No announcement yet.

Nebraska...not feeling Frosty anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Especially after the game if the Huskers win.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Easy. East until they smell it. South until they step in it.

Comment

• Pelini expects to move quickly on coaching hire

Posted by: Brian Christopherson on December 8, 2011 at 10:00PM CST
        Bo Pelini told the Husker Sports Network on Thursday during an interview taped from Orlando that he expects to "move pretty quickly" when it comes to filling the opening left by departed defensive coordinator Carl Pelini.

"I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do," Pelini said.

The coach noted that he's been flying around a lot since the season ended, kept busy by recruiting.

So while he said he has a good feeling about the direction he wants to go in filling out his coaching staff, he added: "I haven't had time to implement it."
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• well, not sure what this means, but intensity is up from last years Holiday bowl prep..

=======

Huskers feisty, Hardrick says
          Posted by: Steve Sipple on December 8, 2011 at 6:48PM CST

Nebraska worked through a full-scale practice Thursday for the second time since the Nov. 25 end of the regular season (the Huskers also practiced Tuesday).

Thursday's session apparently was, um, spirited.

"A lot of competing," senior tackle Yoshi Hardrick said. "A couple fights today."

He liked the intensity, especially compared with last year's dull practices in advance of a lifeless Holiday Bowl loss to Washington.

"We don't want to end like last year," Hardrick said. "I had that sour taste in my mouth until we played Washington again (this season, a 51-38 win). I just think we all have to come together."

Husker running back Rex Burkhead said the team has had two "really good" bowl practices since defeating Iowa.

Burkhead sat out Thursday but hopes to be back at practice next week.

"There are a few things with my ankle they're trying to heal up really quick," he said.

Burkhead spoke to a mass of reporters -- about 15 of them. An awkward moment occurred when he was asked if he would like to see someone within the Husker coaching staff promoted to fill the defensive coordinator vacancy created by Carl Pelini's exit to Florida Atlantic.

"Uh, you know, I don't really have an opinion on that right now," he said, polite as ever.

Nebraska returns to the practice field Saturday. The Huskers apparently are set to practice four times next week. All told, they plan 13 or 14 practices in advance of the Jan. 2 Capital One Bowl.

Comment

• Bo Pelini was in Orlando, Fla., for a bowl luncheon with Steve Spurrier. Carl Pelini was punching a timecard down at Florida Atlantic. The other full-time Husker assistants were pounding the pavement recruiting.

Back in Lincoln, the show went on Thursday, as the Huskers held their second bowl practice in preparation for the Capital One Bowl game against South Carolina.

Oh, sure, the practice got a little rowdy under the watch of grad assistants. A good kind of rowdy, said senior offensive tackle Yoshi Hardrick.

"The last couple days it's just been a fight, backyard football," Hardrick said. "We're just having fun, out there competing, a couple fights ... I'm just glad to see people competing."

Nebraska may be down a full-time coach at the moment, but the Huskers say they're focused and quite enthused as they prepare to take on a 10-win Southeastern Conference team.

Beats the heck out of playing Washington again. In the Holiday Bowl. Again.

"Last year, we were pretty relaxed," Hardrick said. "Nobody wanted to practice. Nobody cared. We were playing Washington again. So we went out there and it was a wakeup call. We just went through the motions all week, and we showed up to the game like we're just going to beat them like we did the first time.

"The big thing is, (strength coach James) Dobson said, ?Man, we're not going through what we went through last year. Hard work pays off.' It's on the seniors and leaders, if we let that happen again."

Practice skirmishes are better than listlessness.

Players also don't expect the departure of their four-year defensive coordinator to be a distraction or major hindrance in their preparations for the Jan. 2 bowl game.

Senior safety Austin Cassidy said, as much as anything, players were excited for Carl Pelini's opportunity at Florida Atlantic.

"Selfishly, we would have liked to see him stay, but I know he's going to have quite a turnaround down there," Cassidy said. "And this kind of challenge is right up his alley. I know he's the kind of guy that loves something like this and he's going to hit it head-on. I know he's going to have a lot of FAU fans in the Midwest now."

The question of the week around here is who will replace Carl Pelini on Nebraska's staff? And when?

During an interview from Orlando on the Husker Sports Network, Bo Pelini said he was looking to move quickly in filling the position, but hadn't had the time to implement any moves because of the hours he's been devoting to recruiting.

"I have a pretty good idea what I'm going to do," Pelini said.

While the names of outside candidates such as Ron Zook and Mike Stoops have been tossed about in speculation, some have wondered if Pelini might stay in-house in naming his next defensive coordinator.

If that were the case, a lead candidate might be John Papuchis, Nebraska's defensive line coach and special-teams and recruiting coordinator.

NU players aren't going to get caught up in that discussion.

Senior linebacker Lavonte David said he doesn't know who the next defensive coordinator will be.

And even if Nebraska is a coach down for a little bit, junior defensive end Cameron Meredith doesn't expect it to deter preparations.

"Bo knows what he's doing," Meredith said. "And J.P. (Papuchis) will have (our line) ready. Obviously, we're going to miss Carl, but I think we'll be fine."

It helps when you don't have to search hard for motivation.

This bowl game provides that in a way that last year's didn't.

Not only is Nebraska looking to win a 10th game this season, but hopes to do it against a team from the conference most everyone says is the best.

"Anytime you get to play someone new, especially an SEC opponent, especially as good as they are, it's really exciting," Cassidy said. "It's going to be a good measuring stick for us."

Comment

• By Randy York

Eric Warfield played on two Nebraska national championship teams (1995 and ’97) and a third (’96) that almost made it to another national title game. All eight of his seasons in the NFL were spent with the Kansas City Chiefs, where he finished with 286 tackles, 20 interceptions, five fumble recoveries, three touchdowns and unfortunately, a suspended driver’s license that forced him to re-examine his life and his priorities. The result was becoming a student assistant coach at the same time he returned to Nebraska to complete requirements for the bachelor’s degree he will receive in Sociology in May. We asked Warfield what’s it like returning to his alma mater in a role he had never even considered until this year. Here are highlights of what we call Eric Warfield’s Journal: Life lessons in Humility and Opportunity:

“Being back on the sideline as a coach, I have a much different perspective than I had as a player. I’ve never viewed myself as a coach and never thought I would like being called coach, but as the days go by and the players ask for advice, I appreciate the title of “Coach” more and more. The word makes me sound older than what I think I am and accepting my age may be the hardest part since I felt strongly that I could still compete and at a high level. My goal was to educate myself on the game of football, especially since I’ve only played defense. I wanted to understand all phases, including offense and special teams. I have a good relationship with Bo Pelini and like his approach and his intensity to bring back the Blackshirt tradition, coupled with a “pound it down-your-throat offense”. Those two goals were a big part of me wanting to come back to Lincoln to help. Seeing Nebraska go from the top of the mountain to losing almost everything because of major change was embarrassing to me and so many others I believe in and trust.

“I came in thinking that with my experience and knowledge of the game, I would be an asset to the team, but boy, was a I ever wrong. There’s so much I didn’t understand as a player and now that I see it as a coach, you have to put in all the time to learn all the X’s and O’s, so you can be successful as a teacher. It’s a lot of pressure to take what you know as both a player and a coach and apply that to young kids, especially with all of the great expectations you place on them, week in and week out. I once read that motivation is what gets you started, but habit is what keeps you going. I’ve always felt that I was motivated, but never took the time to make a habit of being motivated. Through coaching, I’ve made a habit of being consistent in my tactics to coach and to steer kids in the direction they need to be successful. I felt I was successful in the NFL, but I also have to face the many complications that never allowed me to mature as an individual.

“So with all that I know, good and bad, I share with the team. I am who I am. I am not proud of the mistakes I’ve made, but I am proud of what I’m becoming. I see kids respecting me as both a former Nebraska player and a coach. I get goose bumps, even nervous on game days because I have to know that we’ve prepared the team to be successful. I love the sea of red on game day and the atmosphere. I love the kindness and generosity of the fans that support us both at home and on the road. At times, I miss the playing field, but never do I imagine myself running back on the field to prove a point. I like being in the position to coach and to help make players great. But even more importantly, I love being in position to help inspire young men to become better people. It’s a role I don’t take lightly.”

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                I don't think UNL ever hosted four 10 wins teams (from prior season) in history at Memorial Stadium? It could become 5 if Penn State beats Houston. nor have they played 10 bowl teams from the year before...
                Seems unlikely. We did play 10 teams that went to bowl games in 2007, four that won 10 (2 that won 12) but did not play them all again in 2008.

Comment

• So I received the 2011 Annual Report for the Univ of Nebraksa foundation today..... 2011 was the best year ever for donations, which is great news. They have reached 98% of their 2014 goal already. Great progress for the university!!!

Comment

• Your home for Mountain West Conference Sports. The Mtn. - MountainWest Sports Network is the first network dedicated to a college athletic conference. The Mtn. annually produces and airs more than 200 collegiate sporting events, including football, basketball, Olympic sports, and conference championship coverage.

Neb vs TCU highlights

Comment

• Nice name for that arena.

Comment

• Steven M. Sipple: Ron Brown dispels an annual rumor

Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 11:30 pm

Nebraska running backs coach Ron Brown has once again dispelled rumors that he is going to retire. (LJS file)

It's rumor season.

Ron Brown hears all the time that he's ready to retire. He's done with coaching, or so goes the discussion.

"Bo (Pelini) and I were talking the other day and I said, 'What the heck. Why does that come up every year?'" Brown said Monday.

"It's crazy. There's absolutely no truth to it."

Pelini, the Nebraska head coach, probably is glad to hear Brown dispel the rumor, assuming Bo gave it any credence at all.

Brown, the Husker running backs coach, said he's received several recent phone calls asking him if the retirement rumor were true. I'm sure the discussion really helps his recruiting efforts (he called me from the road).

The 55-year-old Brown, a 20-year veteran of the Nebraska staff, underwent neck surgery in 2009 to repair an old football injury, a procedure that involved fusing vertebrae. Brown wore a neck brace in practice late in the 2009 season.

Of course, the rumor mill churned back then.

"I've come back well," Brown said Monday. "I'm lifting weights. I'm working out. I'm in shape. My mind's good. I'm only 55 years old, but I feel younger than that, to be honest with you, in my energy and spirit. Sometimes my joints don't feel younger than that ...

Even so, Brown said, he hasn't even considered retirement. For one thing, he's excited about the running backs in his stable. Led by junior Rex Burkhead, the five Husker tailbacks (and fullback Tyler Legate) this season combined to rush for 1,730 yards (4.8 per carry).

*Speaking of rumors, Brown said he expects all three of his true freshman backs -- Ameer Abdullah, Braylon Heard and Aaron Green -- to return to NU for next season. "I know you hear all kinds of things," the coach said.

*Nebraska senior center Mike Caputo likely will learn from his mistake and become a better man because of it.

Still, his arrest early Sunday morning on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol was a harsh dose of news for a program that has had a clean record of late.

Caputo is a team leader. He's a stabilizing force in the locker room, not to mention the offense. An undersized walk-on from Millard North, he became a bona fide Big Red success story.

You have to think it would be heartwrenching for Caputo to have to watch his teammates in the bowl game, if it comes to that. Pelini has a huge heart. But he's also a strict disciplinarian. That's always a difficult balance to strike.

Remember, however, Pelini suspended Rickey Thenarse and Baker Steinkuhler for last season's Holiday Bowl in the wake of their December arrests for driving under the influence. Is Caputo's situation any different? You can't rush to judgment. But it doesn't look good for the 6-foot-1, 275-pound standout.

*Caputo's absence in the Capital One Bowl against South Carolina would be a significant blow to Nebraska's chances to win. The Huskers' interior offensive line isn't exactly teeming with experienced depth. A greenhorn center against this particular South Carolina line? Yikes.

*Would an athletic director take a chance on hiring Frank Solich away from Ohio?

After all, he's 67 years young. He says his energy level is tremendous. He's worked wonders with the Bobcat program. Does he have one more career move left? It seems a long shot.

Nevertheless, I thought the former Nebraska coach might get a long look from Fresno State, considering Bulldogs athletic director Thomas Boeh hired Solich at Ohio in 2004. I'm told Frank was interested in the Fresno job. Boeh, however, appears to be looking elsewhere.

*You see Ndamukong Suh angrily stomp on an opponent's arm. You see Xavier and Cincinnati basketball players engage in a bloody brawl. You see a lot of nonsense everywhere.

It makes me appreciate Tim Tebow that much more. Cue the snickers. Yeah, he likes to glorify God at every turn. That turns off some folks. I get that. But I regard it as a form of balance to offset all the disturbing (Jerry Sandusky, Bernie Fine, etc.) news.

"I don't think Tebow throws it in people's faces," said Brown, who obviously isn't afraid to publicly profess his faith. "I think he's a pretty humble guy. I don't think he comes off arrogantly about it. He's sincere. And he's got a heart for people."

Which is never a bad thing.

Comment

• A hard, clean dose of Roy Helu, cutting back off tackle, sticking his black-and-blue bruised forehead into a maze of swirling linebackers, and finishing a tough run for five yards on a cold December field in a lost season: That’s probably something the Redskins can use right about now.

Helu’s only a rookie, listed at just 6 feet tall and 216 pounds, just a fourth-round draft pick, only a third-stringer to start the season. But, as a 4-9 year and a 34-27 loss to New England on Sunday weigh them down, the Redskins actually look to the 23-year-old from Nebraska to give them something to brace against, to lean on and imagine as part of a better future.

No doubt you, and the Redskins themselves, will watch Helu on TV replays as he stiff-arms Patriot tacklers or makes them miss, staggers and stumbles for extra yards or bursts through a hole for 15 yards in a blink. But Helu probably won’t, because he probably can’t.

“I don’t think Helu even has a television. He didn’t get a computer until very late, if he even has Internet access,” said linebacker London Fletcher, chuckling approvingly. “It seems like he never leaves the facility [Redskins Park]. That’s rare for a young man. I appreciate the way he takes care of his body first and stays on top of his job before anything else.

“Sometimes you feel like saying: ‘Get away, man. Go home,’ ” Fletcher said. “But the vet doesn’t actually say it. “We are relying on him a lot.”

The Redskins, especially the younger ones who are still deciding who they are as pro athletes and as aspiring adults, won’t be hurt one bit by taking a long look at Helu, the unheralded one. It wouldn’t kill Trent Williams and Fred Davis to peek while they serve their three-time-loser suspensions.

And Helu isn’t just worth perusal because he’s now the first Redskins rookie to rush for 100 yards in three straight games — that’s 126 yards against the Patriots on top of 100 and 108 in his previous two games. Though he’s only started four NFL games, he already has five stellar days when his yards from scrimmage — rushing and receiving — were 112, 146, 162, 142 and now 132 yards.

That’s announcing your entrance. Except Helu would never do such a thing. He’s the last to dress, the least likely to talk about himself. There’s a big, old, well-worn brown book tossed in his game bag. Might be a Bible.

“This game was really vice versa — like a gift from the offensive line,” Helu said. “We were missing people. Jammal Brown went down before the game. But the holes they opened were huge. I missed a lot of them.”

Actually, Helu did miss some holes, including a big one on the goal line. Blocking in pass protection has reduced him to prayer, though he’s gotten much better. Except for one spectacular 28-yard touchdown run in Seattle when he hurdled a tackler, then scored without breaking stride, he’s showed speed but hasn’t translated it into long runs. Yet he’s averaging an elite 4.7 yards without any single run longer than that 28-yarder.

“He’s pretty solid already,” eight-year veteran tackle Sean Locklear said. “He keeps getting better reading blocks. He can get you 15, 20, 30 yards. Is he going to take one 80 yards? That’s still to be determined.”

Comment

• Caputo's backup at Center got Neb's 3rd string QB injured during the spring because he missed a block.. badly. They benched him from practicing, he was so bad.

pick SC
                            Last edited by entropy; December 13, 2011, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• btw.. Caputo was drinking, but decided to sleep in his car. His problem was he turned the vehicle on to stay warm.

should be interesting to see what happens. to some extent, you'd want a person to sleep it off rather than try to drive.

Comment

• I don't think the LPD wants to set a precedent that its OK to get all boozed up and give it a whirl behind the wheel before deciding to pull over someplace and pass out.

Bo simply has to suspend him, and with Mike goes any chance whatsoever of beating the Cocks. We might well end up under 100 yards total offense.

Comment

Working...
                                X