No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boone Pickens in 2005: Hire Mike Holder as athletic director or I won't donate the money

OKLAHOMA STATE -- Mega-booster Boone Pickens recounts his decision to donate hundreds of millions of dollars to his alma mater, and how OSU's former president needed a little convincing on the terms.

BY JENNI CARLSON, Staff Writer

Oklahoma State megabooster Boone Pickens gave his alma mater $165 million in Dec. 2005, but the gift was much longer in the making. And as Pickens explained Wednesday during the Jim Thorpe Association's October Leadership Luncheon, the donation might never have been made had it not been for what happened in Sept. 2005 ? the hiring of Mike Holder as athletic director.

?Mike came to the ranch ? we hunted together and got to know each other very well ? and (he) kept saying, ?You want to be competitive and we're not competitive.' He said, ?Our facilities are horrible.' I said, ?Well, figure up how much it'll take to be competitive.' I'm doing pretty good about this time. I'm making some money. I'd just gotten out of a bad divorce, so I knew exactly what I had. I had exactly half of what I did have.

?Mike had this spread sheet, and this spread sheet kept getting bigger, but I was not giving him any money. He finally brought the spread sheet over and said, ?$300 million will make us competitive.' ?$300 million? I'm not going to give you $300 million.'

?That was wrong.

?We're getting serious in 2005, and I said, ?I can tell you one thing, I'm not going to give OSU $300 million until I've got somebody over there that I think knows what they're doing and taking care of the money.' Well, I knew he was tighter than hell. He'd raised so much money for OSU golf, built that golf course over there, never borrowed any money and had money in the bank. He could've built another golf course. I said, ?I've gotta have somebody that looks after the money closely.' He said, ?Well, what're you thinkin'?' I said, ?I'm thinkin' you.' He said, ?Well, I don't want to be athletic director.' I said, ?Fine, roll up your sheet. I don't want to give $300 million.'

?Then I really hurt his feelings. I said, ?You know, you've gone through pretty well most of your life with your feet on the handle bars.' He said, ?Well, what do you mean by that?' I said, ?You figured out how to win at golf, and you just keep doing it over and over again, and it's gotten so it's easy. So, you don't really ever have to pedal. You just get on and everything goes smooth for you.' He said, ?I didn't have my feet on the handle bars.' I said, ?Well, you need to be challenged. You need to get a job where you're really challenged.' He said, ?Well, what are you thinking about?' I said, ?I'm thinking about you as athletic director. You love the university. You've raised money. You like all the sports. You go to all the games whether golf, football or anything else. You're over there, you and (wife) Robbie are, at everything. You'd be perfect for the job. Now, I've got to convince Dave Schmidly you're perfect for the job, too.'

?Schmidly, he wasn't sure. He needed to do a world-wide search for an athletic director. I said, ?You'd better think about doing a world-wide search for $300 million.'

?It went down pretty easy.?
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Boone Pickens needs to be ‘convinced on West Virginia'

Speaking at the Jim Thorpe Association's Leadership Luncheon, Oklahoma State booster Boone Pickens said he's still a little uncertain about adding West Virginia to the Big 12. Pickens also talked about his vision for Big 12 equality.

The Oklahoma State megabooster is never short on opinions. Before speaking Wednesday at the Jim Thorpe Association's October Leadership Luncheon, Pickens dished on everything from conference realignment to Mike Gundy's salary.

--Conference realignment is bubbling up again. You liked the addition of TCU to the Big 12. What about the possibility of West Virginia?

Well, I've got to be convinced on West Virginia. I haven't seen anything on the school. But TCU was easy. That was like coming home.

--What are your concerns about West Virginia?

Morgantown… as I remember, you've got to fly into Pittsburgh and then drive a couple hours. That's pretty isolated.

--You've always favored the Big 12. If it survives, does it matter what form it's in?

To me, you go out here to West Virginia, you're going to go a long way. I didn't like the Pac-10 for that reason. I feel like in the Pac-10, you're going to end up in an east division and end up playing the schools you played before. So why not just hold the Big 12 together? I still believe we can save the Big 12, but I say that Texas is going to have to look like the rest of us in the Big 12 instead of looking like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I don't like that. As long as there's a difference between what Texas has and what the rest of us have, it's going to be a problem every year until you finally go to an equal conference.

--There's been talk of a conference television network. Would that be good for OSU?

Well, a conference network would offset the Longhorn Network. But the Sooners, I saw where they wanted to do their own network, so I don't know. I don't know how this thing's going to turn out. But as long as things are not the same, you're going to waste a lot of time talking about it, so just get the same contract for everybody. Everybody's equal. If you'd have had that, you wouldn't have lost the Aggies, you wouldn't have lost Nebraska and Colorado, and it looks like Missouri's going. It's because things are not equal.

--Are you more or less optimistic now that the Big 12 will hold together?

I think we're working in that direction that somehow we're going to fix it to where we're all equal. But we're not there yet.

--Switching gears to your football coach. Is Mike Gundy due a raise?

Well, I don't think this is the time to talk about it. I'm sure that discussion will take place at the end of the year, but the middle of the season, I think Gundy and all the rest of us are focused on football and the games that are coming up. There'll be a time to talk about salary.

--His job as the Cowboy coach — what are you most pleased with?

A big part of it is W and L. He's 7-0 this year. We'll see how we finish up, but that, of course, will be part of the discussion. But also record doesn't just mean your winning record. His staff has stuck together. The longer your staff sticks together, there's no question your recruiting will continue to get better. Those guys are working the same areas in recruiting. You're not sending a new face in there to meet the players and the families. Joe Castiglione … we were sitting together at the National Football Foundation board meeting, and Joe said to me, “You guys are committed.” It's very clear to everybody — we are committed.

Comment

• if it wasn't obvious before who ran oSu athletics, those articles clear it up.

Comment

• Stewart Mandel: Legendary Bill Snyder sparking second monumental Kansas State revival
          Resurrecting a program once is hard enough. Bill Snyder has done it twice. As surprising Kansas State prepares to face Oklahoma, Stewart Mandel examines Snyder's incredible work.

More...

Comment

• Southeastern Conference officials said Friday that the conference's web vendor mistakenly published a news release Thursday night announcing Missouri as the league's newest member.

More...

Comment

• West Virginia leaving Big East to join Big 12 in '12
              The Big 12 on Friday invited West Virginia to join the league next season, giving the conference a replacement for Missouri and dealing another setback to the beleaguered Big East.

More...

Comment

• Houston's Case Keenum threw nine touchdown passes to set the Football Bowl Subdivision record for career TD tosses as the Cougars (No. 17 BCS, No. 18 AP) overcame a slow start in a 73-34 win over Rice on a rain soaked Thursday night.

More...

Comment

• Watching Horns-Jayhawks on TV? Only if you've got the elusive Longhorn Network

By Gary Dinges
                  AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
                  Updated: 9:54 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 27, 2011
                  Published: 8:56 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 27, 2011
                  E-mail Print Share Larger Type
                  Bad news for those who bleed burnt orange: Most Central Texans won't be able to watch Saturday's Kansas-Texas game.

The matchup — like Texas' season opener against Rice — will air exclusively on the Longhorn Network, which, in Central Texas, is available to about 20,000 Grande Communications subscribers.

Nationwide, the network reaches just more than 4 million homes — mostly Verizon FiOS customers, including some in North Texas.

Those who can't tune in are, to put it mildly, upset.

"What about all of us great fans out there who can't be in the stands?" said Richard Milos, a Time Warner Cable customer.

Time Warner Cable, the area's dominant pay-TV provider, and several other cable companies have yet to come to terms with ESPN, which operates LHN.

"We have to reach an agreement with the programmer, and in this case it is ESPN," reads a Time Warner Cable statement to the American-Statesman. "We have had discussions with ESPN about the Longhorn Network. There are no updates to report."

AT&T U-verse, DirecTV, Dish Network and Suddenlink subscribers are out of luck, as well.

The sticking point appears to be cash compensation. ESPN is reportedly asking for as much as 40 cents per subscriber per month — more than many of cable TV's most-watched networks.

"I am amazed that ESPN and UT put this deal together without a commitment from a major cable provider," said Mark Dillon, a UT alumnus living in Atlanta.

Started in late August, LHN is the result of a 20-year, $300 million deal ESPN inked with UT. The network launched an aggressive media campaign leading up to this weekend's game, urging Central Texans to consider switching to Grande. Ads popped up on billboards, cable TV, local radio stations and in the American-Statesman.

A Grande spokesman declined Thursday to say whether the ads had helped increase its subscriber base.

ESPN provided this statement: "We've attempted to do similar deals with Time Warner Cable, DirecTV, AT&T U-verse, Dish and Comcast. Unfortunately, these operators have not engaged in active negotiations in the past month. We are disappointed they are choosing to deprive Texas fans of this weekend's Kansas-UT game, as well as other valuable content."

Network executives say they're hopeful that additional announcements will come soon, but their primary focus has been on developing programming for LHN.

"We're turning out some really, really good stuff — broadcasts that look like what you'd see on ESPN," said Stephanie Druley, one of LHN's vice presidents.

Aside from football, LHN will air about 200 live UT sporting events each year, including baseball and volleyball matchups. The network also picked up the rights to a number of UT-San Antonio football games.

"It's incredibly valuable for UT fans," Druley said. "When they get it, they're going to love it."

gdinges@statesman.com; 912-5987

Texas-Kansas on (big-screen) TV

The Longhorn Network, which has exclusive broadcast rights for Saturday's Texas-Kansas matchup, will show the game — for free — on a pair of big-screen TVs adjacent to Royal-Memorial Stadium.

The sites are:

Parking Lot No. 70, on the south side of Myers Stadium.

The northeast corner of 15th and Trinity streets.

The LHN broadcasts will begin on both 12-by-9 TVs at 2 p.m.

— Gary Dinges

Comment

• The Big East is threatening to play hardball with West Virginia, Syracuse, and Pitt, saying they will hold them to the 27-month waiting period.

BE will be raiding CUSA. Looks like Central Florida, SMU, Houston are the main targets and may have already gotten invites

Comment

• Joining the Big East for football now is boarding a sinking ship.

Comment

• Virginia Tech is in real trouble today against Duke. Half of VT's starting defense is out due to injury, the kickers are either hurt or terrible, and VT's struggling to play with energy in what amounts to a high school environment. As a result, Duke's been able to hang around and make plays, and the Blue Devils are close to taking the lead going into the fourth quarter.

Comment

• I liked the Big East for basketball but now they are becoming a muck pile.

Comment

• Stanford and usc are going to OT.

Comment

• 3OT now...yet another example of why I hate college's OT structure.

Comment

• SC fumbles into the EZ to lose the game!

Comment

Working...
                                X