X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The compromised second version?

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
      That is the core of the problem. Most Democrats are subsidized, either by holding government jobs, or by welfare, or by some combination of the two.
      I don't have any idea why you insist on insulting people with provably false statements like this. If you weren't such an asshole, you might be able to actually convince people you have a point.
      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Most corporations are subsidized as well. And I can think of quite a few Republican groups who are subsidized, given the Farm Bill. Or independent get-off-my-land types like Cliven Bundy who are really just teat suckers extraordinare.

Really, Geezer. Let's just argue the facts. It's been a few weeks now; please quit it with this bullshit. Your man won the election. You got what you wanted. Why react to it by retreating into this sorta thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
          No. What I am saying is that a proper understanding of the real world makes you able to predict what will likely happen. For example, last year there was a test of light being bent by the curvature of space, as Einstein's General Theory predicted about 100 years ago. The Theory correctly predicted the test they were doing. Various other "tests" have shown the Theory to be predictive. The fact that Einstein's Theory has been correct increases the probability his other predictions will be accurate.

We know that John Kennedy and Ronald Reagan both cut taxes and the economy boomed (in Reagan's case the Dow went up 700%, I heard today). It is logical that, should Trump cut taxes, the economy will boom. That is what I mean as predictive. Something turns out the way you predict it will when you propose it. Of course dealing with Economics or Politics does not have the precision that mathematics would.

Again, when I talk of Global Warming, I'm always talking about anthropogenic global warming. The earth is warming, and I can't believe anyone contests that. Hey, I root for the Michigan Wolverines and there are no wolverines in Michigan. It's like Obama's birth announcement. Anyone who denies global warming has the same problem as birthers. Some things are simply facts.
          And we know that household incomes have been stagnant since the 70s, and household debt has risen. Given that, however much the Dow is up is proof that the very logical question is ``growth for whom, exactly"? So if you were predicting that everyone will benefit you were either wrong or disingenuous, or some combination of both.

But, can I please discuss these things with the smarter version of you? You're aware that there are more than two variables in any one of those equations.

Comment

• No organization can be efficient if it cannot fire employees who are not doing the job.

Telecommunications companies can fire people. Let's have a show of hands: does anyone thing their cable/phone/internet provider is an efficient company?

Comment

• Hack - I admire your idealism, but the dude is a lost cause. The ignore button is a great thing.

Comment

• Geezer seems to be going through a post-Trump obstinancy. I guess we're all dark-arts practitioners now, even in the context of increasing the misleading-bullshit content on the OT thread here in the forum. But we could see Other Geezer return. That's a much more interesting conservative to talk with than most others.

Comment

• SLF: about my statement that "most" Democrats are subsidized
                  I don't have any idea why you insist on insulting people with provably false statements like this. If you weren't such an asshole, you might be able to actually convince people you have a point.
                  "Most" means 50.1%. That is the clearly provable number. The Ds got roughly 65 million votes for President, so "most" would be roughly 38 million. There are 48 million on food stamps alone.

But your response indicates to me that if I were not an asshole, you might be persuaded on the issue I was talking about, education for AAs in the inner cities. What would you propose? What would any of you guys propose? Of course, my point is that you simply will not discuss the matter other than to say we need to spend more on education even though that has proven ineffective for the last 40 years or so.

Hack:
                  Most corporations are subsidized as well. And I can think of quite a few Republican groups who are subsidized, given the Farm Bill. Or independent get-off-my-land types like Cliven Bundy who are really just teat suckers extraordinare.
                  I live in an agricultural area. I know of only one farmer who voted for Trump. You are correct that farmers are massively subsidized. I'm against subsidization of the partisans of either party. But again, you focus on one sentence and don't respond to the thrust of my argument. We were discussing ways of breaking the cycle of poverty and racial discrimination that Jeff and I agree does occur. What would you propose, Hack. What would you do to improve the prospects of AAs in the inner city?

Comment

• And we know that household incomes have been stagnant since the 70s, and household debt has risen.
                    No, real household income rose substantially over the period 1982-1999. It then dropped and has just recently attained equivalence to 1999.

When you ask "growth for whom..?", I'll concede that the rich have done better since 1999. I'll also concede that there are multiple variables involved.

Really, Geezer. Let's just argue the facts. It's been a few weeks now; please quit it with this bullshit. Your man won the election. You got what you wanted. Why react to it by retreating into this sorta thing?
                    Hack, if you are going to try to tell me that median household income has been stagnant since the 1970s, and then call what I say bullshit, you'll just get the same old fool who sees things for what they are. You just cannot have your own facts. Maybe you should read a wider range of sources than you are currently.

Comment

• Trump is yet to have held any sort of press conference and it's been 35 days since he won. Since Nixon every other President has held one within 9 days, tops.

He announced one for thursday to discuss how he will separate from his businesses, but has now 'postponed' it till 2017.

Comment

• And I'll say again, you cannot control the output of any organization without being able to control the inputs. We will never improve education if we cannot fire poor teachers and professors (which implys we are allowed to distinguish between competent and incompetent educators).

Why do you guys support tenure? What possible social good does tenure promote?

Comment

• So private-sector entities are inefficient on purpose?

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/LukeRussert/status/808695850893512705[/ame]

[ame]https://twitter.com/LukeRussert/status/808695850893512705[/ame]

interesting thread..
                            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• So true.

Comment

• Plenty of people on government assistance voted for Trump, like I had mentioned earlier Clay County in Kentucky went 86 percent for Trump and 60 percent of the population is on Medicaid.

Comment

Working...
                                X