No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of "all-time" -- it looks the Covid will end up doing M a favor. Ohio State was only 38 wins behind M for the all-time lead entering 2020 (FYI, OSU passed M for all-time winning percentage in 2019). This year was shaping up to be a possibly +6 year for OSU (M@6-6; OSU at 12-2) or maybe even better. As it is, it'll probably only be +3 or +4 at best.

That's a monstrously hard hill to climb. Ohio State was -79 entering this Millenium and still has only shaved off 41 over the course of the greatest 19-year stretch and OSU fan could hope for. Of course, they did give away 12 wins to total bullshit.
    Last edited by iam416; December 2, 2020, 08:14 AM.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Speaking of Covid and football, Herbstreit has issued a video apology for suggesting that M would duck Ohio State with a Covid excuse. Heh.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I'm sure he was sobbing like a girl at some point, too.

Comment

• Since 2002, Ohio State is 204-32 in games played. But, unfortunately, only has 2 MNCs. Still, not a terrible 18-year run.

Incidentally, HARBAUGH!!!!! lost his 22nd game at M on Saturday.

Comment

• Honestly, Talent, I’m not sure that ND is tied with Ohio State. I drop the Domers a bit because (like M) they have had a decades-long swath of not winning anything. You get 2 or 3 decades or more from a championship, your stock has to drop - Just like DSL’s beloved Yalies.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I think you can very easily make the case that Ohio State has been the most consistent program in CFB. But, in terms of wins, winning percentage, national titles, individual awards, brand name -- OSU and Notre Dame are exceptionally close. I guess if you wanted to ding them for recency failures -- and certainly, the Davie Era to roughly the last 2 years was brutal -- that's fair. But, Ohio State had a stretch from 1980 to 1994 where they weren't a meaningful national title contender.

But, yes, if I had to choose I'd take Ohio State over Notre Dame.

1. UAT

2. OSU
              3. Notre Dame

4. Oklahoma

5. M

6. USC
              7. Texas

8. Nebraska
              9. Penn State
              Last edited by iam416; December 2, 2020, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• The 10th spot is probably an SEC team and I'd probably go w/ LSU over UTK. Clemson is the other program I'd consider, but I just can't get there. If I'm going to reward a remarkably bright but short period of football then I'd be more inclined to go w/ Miami.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                  Speaking of Covid and football, Herbstreit has issued a video apology for suggesting that M would duck Ohio State with a Covid excuse. Heh.
                  He shouldn't have apologized.

The only thing he was wrong about was the timing.

He said that Michigan could "surrender" due to Covid, and end up ruining OSU's spot in the CCG and playoffs.

Fact of the matter is, Michigan football surrendered to OSU the day after Bo died. They've won only one game since then, and have no chance of winning another for at least another 5 years.

That's total surrender. Herbie was right.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• As far as Texas goes, I think they are the proof that a good coach is essential. Mack Brown, who is competent (but not a top level coach) was 158-48 with a NC at Texas. Since then, Texas with a group of UAB quality coaches in Strong and Herman have been 46-39. You just can’t overcome mediocre coaching. Look what Dubose and Shula did to Alabama.

Comment

• For better or for worse Notre Dame has played for the BCS title, gone to the playoffs once, and is probably going to the playoffs again this year, all in the past decade. That's a lot more than some of the other "what have you done for me lately?" kind of programs can say.

I put LSU in the top 10 now because they have 4 poll era national titles, have a pretty solid all-time win %, and I weight recent decades more heavily than Michigan-friendly decades when Yale, Carlisle, and the Haskell Institute were also kings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                        For better or for worse Notre Dame has played for the BCS title, gone to the playoffs once, and is probably going to the playoffs again this year, all in the past decade. That's a lot more than some of the other "what have you done for me lately?" kind of programs can say.

I put LSU in the top 10 now because they have 4 poll era national titles, have a pretty solid all-time win %, and I weight recent decades more heavily than Michigan-friendly decades when Yale, Carlisle, and the Haskell Institute were also kings.
                        They have also had a kid climb a scissor lift in a windstorm and sent him to an untimely death so that he could film a practice. That kind of callous indifference toward human life so that you can get a good practice video has to count for something.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

They have also had a kid climb a scissor lift in a windstorm and sent him to an untimely death so that he could film a practice. That kind of callous indifference toward human life so that you can get a good practice video has to count for something.
                          That happened when Tressel was still coach at OSU. I remember because we were practicing that same day and conditions in Columbus were almost identical, only Gentleman Jim ordered his student interns down from the lifts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

That happened when Tressel was still coach at OSU. I remember because we were practicing that same day and conditions in Columbus were almost identical, only Gentleman Jim ordered his student interns down from the lifts.
                            The fact that Kelly skated on that with a shoulder shrug and ND writing a check will always amaze me. You think it would have blown over (pun intended) so easily had Saban killed a kid?

Comment

• The list of most weeks at #1 in the AP poll actually echoes a lot of our lists of all-time great teams. The most notable outlier is Florida State at #6. None of us had them that high (and rightfully so, imo).

Comment

• I feel comfortable w/ my top 4.

Comment

Working...
                                X