Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
    If the coach is suspended for five games, it's still a pretty meaningless punishment. He will still participate in practice, film sessions, game planning, recruiting, etc etc. This would be an incredibly light and lax punishment, and it would completely destroy the credibility of the NCAA.
    And lets not be naive here. Tressel, during this faux "suspension" WILL be in the stadium somewhere, with a headset (that has a microphone), talking to his coaches on the sideline, and doing everything he does when he's on the field. So, basically, the "suspension" means squat.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I know Brady Hoke admires our head coach...

Comment

• Jeff, come on you have to give credit where credit is due. The three amigos planned this whole charade out to the last detail.

In its March 8 report on Tressel’s NCAA violations, the school reported that it first learned of emails between Tressel and an attorney that would constitute at least one major NCAA violation on Jan. 13.
        From the report:
        However, on January 13, 2011, while reviewing information on an unrelated legal issue, the institution’s Office of Legal Affairs discovered an e-mail from Coach Tressel that was the subject matter of some of the activities pertaining to the University’s December 2010 NCAA self-report. The Office of Legal Affairs notified appropriate institutional officials and an additional inquiry began. One of the first actions was to conduct a search of Coach Tressel’s e-mail account. This search uncovered three e-mail strings between Coach Tressel and an attorney relating to this matter and to certain student-athletes. Two strings occurred in April 2010, and one in June 2010.
        On January 16, 2011, three days after the initial e-mail was discovered, Coach Tressel was questioned by institutional officials about his correspondence with the attomey and he acknowledged receiving these e-mails. On January 21, 2011. the institution retained The Compliance Group (TCG) to serve as an outside consultant on this matter.
        As you know, shortly thereafter, you were informed of this information and invited to participate in the institution‘s ongoing investigation. On February 8, the NCAA and institutional representatives conducted an interview of Coach Tressel. Additional joint interviews with the University and the NCAA were conducted with various individuals over the following two weeks resulting in this self-report.
        What’s troubling about that timeline is that Ohio State knew about at least one major NCAA violation - and possibly more - involving Tressel as early at Jan. 13. Yet Tressel did not formally sit down with OSU and NCAA investigators until a month later.
        Why is that important?
        National signing day was Feb. 2.
        Ohio State also released this statement to the media on March 8:
        The university became aware of this situation on Jan. 13, while reviewing information on an unrelated legal issue. The university’s Office of Legal Affairs notified the appropriate institutional officials and an investigation began immediately. After conducting additional fact finding, including questioning Tressel, the university notified the NCAA on Feb. 3.
        Unlike the above statement from an Ohio State press release, in its official report to the NCAA, Ohio State did not identify the date it notified the NCAA, which was the day after national signing day.
        In its official report to the NCAA, Ohio State noted:
        The university contends that Coach Tressel violated NCAA bylaw 10.1.
        On March 10, the COLUMBUS DISPATCH reported:
        Since 2006, the NCAA has sanctioned 27 schools for violating bylaw 10.1, which requires coaches and others to be truthful and forthcoming about possible NCAA violations. Of the 12 coaches involved, only one kept his job. The others either resigned or were fired by their schools.
        Former men’s basketball coach Jim O’Brien, one of his assistant coaches and former football running back Maurice Clarett each faced unethical-conduct charges by the NCAA. It cost all of them their careers at Ohio State.
        Had football recruits who signed with Ohio State on Feb. 2 known that information, is it unreasonable to think that Ohio State’s celebrated talent haul that day would’ve been considerably less impressive?

Comment

• Yup, I can't see Tressel getting off with the slap on the wrist OSU gave itself...

If Tressel didn't turn this information into compliance (who reports to the NCAA) and knowingly played ineligible players who received improper benefits, the NCAA won't take kindly to their '10 Bowl victory or '10 B10 Championship. Looking at similar incidents, other coaches doing pretty much the same, its hard to believe Tressel survives but if he survives anywhere, its OSU...

And if this got higher than Tressel: to their AD, that program is in deep shit. Loss of institutional control, AD won't be around any longer, probation (at minimum) and potential loss of scholarships.
          Last edited by WM Wolverine; March 17, 2011, 02:33 AM.

Comment

• I think you underestimate the intensity of psycho-schmucks. Using the smokescreen trying to fend off loss of schollies and/or probation ("I take full responsibility for the actions within my department..."), I can see Gee throwing himself on his sword to save Tressel's job. With St Jim's overall win/loss tally and his record against UM, the same delusional faction that drove Herbie out of town will apply financial pressure to insure Tressel stays put. When it really becomes crunchtime, be prepared to watch those soul-less osu abominations burst forth like pus from an oozing, canker sore in defense of their infernal deity.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• That's pretty much the way I see it too ...
              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                I think you underestimate the intensity of psycho-schmucks. Using the smokescreen trying to fend off loss of schollies and/or probation ("I take full responsibility for the actions within my department..."), I can see Gee throwing himself on his sword to save Tressel's job. With St Jim's overall win/loss tally and his record against UM, the same delusional faction that drove Herbie out of town will apply financial pressure to insure Tressel stays put. When it really becomes crunchtime, be prepared to watch those soul-less osu abominations burst forth like pus from an oozing, canker sore in defense of their infernal deity.
                I truly enjoy your use of similes and metaphors, Jon!

LOL!!

Comment

• I've never read this guy before; stumbled across his article, but anyone that makes fun of osu is OK in my book:

Comment

• Jeff that sounds like a crazy-person defense. Do you really and truly think that Tressel is a person who acts on a regular basis as a sociopath and is unable to see the true nature of his actions?

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                      Jeff that sounds like a crazy-person defense. Do you really and truly think that Tressel is a person who acts on a regular basis as a sociopath and is unable to see the true nature of his actions?
                      Well, Richard Nixon certainly fits that description.

I really don't know about tressel but someone wrote a short piece that chronicled tressel's conduct going back to YSU and found striking similarities in his conduct with regard to the Tat 5 and his conduct that got him in hot water with the NCAA at YSU. Said something like once is an honest mistake, twice is stupid and thrice is pathologic.

Anyone's call here ...... I think all the ingredients are there for a pathology, outwardly honest and thought to be above reproach, strong (usually overly strong - bible beating to an extent) religious beliefs and a penchant to flaunt it, strong indicators of egocentricity/narcissism.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Tressel is a pretty smart guy, he's better at cheating and covering this type of stuff up. The Tat 5 [& others I'm sure] clearly got in contact with someone not on Tressel's payroll.

Comment

• Seeing a post on mgoblog that Tressell has asked osu for and received an extension of his suspension from 2 to 5 games. Sounds like it was just a tweet. I can't find it in an article yet.

Too late, buddy boy. They are scramblin' now.

Edit: Never mind. Seems it was just the NCAA hearing an osu appeal for the players, as osu was trying to reduce their suspension from 5 to 2. Sounds like the 5 game suspension was upheld.

Nothing new.
                          Last edited by SeanB; March 17, 2011, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• Now it IS showing up in print:

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel announced Thursday he will accept a five-game suspension for his role in Ohio State's recent NCAA violations, sources told ESPN.com.

They are trying to squirm their way out of this. The difference between the players and the coach in this scenario is huge, IMO. Tressel is supposed to be the one leading them in the right direction. Instead, he lied. Only now, after much public criticism, does he even attempt to make amends. Too late. And too hollow.

Comment

• Another masterstroke by Tressel. He is good. I'd say take an 11-game suspension

Comment

• DSL is right. This is a good move by Tressel... a little late, but still brilliant. I may not like the 'Vest, but I give credit where credit is due. If RRod was even half as smart....

Comment

Working...
                                X