No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With good reason -- he lacked the attention to detail to make a program like this one a success.

Comment

• RichRod could make a winner out of Tulane. He could do what Chris Ault has done at Nevada.

Comment

• RR's offense was absolutely ridiculous and his disastrous Big Ten Conference record confirms the same. Any team with a defensive pulse, shut him down nearly EVERY damn game. Good riddance...Bass-Fishin' MOFO.
        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamie H View Post
          You would rather see a team win a coin toss, return a kick to the 40, gain 35 yards and kick a 42-yard FG to win?

I can't stand the NFL OT. I think college/high-school is significantly better. In the NFL, if you are not a strong defensive team then the coin toss basically determines if you win OT or not.
          I never suggested the NFL model as a replacement, but now that you mention it....yes I do prefer it. All phases of the game are involved in that model; offense, defense, special teams. Having the ball handed to you at the 25 yardline isn't football any more than starting out the 10th inning with a man on 3rd base would be considered baseball.

I would prefer college utilize the NFL method without the "sudden death" criteria. Keep playing actual football, but ensure that each team gets at least one offensive possession. Exchange possessions until you aren't tied anymore.

Comment

• I like the Holtz idea of starting at the 40. Make the offense work a little to get into fg range. Even the 40 is almost within reach for some kickers. Make it the 50.

Comment

• I stole this from mgoblog. It was posted without comment other than remember when we were hungering for Jeff Tedford to replace LC ......

Its an interesting piece and makes me feel good when I know other programs are struggling and their fan bases pissed. Like osu and ND. Good times.

It also points out how hard it is to stay on top in the current CFB world, how TV and the prurient interests (as it apples to CFB, not sex) of CFB fans who eat up the stupid shit that appears in the sports media, have f'ed up the game I love.

Frankly, I think the way you stay on top is to cheat ...... this isn't rule breaking per se. It is rule stretching, optimizing your opportunities, staying one step ahead, etc. tressel and his compliance department, fueled by a win at all costs attitude coming down from above (gee and smith), were good at this but tressel screwed it up by lying and then getting caught at it.

Carroll was good at it and he left town right before the shoe dropped. Saban and Miles are better. They know how to do it without getting found out. I believe this is a sad state of affairs in CFB and in our society in general as I've mentioned before. What can be done?

I do think some people with integrity involved in CFB do believe something ought to be done to clean up the game and get rid of the cheating on the margins but not by the NCAA. Not sure how all the realignment BS will pan out but I think an off shoot of that ought to be a new organization modeled after the mechanisms that pro sports have in place to keep the greedy owners in check ..... its not perfect but it seems to work pretty well. Can you imagine pro-teams keeping the lid on things with an organization like the NCAA?

Where Have You Gone Jeff Tedford? Sorting through the emotions and questions after Cal's ugly loss to UCLA.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• So the football Big East is now going to be:

Louisville
                Cincinnati
                Rutgers
                UConn
                South Florida
                Central Florida
                Houston
                SMU
                Air Force
                Navy
                Boise State

Comment

• Who gives a shit Strangelove.

Comment

• The great thing about the Big Least and WVA is that WVA is suing the Big Least because the Big Least wants those idiots to live up to its contractual obligations to not leave without 27 month's advance notice. WVA only seeks to enforce its contractual rights when it suits their interest. Funny that WVA says it has already paid 1/2 of the $10 million exit fee. Uh NO. Martin and Coleman paid 40% of WVA's exit fee. Would love to see WVA fucked when the courts say "honor your exit fee contracts ala Richrod precedent. God, ya gotta love litigation! right Talent!

Comment

• Stan, do you think the Big East will split into divisions?

Comment

• 11 teams as proposed, waiting on a 12th (BYU) to accept an invite., even if it takes awhile, if they get a 12th, I'd imagine they'll go with divisions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                          I never suggested the NFL model as a replacement, but now that you mention it....yes I do prefer it. All phases of the game are involved in that model; offense, defense, special teams.
                          No they aren't If a team scores on the first possession, they never play defense and the other team never plays offense.

Since you used a baseball analogy, the current NFL system is like playing extra innings in baseball as sudden death, where the game ends if the visiting team scores in the top of the 10th. How stupid would that be? That is what the NFL does.

I wish the NFL would actually take a page from soccer (yeah, I know, gag) and institute a full 15 minute OT for the playoffs, where whoever is ahead at the end of the 5th quarter wins. Then maybe you go to sudden death if the game is still tied after 5 quarters. But OT games would then last FOREVER.

Comment

• Not to say anything about the increased risk of injury

Comment

• More on the ugly goings-on at Penn State. Not only has the former defensive coordinator been arrested on suspicion of heinous crimes, but it appears the athletic director and a university vice-president are in serious trouble, as well.

Authorities say a former Penn State football coach who faces charges that he sexually abused eight young men has been released on bail.
                              Last edited by JRB; November 5, 2011, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• yow .... that's some serious crap going on there ...
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X