate leak of combustibles finding an ignition source. These things happen. They are accidents.
        What's noticeable is the gargantuan difference in approach. I think the plant explosion was most certainly unfortunately. I note the uncharacteristically parsed language on your behalf. You typically don't beat around the bush, but here, you have. I don't know either way. I'm just saying that room exists to wonder, and the inability to deny combined with the lack of curiosity at a more deadly event is strange.

Comment

• I guess my point is that the difference in approach is totally justified, because of the circumstances. If by "lack of curiosity", you mean a lack of curiosity with the Texas plant explosion, there will be a lot of investigation into the matter by various government agencies. It will get the scrutiny that it deserves.

Comment

• Rev. Mr. Michael Rogers, S.J.

Jesuit Deacon

Dear Dzhokhar, I Can't Hate You

Posted: 04/21/2013 7:02 pm

Editor's note: As of 21st April, Dzhokhar and Tamerlen Tsarnaev are considered suspects in the Boston marathon bombings and have not been convicted of the crime.
            Dear Dzhokhar,
            You don't know me, but you tried to kill my family.
            You couldn't have known, but my brother ran bandit in the marathon and trained for months. My sister-in-law was an amazing and supportive wife as she always is and was ready to run the last 5 miles with him. Your bomb was at the finish line that they were trying to cross.
            My mother, father and sister were waiting for them at the finish line. You didn't know it, but my mother thinks that she saw you down there. My sister is only three years younger than you, and you set off a bomb in front of her.
            You don't know me, but you tried to kill some friends of mine.
            One of my best and closest friends was working in the store in front of which you or your brother laid down a bomb. That bomb exploded, and gave her the worst day of her life.
            I was a high school teacher, your bomb wounded one of my most promising students with shrapnel.
            Dear Dzhokhar, you tried to destroy a community that I left behind for Rome, but from which I draw so much of my strength and identity.
            You killed a child who was a part of the community who made me the man I am today. Martin may have grown up to be a BC High boy and his family is well-loved in the community which surrounds that school.
            You tried to drive a city which gave me courage in the face of cancer into complete and utter fear. But you tried to do this to a city which knew how to make a 10-year-old unafraid.
            Dear Dzhokhar, you may have crossed the threshold of the building in which I lived to compete in an athletic event, but we have never met, and you tried to kill my family, a friend, my students, and destroy my community.
            Dear Dzhokhar, you failed. Did you ever think that you would make it out? The US captured bin Laden and Saddam. There was no chance you would escape. This is not the measure of your success, though. Dear Dzhokhar, you failed because Boston was neither bowed nor afraid. You set off a bomb, and the city gave blood for victims. You escaped initial capture and the city opened its doors to strangers. You were at large and making more bombs, and we gathered in prayer at Garvey Park and the cathedral. You went on a rampage, and people stayed home in an orderly fashion and opened their homes to the police during the search. Dear Dzhokhar, you failed, because light cast out the darkness, and the man who knew that his boat just didn't look right wasn't afraid to call it in.
            Dear Dzhokhar, for all of this, I can't hate you... Today I thought about the fact that you are only 19 ... you are just a kid. You must have been so afraid. You were a victim like so many are victims. You were brought something you shouldn't have been brought into because you likely didn't and couldn't know any better.
            I am glad that you are going to prison, and I hope that you will have many long years there in supermax in Colorado. I hope that no one I love will ever be threatened by you again, but I can't hate you.
            I can't hate you because whatever you brought into Boston was enough hate for a good long while, I won't and can't hate any more.
            I can't hate you because I remember being 19, I thought many things were a good idea which weren't. I never would have went where you were with that, but I was certainly not an adult at 19.
            I can't hate you because, even though you did unspeakable things ... somehow you are still my brother and your death can never be my gain.
            I can't hate you, and not just because I am a Catholic, and a Christian, and because in a couple of months I will be a priest, I am a human and I simply can't hate you.
            Dear Dzhokhar, I still have hope for you.
            The rest of your life will be in prison. I have seen men change their lives there. I hope that you won't be executed, because I know that we can hold you, safely, for the rest of your life.
            I can't say what your story might be there but I know that I, as a Christian, and you, as a Muslim, believe God to be merciful... so I can't help but have hope for you...
            Dear Dzhokhar, you're a kid. I can't hate you, or fear you. I am glad you are in custody, I am glad you can't hurt anyone else or yourself anymore, but I can't hate you.. and I WON'T fear you.
            Dear Dzhokhar, I will pray for you. Next year, when my friend and my brother cross that finish line on Boylston, your brother's cause will have lost for good, but I will pray that you will know, somehow still, the love that my brother, sister-in-law, mother, father, sister, friends, and students all have given me.
            Dear Dzhokhar, I will pray for you. When the first pitch is thrown on Patriots day at Fenway, I will pray that somehow you will know joy... the joy that makes us fully human and offers the possibility of real repentance... the joy that Red Sox baseball fills me with every year.
            Dear Dzhokhar, I will pray for you next year when the first shot is fired in the annual reenactment of the battle of Lexington in Concord, that you will come to know that PEACE and LOVE are the only ways in which world will ever be changed.
            Dear Dzhokhar, I don't and can't hate you. I am glad you are in custody, but you are just a kid, and you are lost. I will love and pray for you, because somehow your sin was turned for good, and my community and the people I love will only be stronger in the end.
            Dear Dzhokhar, godspeed.
            Last edited by Tony G; April 22, 2013, 05:31 PM.
            Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• That's nice but, turn the other cheek is a notion not in the repertoire of behavior among sensible Israeli Jews.

We need to take a page from Hebrew teachings ...... kill the aggressor before he kills you.

From where I sit, it appears that's been the approach Internationally. I'm all for keeping that approach up.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The Jesuit isn't saying turn the other cheek and offer it to be slapped. He is saying turn away from hate. The thing with your approach is this question. Who is the aggressor? What persons right now can we go out and kill, knowing they are planning violence against us?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony G View Post
                  The thing with your approach is this question. Who is the aggressor? What persons right now can we go out and kill, knowing they are planning violence against us?
                  This is a difficult question to discuss not knowing the world view of the persons who want to enter a discussion on this topic. I can see the potential for injecting a lot of discord to this forum by discussing it but its an important question.

Recorded world history has unquestionably demonstrated the evil and cruelty of mankind. Therefore, "the price of freedom is eternal vigilance," Thomas Jefferson wrote, seems an appropriate underpinning to a sensible world view.

There is always a trade-off between a vigilant surveillance that is overly intrusive and nefarious and one that serves to protect a nation's interest and its citizens.

Let's put it this way. I am for vigilant surveillance that identifies enemies before they can strike lethal blows. That used to be a lot more clear cut and attainable during the age of responsible behavior between sovereign states and before the age of proxy or stateless terrorism used as a means of political leverage.

So, with that world view in mind, using technological advantages you might have, identify the enemy, find and meet him on your terms, not his, and neutralize his capacity to do harm.

For the most part, civilized nations of the world, working together to combat the evils of terrorism over the last decade or so, have done a pretty good job of that. I don't think you can eliminate hatred as a means of defending yourself. It's a nice thought but it just isn't practical as a sole means of defending national interests in the big scheme of things.

Should it be a part of your overall strategy? Of course and a noble one at that. But you damn sure better be prepared for the likelihood that hatred that has lethal consequences, for whatever reasons it exists, will continue.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• That sounds more reasoned than "kill the aggressor before he kills you". I have heard some in the last week define that philosophy as "Kill all the Muslims before they kill us".

Comment

• For those that refuse to "spread their cheeks" but prefer Old Testament, eye for an eye, no quarter or capitulation, we have State Senator Greg Ball, showing the same.

[youtube]zL-hbppJPfA[/youtube]
                      Last edited by Optimus Prime; April 23, 2013, 11:11 AM.
                      ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Reminiscent of the late 90s when Florida's electric chair wasn't working right, and there was a debate in the state legislature about what to do -- fix it, switch to lethal injection, etc. Resulted in one of my favorite quotes in a newspaper ever, from some state rep: ``I don't care how we do it, but the important thing is that we keep executing people.''

Comment

• Kill the bastards.
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• But who are the bastards? Them today, you tomorrow?

Comment

• The bastards.
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Here I sit in the Sioux City airport (SUX) awaiting yet ANOTHER American Airlines delayed flight. Checked out the display honoring "Bud" Day - Marine aviator, POW and Medal of Honor winner. I noticed that his NVA POW 'pajamas' are scarlet and grey. Coincidence? I think not.
                                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X